AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-05-18, 11:21   Link #21
Seitsuki
Onee!

Honestly, that's pretty much just a manufactured 'weakness' in an attempt to make it seem like he's not the all-powerful god of the setting. It's like how the emotionally gimped aspect supposedly makes him awkward socially (as repeatedly emphasised by Imouto-sama in earlier volumes) but then whenever he interacts with others they're all blown away by how mature and smooth he is. Sure he loses in 'practice' matches and whatnot but whenever it's a fight that actually matters he'll never lose so it's not really an issue.
Old 2014-05-18, 12:36   Link #22
nosaer

pretty sure he had his rampage stopped by kazama, and his ass handed to him by kazama as well. Tatsuya's serious fights, other than those against Lina weren't against top notch magicians, and had Lina not been so soft, she definitely could've beaten him. Im not saying that Tatsuya isn't immensely powerful, just that he is not unbeatable.
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-18, 13:03   Link #23
renuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post
pretty sure he had his rampage stopped by kazama, and his ass handed to him by kazama as well. Tatsuya's serious fights, other than those against Lina weren't against top notch magicians, and had Lina not been so soft, she definitely could've beaten him. Im not saying that Tatsuya isn't immensely powerful, just that he is not unbeatable.
I wouldn't be so sure about Lina being able to beat him in a truly serious fight, given that he wasn't trying to kill her either. She certainly wouldn't be the easiest of fight though.

Clearly Kazama needs to be the end boss.
renuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 08:34   Link #24
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by renuac View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about Lina being able to beat him in a truly serious fight, given that he wasn't trying to kill her either. She certainly wouldn't be the easiest of fight though.

Clearly Kazama needs to be the end boss.
And didn't Tatsuya fight Lina at only 50% of his power as he was still suppressed by Miyuki?
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 11:36   Link #25
Echizen777

Tatsuya's limitation only reduces his Psion count to use MB. So it's not that problematic since he has way more psions than everyone excepted his father.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 03:07   Link #26
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777
Erika and Leo certainly aren't A. But Mayumi and Mari are S IMO. Erika and Leo are way weaker than them. Tatsuya, Katsuto and Miyuki are the only ones at 1st high who are a match for these 2 .
Wait what, are you saying Mayumi and Mari are on the same level of fighting power as Tatsuya/Katsuto/Miyuki ?
That makes absolutely no sense, Katsuto is the heir of his clan, Tatsuya is one of the most powerful magicians in the entire world, how can you compare Mayumi or Mari to them ? Even the combination of both would lose to them. And how is Erika and Leo not A rank ? Especially Erika.(I'm not ranking them according to magic power but fighting prowess, just making sure i clarified that)

Last edited by LKK; 2014-06-02 at 18:39.
Jirachier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 17:48   Link #27
rladls2121

Is there any Korean characters well known in this series?
Because I skip some parts In the novel, I might have missed it.
Just like any light novels, why there are no Korean characters?
Even Chinese characters shows up in some novels, so why not Koreans?
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 17:56   Link #28
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
GAA is formed by China, Korea and Dahan but I don't remember a notable Korean character being mentioned. I don't see why it would be a necessity though. In vol 3 he said he was thinking about names for even less represented countries.
Old 2014-06-03, 17:57   Link #29
guestuser

Quote:
did u check the map korea and china merge and became the great asian alliance
guestuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 18:06   Link #30
rladls2121

Yes, I saw the map from the anime version though.

Wait Echizen, isn't Korea and Dahan is basically the same country?
Old 2014-06-03, 18:28   Link #31
IceHism

Quote:
Yes, I saw the map from the anime version though.

Wait Echizen, isn't Korea and Dahan is basically the same country?
No. Dahan is like the northern part of china i believe.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 18:36   Link #32
rladls2121

Weird? I thought the Korea is gone and the country name is changed to Dahan.
And Tatsuya blew up that place was not Korea, but it was actually Dahan.
I must have misread it then.

Seriously China absorbed Korea and in the series, and Korean are just nameless soldiers.
At least give out the certain Korean names.
Old 2014-06-03, 19:18   Link #33
IceHism

Quote:
Weird? I thought the Korea is gone and the country name is changed to Dahan.
And Tatsuya blew up that place was not Korea, but it was actually Dahan.
I must have misread it then.

Seriously China absorbed Korea and in the series, and Korean are just nameless soldiers.
At least give out the certain Korean names.
There are still a lot of volumes to go so we may have a badass korean enemy later in the series.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 20:05   Link #34
Astraeia

Hmm... no, sorry , I don't see that happening. Mahouka doesn't exactly have a good track record of badass enemies.

