AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 2 13.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 6.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-30, 21:29   Link #41
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Yoshiko is really a lot of fun but I like Hanamaru when she talking about the internet but at less she push the shiny button
Old 2016-07-30, 21:58   Link #42
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This was my favorite episode of Sunshine so far. It was funny, cute and charming and introduced Yoshiko in an interesting way. And thankfully, it had none of those stupid explicit character references that plagued episode 4.

I totally didn't expect for them to take the direction they did with Yoshiko in this episode. While frankly I wish I could have seen more of her theatrical wackiness (akin to her hilarious behavior in the audio dramas) in this episode, the resolution at the end of the episode assured me that she's almost definitely going to deliver on that in later episodes. Her little dramatic character arc wasn't super moving or anything, but the important aspect is that it was handled tastefully; it kept Yoshiko as a likeable character, it didn't go over the top in heaviness and it had plenty of great humor to balance it out.

The biggest pleasant surprise of this episode? Hanamaru, she was awesome this episode. After episode 4 I was afraid that they'd try to turn her into Rin v2 but thankfully this episode brought back my faith in her. I loved how out of touch she was with technology, her amazement and wonder was super moe. And her chemistry with Yoshiko was awesome. I'm convinced that the decision to make Hanamaru and Yoshiko childhood friends was one of the best story-related decisions made in Sunshine, it's really helping to make her stand out and be much more of a likeable character rather than simply being Ruby's support pillar.

Another note to add to this current discussion: I LOVE the silly and playful side of Aqours. It was one of the things that made this episode (and episode 1) shine. Some people have an issue with it, but frankly I'd say that it's underrepresented in the TV anime compared to the audio dramas. Yoshiko's chuunibyou antics, Mari's hilarious insanity and teasing (we need more of this), Riko being the butt of embarrassing jokes, Hanamaru being oblivious to technology, Chika baiting Ruby with candy like a puppy, Dia being a super stuck-up and prissy ojou, the silliness is part of Aqours's charm and very importantly, it helps to distinguish them from µ's. So far for me, the lighter Sunshine is and the more it tries to set itself apart from its predecessor, the better it gets and I really hope we can get more fun stuff like this episode in the future.

Other highlights: Riko being chased by the dog was hilarious, especially the punchline where she jumped to her balcony and her mother awkwardly welcomed her home. And Aqours looked great in gothic lolita outfits, too bad Mari wasn't there to wear them.

Last edited by Tempester; 2016-07-30 at 22:11.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 02:44   Link #43
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

i still think Yoshiko needs to form a support group with Shinka Nibutani, please seek help.......
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 03:45   Link #44
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I had been eagerly anticipating this episode, and it didn't disappoint one bit. Best episode of Sunshine so far.

Yohane is incredibly entertaining. I expected her to be full chuuni, but it turns out she is very well aware of her quirk and even tries to fight it, resulting in some very funny moments in this episode. In the end, she was accepted as she was by the rest of the group, which is how it should be. Yohane is an integral part of Yoshiko by now.

Hanamaru also won a lot of points in this episode. I'd say she's my second favorite girl now. I just have one problem: every time she says "Zura", I keep thinking "Zura janai, Katsura da!"
Old 2016-07-31, 03:58   Link #45
Nork22

Many laughs were had when I watched this episode. Yoshikohane trying to be "normal" despite the fact she is aware of her chuuni side was a nice surprise from what the pre-air materials offered us, and it adds a nice layer to her personality. I guess she's that comfortable going into chuuni mode with the members of Aqours, but not out in public.

Can we also compliment Zuramaru as well? God she was adorable when she got introduced to the laptop, and other things from the future! And it's good to see to that she's essentially the glue that holds the 1st years together.

Other things as well:

I've seen this pose somewhere before... oh yes! One of Aqours' live stream.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

In fact the girls are rocking it in the goth-loli dress. Damn you Sunrise. Maids and Goth-Lolis are my weakness! How dare you put best girl You in such lovely outfit. HNNNGGG!!

And once again Riko's antics with Shiitake has turn into a meme making machine.

In regards to the ED song, this time it's sung solo by Aikyan. My god she's good.

Lastly, the end with Dia freaking out over an email with Mari, sorry Sunrise, you're not going to fool me. I knew that "cliffhanger" you pull in S2 ep. 6 was a red herring, and this one smells fishy as well.
Old 2016-07-31, 07:47   Link #46
Kakurin
大佐

For a supposed Yohane-episode this turned more into the Hanamaru show. Don't consider the episode as good or even perfect as others here, probably because I generally am not particularly fond of exaggerated chūnis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
I know, but Pen, I think that's you're problem. You're coming into this like an inspector ready to judge and compare the new to the old. That makes it impossible for you to enjoy the show and let the characters grow on you. I can name countless cringe worthy & overacting moments in the original, but I'm not going to do that here. I'm letting these new characters grow and see what they do next.
I don't think it's doing any good if you try to deflect any criticism of Sunshine by slapping the "you only criticise it because you are comparing it to Muse" tag. Sunrise with Sunshine is walking the fine line between fun/comedy and distinct characters and outright silliness. You can't blame people if they think the anime's crossing this line sometimes.
Old 2016-07-31, 09:07   Link #47
AntonKutovoi

Whoa. Riko's mother is voiced by Nana Mizuki The trend of geting famous seiyuus/singers for supporting roles continues.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 09:12   Link #48
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

I am actually kind of disappointed they went with the usual "chuunibyou wants to have a normal highschool life" plot, but Yoshiko will hopefully embrace her true chuuni self.
Old 2016-07-31, 10:43   Link #49
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Whoa. Riko's mother is voiced by Nana Mizuki The trend of geting famous seiyuus/singers for supporting roles continues.
I'll be surprised if Megumi Hayashibara is in...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 10:46   Link #50
novalysis

I think for Yohane, Aqours represents a safe-space where she can indulge in her Chuuni impulses without fear of judgement and acceptance by her peers. But outside that circle, she'd adopt the formal "Riajuu" performance of "Yoshiko" that she will put up to "outsiders." In-fact, I won't be surprised if most of her pre-existing fanbase assumes her videos are just an online "youtube" persona act that she performs, and not how she actually behaves outside.

