3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-26, 20:05   Link #141
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The problem is that he isn't asked to stab puppies as their blood spatters his face and their death cries fall on his ears. He's asked to sing to a space karaoke machine. It's harder for his empathy mechanisms to be triggered. He hasn't visited conquered planets. He hasn't even seen them as we have. He's just been told he's doing a great job for whatever noble cause they're claiming to serve.

As tragic as the losses were, they were ultimately able to step back from a war of annihilation against some thinking alien race and/or to stop whatever Grace planned, so I'm going to count it as a win.

All those discussions remind me of the Sherlock special. When Mycroft talked about the enemy "They are right and we are wrong."

What do you do when you realize you are on the wrong side of a war? Or might be? Of course, in Frontier, it wasn't that black and white. Which just makes it harder to answer.

I brought it up? Are you seriously trying to deny the axe you've got to grind with her? I don't know if you're the one brought her into this thread, but you've certainly named her before I did.
I'm going to drop this particular discussion, as requested by others.
Old 2016-08-26, 20:14   Link #142
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
All this talk about Heinz and punishment reminds me, what ever happened in regards to Hayate's dad dropping that giant bomb on their home planet?
Forgive me if I somehow dazed out during an episode and missed an explanation, but I don't recall it ever being resolved.
Not saying that they're justified in hurting innocent civilians. But ignoring why they're doing this in the first place is exactly what lead to the situation. Revenge and punishment being passed off as justice only leads to more misery and more wars.
I wouldn't say it's right to let them off the hook. By moral logic, people who do bad things should have bad things be done them. But you have to think based on what is best and not what is right, because nothing is right about war.
My perspective on this is highly influenced by Doctor Who, although I do love Sherlock as well
I mean, let's say you do end up punishing Heinz and the squad with, hmm, death sentence. The Windermeres, now with no leader, no army, are now defenseless, and let's say the UN equivalent steps in and puts all of Windermere under martial law (forgive my lack of knowledge in this area..). Where are you then; the deceased Windermeres are saints and it's now it's back to us versus them. You are basically exactly where you left off, except you don't have the means to fight. Good for everyone else, of course, but really, these Windermeres are also innocent civilians. One of my favorite sayings is "Your freedom ends where another begins," and I think it fits pretty well here. You can argue that they deserve it, that they had it coming, that the universe is better off without them anyway. But don't pretend that you are any better than them. Because that's just hypocritical.
(sorry for the switching between first and second person)
On Wright Immelman the majority of Windermere doesn't know it was him, except maybe guys like Cassim. From NUNS perspective he defected to Windermere's side. Him going Var thanks to Exdel apples, ruin water and hostile telepathic Fold Waves from Aerial Knights who had no clue is likely.

On Windermere what likely would happen is like with Germany and Japan where the younger generation would backlash on what the older generation did. History would be written that Gramia and Roid are assholes and Heinz is a hapless idiot that victimized billions. With Keith not having kids and probably made to answer for war crimes and Heinz ending up dead it is the end of the Windermerean royalty. As what happened with World War 1 the effects of this war would be devastating to the nobility as they would lose their status.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 01:21   Link #143
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
On Windermere what likely would happen is like with Germany and Japan where the younger generation would backlash on what the older generation did. History would be written that Gramia and Roid are assholes and Heinz is a hapless idiot that victimized billions. With Keith not having kids and probably made to answer for war crimes and Heinz ending up dead it is the end of the Windermerean royalty. As what happened with World War 1 the effects of this war would be devastating to the nobility as they would lose their status.
I don't know, the younger generation would include Freyja, no? And Freyja lost her parents due the actions of a foreign power. I highly doubt the younger generation would backlash on the older when both generations lost family.
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Japan didn't lose their nobility until the end of WWII. WWII was basically a result of all of Germany, not just the older generation, being bitter over WWI. (if you meant WWII, well, refer to my first few sentences)
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 04:25   Link #144
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
I don't know, the younger generation would include Freyja, no? And Freyja lost her parents due the actions of a foreign power. I highly doubt the younger generation would backlash on the older when both generations lost family.
No Freya is of the current generation. Remember their short lifespans. Germany and Japan really went pacifist post WW2 as a backlash to what the older generation did that devastated their countries.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Japan didn't lose their nobility until the end of WWII. WWII was basically a result of all of Germany, not just the older generation, being bitter over WWI. (if you meant WWII, well, refer to my first few sentences)

I'm talking about the European nobility. They pretty much lost power and status due to the clusterfrak that is the Great War aka WWI.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 09:00   Link #145
Father Hentai

Quote:
No Freya is of the current generation. Remember their short lifespans. Germany and Japan really went pacifist post WW2 as a backlash to what the older generation did that devastated their countries.
Sorry, we Germans didn't went pacifist. It's just that all missions must be approved by the parliament and only in ultima ratio situations the power over the Bundeswehr is taken by the chancellor. Also the soldiers oath is not any longer to one person.
Old 2016-08-27, 10:08   Link #146
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
No Freya is of the current generation. Remember their short lifespans.
Hmm, yeah you're right. I guess even anime can't escape 'rewritten' history. I also guess what this means is Freyja's kids ;D
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 10:29   Link #147
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Sorry, we Germans didn't went pacifist. It's just that all missions must be approved by the parliament and only in ultima ratio situations the power over the Bundeswehr is taken by the chancellor. Also the soldiers oath is not any longer to one person.
I'd dispute that statement. Maybe some part of the German population is not pacifist, but a lot don't want German involvement in foreign wars.

Also, you're Bavarian and so barely count as a German.
Old 2016-08-27, 13:50   Link #148
HirouKeimou

On a topic of next episode: Unless the official website uploads it by tonight, we'll receive no preview of the next episode until it airs, apparently. (Because it's late, usually up by Saturday morning here in the US time zone EST.)

Last edited by HirouKeimou; 2016-08-27 at 14:15. Reason: re-worded for clarity
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 20:18   Link #149
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
All I'd like to say at this point in this argument is that in real life, a child (regardless of age) rarely comprehends right or wrong without learning first-hand through experience. Right now, Heinz more than likely believes he is doing right because others say so; later on, Heinz will likely learn or discover his actions are not justice for his people. It's not fully a question of his age or mentality, it's about him learning the difference between right or wrong, and I could argue this is a big thing in real-life wars...
Yes, exactly. His adults in charge told him it's right, so he believes is right. It's simple because children only start develop their own morals after they are 12 years old, when, you know abstract thinking develops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
But Heinz is not a child, according to Wind logic at least. I mean Freyja was supposed to marry years ago? There's a lot about Wind society not explored. No, I don't care about the manga.
No? He's very much a child. The magazine which had Kawamori and staff talking about the Windermerians stated that they age as humans until their late 20s. His brain and neurological functions is of a child. He could be more 'mature', but that's his personality not his neurological capacity which is tied to his biological development. A teenager is capable to conceive and sire children, so biologically Freyja is ready to be a mother. Do not confuse one thing with the other. We're not addressing maturity or something like that, but a biological fact that the brain of a nine/ten years old is incapable to make abstract thinking and his empathy relies mostly on the immediately environment and group they belong. This is why child soldiers are picked to be indoctrinated in this age group. It's not like Heinz has any contact with anything except his family and Roid. His socialization process is narrowed to his circle.

Heinz is addressed as a child by Mikumo and the others too.

Also Keith shot down people when he was 12 years old (near puberty) and Herman treated it as a tragedy because he was too young for that (but it was a desperate situation). While two years in adults make little difference, it does make difference in the development stages of neurological functions in children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
No, I'm arguing that the consequences of his actions are too abstract for him to understand. He hasn't seen any of the victims. He may know there's suffering involved, but balancing that against the supposed necessities of Wind's actions, against the supposedly horrible consequences of inaction... I don't have a problem seeing it as beyond him.
This is exactly what I've been trying to say. Thinking about lofty aspects are tied with a function of the brain that develops roughly with puberty. Without direct contact, without direct examples telling him otherwise, Heinz has absolutely no clue about any moral consequences. Keith gave him a concrete consequence if he fails: that hole in their planet. That's what he grasps. That's what he sees when he vacillates. Because children of Heinz age need a proof solid in front of them to grasp the circumstances.

This isn't sociopathy or none of that rubbish, but uh how the brain develops in children.
They don't grasp it because they are incapable yet. He does care because he empathizes when he is indeed show suffering (Freyja's memories, he mused about them). But he needs to be showed this. He's being kept as a bird in a cage so far.

That's why Freyja wants to reach out for him as was established before we were consumed by conspiracies and bad writing. Because Macross is a show about listening and if she (and Mikumo) is able to make him listen to them and see what happens. Make him understand there is another way, IMO.

Well before all these conspiracies which derailed everything IMO, now Roid is kind of connected to the ruins?? It's just a mess.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-08-27 at 20:33.
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 21:32   Link #150
HirouKeimou

Spending half a day for registering on Tenso and Toranoana for doujins is painful... and a good breather from Delta besides ordering doujins from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Yes, exactly. His adults in charge told him it's right, so he believes is right. It's simple because children only start develop their own morals after they are 12 years old, when, you know abstract thinking develops.
I agree on this.

I mean, if we're going to question who is right or wrong, an adult is more accountable than a child who literally doesn't know the difference. In other words, Roid and Keith are responsible for anything Heinz does. He knows no better and will learn because of this experience more than likely. In fact, I genuinely feel for the kid in the sense of I really don't wish for him to die from this because he didn't realize all of his singing has actually been doing harm to others in the name of Windermere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Well before all these conspiracies which derailed everything IMO, now Roid is kind of connected to the ruins?? It's just a mess.
I did a jaw drop during this scene.
Delta has so many questions and conspiracies and issues to resolve in 5 episodes and Roid connecting to the ruins adds another damn question. This... is beyond ridiculous. I'm supposed to believe Roid can do what Mikumo did in episode 18? I'm close to signing off on the plot and simply watching for the love triangle/fan service. Because right now, too much is unanswered...

If I had to recommend Delta to others, I'd suggest turning off their brain and all understanding of human logic and simply enjoying its music and fan service (specifically Makina's boobs).
Old 2016-08-27, 23:16   Link #151
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I'm supposed to believe Roid can do what Mikumo did in episode 18?
I doubt he can't even sing, let alone control the ruins.
Old 2016-08-27, 23:22   Link #152
HirouKeimou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I doubt he can't even sing, let alone control the ruins.
Talking about his "connection" to the ruins being like her, not her singing.
Old 2016-08-27, 23:39   Link #153
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Talking about his "connection" to the ruins being like her, not her singing.
I think the ruins just gave answer to the question that was in his mind. He was wondering who the hell is Mikumo and how she can do what she does. The ruins probably responded to those thoughts, showing him the answer.
Old 2016-08-27, 23:50   Link #154
HirouKeimou

Quote:
I think the ruins just gave answer to the question that was in his mind. He was wondering who the hell is Mikumo and how she can do what she does. The ruins probably responded to those thoughts, showing him the answer.
Again, why did the ruins respond to him? After all, Heinz is the one singing to them every single damn time (and connected to Mikumo directly twice). If all anyone who approached the ruins had to do is ask for a response (like you believe he does), then Heinz, Keith, and especially Gramia and Berger (who inspected those ruins daily themselves) would have gained their knowledge of the ruins by even episode 10 (to give a little build up). This one scene of Roid discovering this "answer" is a little too contrived for me to believe it's logical. If Heinz nor Gramia (who are royalty, mind you; and Heinz is considered the Wind Singer by his people) could not activate this special area, what qualifies Roid?
Old 2016-08-27, 23:58   Link #155
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Again, why did the ruins respond to him? After all, Heinz is the one singing to them every single damn time (and connected to Mikumo directly twice). If all anyone who approached the ruins had to do is ask for a response (like you believe he does), then Heinz, Keith, and especially Gramia and Berger (who inspected those ruins daily themselves) would have gained their knowledge of the ruins by even episode 10 (to give a little build up). This one scene of Roid discovering this "answer" is a little too contrived for me to believe it's logical. If Heinz nor Gramia (who are royalty, mind you; and Heinz is considered the Wind Singer by his people) could not activate this special area, what qualifies Roid?
I think the ruins responded because Roid was thinking about Mikumo. If he was thinking about something else, the ruins probably wouldn't have reacted at all, but since it was Mikumo, the ruins responded.
Old 2016-08-28, 00:16   Link #156
HirouKeimou

Quote:
I think the ruins responded because Roid was thinking about Mikumo. If he was thinking about something else, the ruins probably wouldn't have reacted at all, but since it was Mikumo, the ruins responded.
If he had done so in episode 19 or 20, I'd buy it because of episode 18 building it up; however, episode 19 is his monologue/do nothing at all episode, and in 20 he is basically seeing to Heinz's health (even if he seemingly does not care), and now, after his fascination with Mikumo for about 5 episodes and all of his time in said room, he decides now to enter this room and it so happens to be the exact time the ruins will respond to him?

I don't buy it.

Again, if there had been foreshadowing of this in prior episodes, it would not come off so bad as complete bullshit. It's too big a plot device and after all this series' prior plot devices, I believe it's adding up to one hell of a pitiful end.
Old 2016-08-28, 00:43   Link #157
Thess

It just seems random that the ruins that Mikumo took forever to get any response from randomly shone and went sparkly because Roid was angstying. Sure his family is some kind of special bloodline who looks after the protoculture ruins but it was a little hard to buy when it's the first time in the show it has this kind of reaction.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-28, 01:40   Link #158
Beqa

Ok, first, I will not justify Macross Delta, not when this series has more black holes that our galaxy but about the ruins reacted out of nowhere:

1-Roid almost count them for us. The necessary conditions: the sector, singer, ruins, what is missing is obviously the star of the show. No wonder that now the temple will respond to Sage of the Wind.
2-Intelligence Articificial, in case you have forgotten the Proroculture leaves a messenger in all and for all. The scene is horribly familiar with DYRL when Misa and Hikaru found the origin of the ruins & Macross 7 when we disclose the history of Protodeviln.

What I find most troubling is that the AI ​​decides operated now! when Mikumo says: I just here to sing.

Everything points to Mikumo is or has part of the Singer of the Stars. Her last dialogue in fact left me wondering if we have here the final big boss to take possession of Mikumo or maybe alredy in possession of her.

PS: Sorry if my English is bad ^^ u
Beqa is offline   Reply With Quote