The people from school are all incompetent fools, stand corrected or are constructive allies or friends
The Ichijou heir is a joke character by now
The white tiger guy, after all the hype, gets horribly trashed twice in a row, the second time lethally I think. Talk about a disappointment
Lina is a friend
Kudou Retsu, a political badass as we are informed, is forced into retirement for real after one single plot that's not even malevolent towards the Shibas (Wait, didn't he tell Kazama about a plan to get Tatsuya away from Miyuki? What ever happened to that?)
The Yotsuba phantom menace? They've been surprisingly supportive considering their introduction as the oppressive boogeyman and Maya even stated they won't ever risk Tatsuya's resentment

Is anyone else left? Kouichi? I can't see him as anything but a tool. The Chinese Saint? Considering how well anything he or his subordinates touched so far went, I'm not holding my breath.
Astraeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 13:38   Link #35
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
So not fair that hidden Yotsuba have dominated First High. Imagine if Ayako and Fumiya also went to First High What's your list of the powerful students going to look like? Mine's like this:

1) Tatsuya
2)Miyuki
3)Minami
4)Tomitsuka
5)Shizuku/Morisaki?/Mikihiko
6)Erika/Morisaki?/Saegusa twins
7)Shippou
8)Leo
9)Honoka/Mizuki
10)

I might have overestimated Morisaki a bit but I think he really is strong. It's just his bad luck that he's in the same year as the miracle Yotsubas.
Anyway, I'm still missing a bunch of people like Eimi, Chiaki, Azusa, Hattori and Kent.
1-Tatsuya
2-Miyuki
3-Minami
4-Hanzo, Sawaki (both are confirmed stronger than Tomitsuka but I think Sawaki is stronger since Hanzo isn't specialized in 1VS1)
5-Tomitsuka
6-Mikihiko
7-Kanon, Erika, Leo
8-Morisaki, Kirihara, Shizuku

The twins and Shippou are weaker than all of them but it's because they lack training or they would be at Minami's level. They will probably reach that level after the 9SC as implied by Shizuku and Honoka.

Honoka and the rest are talented but not good fighters.
Old 2014-06-30, 14:00   Link #36
millie10468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
1-Tatsuya
2-Miyuki
3-Minami
4-Hanzo, Sawaki (both are confirmed stronger than Tomitsuka but I think Sawaki is stronger since Hanzo isn't specialized in 1VS1)
5-Tomitsuka
6-Mikihiko
7-Kanon, Erika, Leo
8-Morisaki, Kirihara, Shizuku

The twins and Shippou are weaker than all of them but it's because they lack training or they would be at Minami's level. They will probably reach that level after the 9SC as implied by Shizuku and Honoka.

Without the Yotsubas, Hanzo might have been the strongest. Do we know if he's from either the 28 Assistant clans or the 1000 families? Or is he like Mari? I can't quite remember if we've been told.

But it might hit an iceberg...
millie10468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 14:20   Link #37
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie10468 View Post
Without the Yotsubas, Hanzo might have been the strongest. Do we know if he's from either the 28 Assistant clans or the 1000 families? Or is he like Mari? I can't quite remember if we've been told.
A little like Mari but she is far better than him or he could have been a match for her. He panicked when she asked if he wanted to challenge her in vol 1 for a reason .
At least he was in the top 5 before the Shiba siblings arrival and was certain to be able to beat anyone but the 3rd year trio. Probably that the ranking before their arrival was: Katsuto, Mayumi/Mari, Sawaki/Hanzo(far behind those 3 of course ).

We know nothing about his family excepted that he is descendant of Hattori Hanzo. If he was from the Numbers I think it would have been mentioned in the first volumes.

Spoiler for Quote:

Last edited by Echizen777; 2014-06-30 at 14:38.
Old 2014-07-01, 05:13   Link #38
amtro
Distro

Rereading vol 3. Apparently non-standardized flight is considered to be a superpower. Any chance of the superpower users becoming relevant in the future? To be honest I'm sort of fed up of magic power elitists and hundred family scrubs. Also was it ever confirmed if superpower users are the same as BS magicians?
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-01, 09:56   Link #39
nosaer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post

I think at the bottom of your post is where you bring up the best point. How should we determine the strongest students? If we go by Magic power/talent then Tatsuya definitely wouldn't be first, and at least half the student population is stronger than Leo and Erika, who are rated so highly because we see them with Tatsuya. If its strictly based on fighting abilities, then you would probably want to include people like kirihara and maybe even mibu on the list (her sword skill may not be at Erika's level, but there's probably not another student left who's better then her now).
nosaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 06:18   Link #40
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaer View Post
I think at the bottom of your post is where you bring up the best point. How should we determine the strongest students? If we go by Magic power/talent then Tatsuya definitely wouldn't be first, and at least half the student population is stronger than Leo and Erika, who are rated so highly because we see them with Tatsuya. If its strictly based on fighting abilities, then you would probably want to include people like kirihara and maybe even mibu on the list (her sword skill may not be at Erika's level, but there's probably not another student left who's better then her now).
Yes, MP doesn't translate necessarily to combat power, isn't Tatsuya the best proof of that?

I thought about Mibu too, she is stronger than Honoka for sure. For me it's like that:

1-Your genetics, obviously.
2-Your affinities( may be talented but not fit for combat, like Honoka and Ayako, though Ayako should be superior to most magicians less talented than her in combat)
3-Physical abilities, weaponry, martial arts, training and other factors not considered to rate the MP(ESP, superpowers ancient magic).

Leo is one of the best examples, he is a tank and Erika thought he might be able to beat Hanzo or Kiirihara with a good weapon, though I am convinced he is stronger than Kirihara I don't think he is close to Hanzo's level.

I don't think even Tatsuya can beat him at CQC without using his specialized magics.