Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2019-11-28, 21:01   Link #81
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Manga Retelling Torture of Muslim Woman in China Goes Viral:

"Artist Tomomi Shimizu's manga retelling the account of an incarcerated and tortured
Uighur woman in China has spread around the world with translations in multiple
languages. What Has Happened to Me (available here in English) is told from the
perspective of 29-year-old wife and mother Mihrigul Tursun who was detained at the
Ürümqi airport in China while attempting to visit her parents with her young triplets.
Her children were separated from her, she was tortured, and one of her infants died in
custody.

She was released back to her home in Qiemo County, an area of China that neighbors
Tibet but authorities would summon her again.The woman stated that she was
interrogated and beaten for three days. When she muttered "Allah," she claimed her
attackers mocked her and she was moved into a cell under 24-hour surveillance with
50 other prisoners. That's when the brainwashing program started.

The woman and her fellow prisoners were led to pray to the leader of the communist
party, Xi Jinping, and sing songs praising communism. She said she was forced to
ingest pills and receive injections. She'd later discover that the drugs left her infertile.
After her release and yet another detainment, Tursun was able to get the Egyptian
government involved on behalf of her children, who hold dual citizenship. She took
her children to Egypt to discover that 26 of her relatives were arrested and would not
be released unless she returned to China within two months. She asked the
authorities why she had to suffer.

"Because you are Uygher.""

See:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...-viral/.153745

That's horrifying, but everything something this horrible makes public, I also worry about Chinese minorities in certain countries.

Demagogue clerics will often direct the anger at Chinese minorities
Even though there no relation between Chinese immigrants living in the country and what the Chinese Government is doing

Really, is making this into a manga the best way to do this?

I can already imagine the anti-Chinese immigrant propaganda leaflets in countries like Indonesia.
I guess what I'm trying to say is they're sensationalizing this in a bad way? is it just me?

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell

Last edited by Key Board; 2019-11-28 at 21:14.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 00:50   Link #82
Toukairin
Banned

For the same reason why the details of the Holocaust were made public after 1945, it was for the sake and hope that such horror would not happen again. However since China has decided to go down that path, their crimes have to be denounced in public so they cannot hide behind anything.

There is indeed a risk that Chinese minorities would become the target of generalized outrage and anger. However, the worst part is that several Chinese minorities chose to go by Beijing's talking points rather than looking at the facts. Considering how many Chinese immigrants are showing plenty of intolerance towards Uyghur and Tibetan expats in Western countries, they can definitely not expect much sympathy after they chose sides. Now if (mainland) Chinese immigrants don't want to be associated with this, then they should stop spreading all the lies they are being fed by their own government for starters.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2019-11-29 at 04:36.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-29, 07:26   Link #83
Key Board
Carbon

Yeah, but is a manga that is sensationalized this way the right medium though?
It doesn't help that a sizable amount of the Japanese manga-sphere are racist against Chinese people.
I'm looking at that one scan on ANN and I go "hmm.does this look like a racist caricature to me?"
I don't know, This whole thing just feels uncomfortable

Regarding Chinese descendants in other countries. I won't pretend to know how it is in every Chinese diaspora. I know there's at least some mainland supporters in HongKong, and that's unfortunate.
But I can say the ones in Indonesia certainly know mainland China doesn't care for them, and have been long divorced from it culturally. And it doesn't help they had to culturally purge a lot of their Chinese roots after the "failed communist coup". (which weren't done by any Chinese)

Speaking of which, they too have been a victim of ethnic targeted violence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discri...se_Indonesians
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_19...s_of_Indonesia

But yeah, I get your point. But as someone who has personally lived in Indonesia and seeing all the misery happening, it strikes a personal chord to me.
Especially since populist nationalisism is making a comeback globally.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2019-12-15, 15:43   Link #84
Toukairin
Banned

Speaking of China acting like a big baby, that has to be the new low.

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal-Manchester City game removed from schedules by China state TV (BBC)

I have never really been a fan of Mesut Özil, but I have to applaud him for calling China out here. As for China's reaction, that is 10 times worse than any tantrum that Trump could throw when he's not happy about someone high-profile who is criticizing him.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-15, 16:14   Link #85
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Speaking of China acting like a big baby, that has to be the new low.

Mesut Ozil: Arsenal-Manchester City game removed from schedules by China state TV (BBC)

I have never really been a fan of Mesut Özil, but I have to applaud him for calling China out here. As for China's reaction, that is 10 times worse than any tantrum that Trump could throw when he's not happy about someone high-profile who is criticizing him.
I can't say if it's ''ten time worse'' but it is more hurtful and effective.
Old 2019-12-15, 23:33   Link #86
AnimeFan188

China ramps up campaign to redefine 'human rights':

"China is ramping up a global campaign to promote its own vision of human rights,
inviting the likes of North Korea and Syria to a forum on the topic and drafting other
countries to back its policies at the UN.

Western nations have condemned China's rights record, including a security
crackdown that has detained an estimated one million mostly Muslim minorities in re-
education camps in northwest Xinjiang region.

China is responding with an increasingly strong counter-narrative, which emphasises
security and economic development over civil and political freedoms.

"The people of each country all have the right to decide for themselves their human
rights development path," Chinese vice foreign minister Ma Zhaoxu told delegates at a
summit on the issue this week.

Attendees at the "South-South human rights forum" included representatives from
North Korea, Pakistan and Syria -- three countries with their own chequered human
rights records.

One of the speakers at the forum was a political adviser to President Bashar al-Assad,
who has been accused of a series of chemical attacks and indiscriminate bombings of
civilian targets in Syria's civil war.

"I believe China can, with the help of all developing countries, redefine human rights,"
Bouthaina Shaaban said in a speech that blasted Western countries for wanting to
"create all of us in their own image"."

See:

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3954/chi...ts-doc-1mz2ud1
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-23, 05:20   Link #87
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
China fuck over the millions of people in Indochinese peninsula whose lives depend on the Mekong.
Old 2022-01-25, 18:45   Link #88
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Romantic expressions in Re:Zero were censored in China

https://en.datosjam.net.pe/anime/ota...ored-in-china/

China gives 'Fight Club' new ending where authorities win

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/22...uthorities-win
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-02-07, 16:37   Link #89
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Original ‘Fight Club’ Ending Restored in China After Censorship Backlash

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...sh-1235087894/

Re:zero (and many other Hollywood flicks) were not so lucky ...
Old 2022-02-09, 12:27   Link #90
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I think it is no coincidence that after the peasant revolt in Kazakhstan was crushed by Russian stormtroopers and said government became closer to Russia, China is making sure they still have a path to trade with Europe in case normal land and sea routes get blocked.

Argentina and China seal Silk Road deal

https://www.dw.com/en/argentina-and-...eal/a-60679278
Old 2022-02-14, 22:35   Link #91
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Chinese fans of 'Friends' angry after show re-released with censorship

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ip-2022-02-13/
Old 2022-02-17, 10:10   Link #92
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Chinese fans of 'Friends' angry after show re-released with censorship

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/...ip-2022-02-13/
Incidentally, Friends is ridiculously popular among China people. Ask any one of them and they'll know it....I have no idea why
Old 2022-02-17, 11:34   Link #93
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

But never fear, China has not forgotten to impose censorship on recent anime, see if you can pinpoint the erotic material that no doubt would damage kids all ages.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2022-02-23, 00:08   Link #94
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

A Chinese news outlet accidentally leaked its own censorship instructions on Russia-Ukraine coverage

https://news.yahoo.com/chinese-news-...211350671.html

Simply put, China has to back Russia up with emotional and moral support while refraining from treading on the toes of the United States and European Union,
Old 2022-03-26, 16:10   Link #95
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

As Far as China Is Concerned, Keanu Reeves No Longer Exists

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...bet/ar-AAVsDgu

Last Monday, China’s major streamers removed the vast majority of Reeves’ filmography from their sites and wiped search results related to his name in Chinese — the cumbersome transliteration “Jinu Liweisi.”
Old 2022-03-26, 17:14   Link #96
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

All those Matrix memes and parodies....
Old 2022-03-27, 22:48   Link #97
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Why is China's military so shockingly corrupt? Will Xi jinping be able to control the army?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hENyRScto

If what this video says is true, then china's army might be a mirror image of the russian army, a big bully that can push around small and weak adversaries, but hasn't won a war since WWII and can be stopped in its track by an smaller but more capable army *coff* Taiwain *coff*

Not only that, xi jingping seems not entirely in control of the military, which might do a coup'de etat if he makes a false move (like embarrassing china the same way putin has embarrased russia in the world arena).
Old 2022-03-28, 01:07   Link #98
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Why is China's military so shockingly corrupt? Will Xi jinping be able to control the army?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5hENyRScto

If what this video says is true, then china's army might be a mirror image of the russian army, a big bully that can push around small and weak adversaries, but hasn't won a war since WWII and can be stopped in its track by an smaller but more capable army *coff* Taiwain *coff*

Not only that, xi jingping seems not entirely in control of the military, which might do a coup'de etat if he makes a false move (like embarrassing china the same way putin has embarrased russia in the world arena).
Honestly this is an inherent problem with military. Every military wants to save face and present a tough guy image. But as a result, every intel or self assessment you get can be skewed either by ego, pleasing autocrats, or the military industrial agenda. criticisms becomes harder.

The US has problems with this too. The famed Navy SEALs? It only means you have a high pain tolerance. It doesn’t say anything else about your performance. And let’s just day they’re not promoting the brightest guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

China Violates The PhilippinesÂ’ Sovereignty While Russia
Distracts The U.S.:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jillgol...tracts-the-us/
China has been having territorial debuts with over 10 countries.

I'm getting reports from Indonesia that they're exerting pressure over the Natuna islands again. And island that is mostly inhabited by Malay Indonesians.

I worry because I have family in Indonesia and every time mainland China does some dumb shit, the blame always seems to fall on Chinese diasporas who want nothing to do with the mainland

//

Last edited by Key Board; 2022-03-28 at 04:33.
Old 2022-03-28, 01:33   Link #99
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
but hasn't won a war since WWII and can be stopped in its track by an smaller but more capable army *coff* Taiwain *coff*
Wait what?
PRC literally came to existence by winning the civil war and kicking ROC to Taiwan.
Old 2022-03-28, 03:04   Link #100
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So, a Fourth Taiwan Strait Crisis? The Third didn't do too much but lead to the court marshal and executions of some high-ranking Chinese logistic officers.