Here's a speculation: it's Mari's ability to shift between different personalities and modes that will inspire Yoshiko and Yohane to integrate one another and reconcile themselves with each other.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 10:47   Link #51
grecefar

well this was the most funny chapter yet. lol

btw for some reason I love ruby-chan voice.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 11:56   Link #52
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I'm not the biggest fan of chuuni characters out there, but I think Yoshik- I mean Yohane kind of hits the sweet spot in terms of going all-in and attempting to break out of it. Even though it seems like the school idol group might be a safe haven for her to act like that, I hope it isn't TOO overbearing from here on out.

With that being said, I loved this episode. Yohane's a very cute and endearing character. This episode explains why she didn't come to school after her introduction: it was less delinquency and more embarrassment and shame lol. With her being checked on by Zuramaru, it should make for some good character interactions in the future. Speaking of Hanamaru, it was so much fun seeing her interact with the computer and all the different technological advances she hasn't seen or experienced in the wild. It's hilarious how the first thing she does with the laptop is turn it off.

Riko's leap of faith is also definitely something to respect. Loving how it's turned into a huge meme like someone mentioned above.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHIKA! Already trending at 125K tweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nork22 View Post

I've seen this pose somewhere before... oh yes! One of Aqours' live stream.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Is this the new dab?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 12:59   Link #53
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
I'll be surprised if Megumi Hayashibara is in...
Or even Erino Hazuki (Akari)..

Damn, they're so adorable with gothic lolita outfit.. And 10 for the jump..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-31, 15:32   Link #54
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan View Post
Or even Erino Hazuki (Akari)..

Damn, they're so adorable with gothic lolita outfit.. And 10 for the jump..
This reminds me... Chika said there are no fallen angel idols, but... how is that possible? Was her research two minutes of google and three hours of the best of Muse in a loop?

Anyway, happy birthday to the new leader Who is, honestly, doing much better than expected. Keep going, Chika, and never stop being so suave with the ladies.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 13:47   Link #55
kitten320

I had an impression that Yohane was actually cool with her second side but did realize that people might not like it. But looks like she did have issues with it herself.

It was a nice episode but personally I'm more intrigued by the ending with Dia and Mari. I just want a 3rd year centred episode.
Old 2016-08-01, 14:13   Link #56
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
riko's mom is a better singer than all muse+aquors combined rofl
Old 2016-08-01, 14:34   Link #57
Ulin

Ok, so probably for me this has been the best episode so far, even with the lack of You

I really like that Yoshiko knows perfectly she's a chunni. Her reactions did the episode for me. And great job from the VA, the different voices she does in the episode were very good for a begginer.

And in the best girl run, I'm really glad that my favourites so far are not the similar ones from the original, since I really like Zuramaru (nicknamed instantly accepted) and You, even though in the first two episodes she didn't appeal to me, now she's one of my favourites

And it's me, or the feeling I get from them is that they are in general more... you know... "rounded" Not Nozomi's or Eli's level but...
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 16:07   Link #58
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjastarforcex View Post
riko's mom is a better singer than all muse+aquors combined rofl
I haven't watched the first series, but I know that it had Noriko Hidaka and Kikuko Inoue in it, so I guess it's nothing new
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 16:25   Link #59
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched this episode yesterday, and it's rather good. I like the part where Yoshiko tried to do fortune telling in the classroom, and Hanamaru blew out her candle.

Hmm, I wonder why Hanamaru often ends sentences with "zura"? She reminded me of precure mascots that end their sentences with something.

And lastly, Riko being chased by pet dog is sort of becoming a running gag in this anime. Chika even makes joke about the dog being there (when it's not really there) now.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-01, 16:56   Link #60
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
And in the best girl run, I'm really glad that my favourites so far are not the similar ones from the original, since I really like Zuramaru (nicknamed instantly accepted) and You, even though in the first two episodes she didn't appeal to me, now she's one of my favourites
It's amazing how great Maru turned out to be, huh? Not that Rin wasn't nice too, but her successor is stealing the show so hard. That said, I'm kinda iffy on You: she's great, but I feel she's a missing one of those moments that just make you fall in love with her. She's very close by being such a good friend and so damn pretty, but I feel something's still missing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
And it's me, or the feeling I get from them is that they are in general more... you know... "rounded" Not Nozomi's or Eli's level but...
Yup, not even Ruby is at the same level as Nico (I think) On that note, no one is as big as Nozomi either, though that one is way more obvious. I think Mari might be at Eri's level...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Hmm, I wonder why Hanamaru often ends sentences with "zura"? She reminded me of precure mascots that end their sentences with something.
It's just a cute tic, don't think too much about it.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote