Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-09-23, 10:10   Link #121
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
She became a eurofag \o/
Our continent have a reputation for being a little more liberal than the rest of the world after all.
That and/or Japan was too stuffy for her in the first place

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 15:05   Link #122
DarkJak2050

Okay, is there a "reputation" that Studio Deen has or something?
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 15:16   Link #123
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
Sudio DEEN is known for often making very, very bad visual novel adaptions. Most notable ones are Fate/stay night (2006) and Umineko no naku koro ni.

But if their involvment is reduced to just doing the animation itself (which is the case for Log Horizon S2 from what I read in this thread), then that is the only thing they can fail at, at worst, and since Log Horizon never had the reputation for great animation anyway, it is not too great of a risk.

Before I read that their involvment is merely for the animation, I was really afraid of Log Horizon S2 becoming a total flop title.
Old 2014-09-23, 18:50   Link #124
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
People always want to mention Fate/Stay Night as a bad adaption from Studio DEEN, and yet when it came out it was financially successful in Japan.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 18:53   Link #125
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
People always want to mention Fate/Stay Night as a bad adaption from Studio DEEN, and yet when it came out it was financially successful in Japan.
The UBW movie is still a crime DEEN has yet to atone for.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 19:12   Link #126
ramlaen

Quote:
Basically DEEN made a bad adaption of something from Typemoon a long time ago and as a result the dozens of good shows they have made since then do not exist. JC Staff gets the same treatment.

Its funny when you ask complainers to actually name recent DEEN shows (without looking it up) and they struggle to come up with 5.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-23, 19:24   Link #127
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The UBW movie is still a crime DEEN has yet to atone for.
And even that sold well enough, not the best selling anime movie in 2010, but definitely not the worse either. If I did an actually average it would probably fall somewhere in the middle if not higher. I'm certainly not trying to imply that people can't think it was a bad adaption from their perspective, but if we're talking about things that Studio DEEN supposedly got wrong, based on buying figures, Japan at least didn't agree. But this wouldn't be the first time that what the "west" thinks is good or bad and what Japan thinks is good (or at least acceptable enough to buy) or bad differed.
Old 2014-09-23, 21:36   Link #128
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Well they did the Fruits Basket anime and the director and the manga-ka had a, well, argument is an understatement. Honestly I think that a lot of their shows just look bland, the first season of LH wasn't a visual cornucopia but it should say something that I was completely thrown that they were the ones who made Hakkenden last year since that actually had thought out visual direction (although again, that might be more because of the director than the studio itself, you get my point though and all those screenshots of the trailer floating around are not helping them).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 05:36   Link #129
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Hmm...I'm wondering if we're also goin to get part of West Wind Brigade manga in there.

Would be nice.

Though I was hoping unnecessary fanservice would also be minimal in this adaptation but Kanami... xP

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 05:42   Link #130
tsunade666

^ But west wind brigade manga happens before season 1 or during the beginning of season.
Old 2014-09-24, 14:32   Link #131
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
And even that sold well enough, not the best selling anime movie in 2010, but definitely not the worse either. If I did an actually average it would probably fall somewhere in the middle if not higher. I'm certainly not trying to imply that people can't think it was a bad adaption from their perspective, but if we're talking about things that Studio DEEN supposedly got wrong, based on buying figures, Japan at least didn't agree. But this wouldn't be the first time that what the "west" thinks is good or bad and what Japan thinks is good (or at least acceptable enough to buy) or bad differed.
FSN has been a hugely successful franchise. Probably one of the most successful ever. If Deen had anything to do with the sales figure of the anime been good. There would have been no reason for the KnK movies, Fate/Zero and the 2 new FSN tv and movie to be animated by Ufotable. The fact that Type-Moon switch studio tells me that FSN tv and UWB sold in spite of Deen not because of Deen.
Old 2014-09-24, 14:42   Link #132
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well ... Deen has done some good things in the past few years too ... the Sankarea adaptation comes to mind (at least for me it was quite good).

Let's see what is produced first ... perhaps we will be blown away!

Umm ... in the good sense, I mean.
Old 2014-09-24, 14:46   Link #133
The Green One

Yes, let's confirm that DEEN ruins it first by actually WATCHING the whole second season before calling the angry mob.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 15:26   Link #134
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
FSN has been a hugely successful franchise. Probably one of the most successful ever. If Deen had anything to do with the sales figure of the anime been good. There would have been no reason for the KnK movies, Fate/Zero and the 2 new FSN tv and movie to be animated by Ufotable. The fact that Type-Moon switch studio tells me that FSN tv and UWB sold in spite of Deen not because of Deen.

That's not necessarily true, they could have switched studios for any number of reasons, like the studio being booked with other projects for one. They also could have been going for a different look or tone, which they felt another studio was more suited for. We all know certain studios cater to certain types of looks and works. You know a PAW show when you see it, or a KyoAni show, for one. Changing studios does not mean you think the first one did a horrible job, they just may not be suited for what you want to do next. The fact of the matter is tastes are subjective, sales figures are not. I'm hard pressed to believe that Japanese watchers would have bought it up if they seriously thought it was crap.
Old 2014-09-24, 15:42   Link #135
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

meh Deen hatred mainly from whiny VN fan. let be honest animating VN is really hard. only Stein;Gate is consider to be good VN adaption for last....20-30 years? (Key-Kyoani stuff is bit mixbag now that I think about it now). Ufotable maybe will do better work. but whether that will make whiny fans quite is other story. I mean they already complaining that is not Fate route.

anyway we have thread for Studio discussion. so just continue there if you want to

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 16:13   Link #136
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

As long as this won't be another franchise CRUSHER like it was with the absolute failure of the Umineko no naku koro ni adaption... what they did with F/sn could, if seen relatively, be considered a masterpiece in comparison.

It's a really good thing their involvment is reduced to purely animation. DEEN got a talent for contradicting the lore of the series they adapt after all, but if they don't touch the script they could at worst merely do very bad animation, which would not damage Log Horizon that much, as animation never was known as the strong forte of this LN adaption.

If they manage to get the same animation quality as they had for Higurashi it would probably suffice.
Old 2014-09-24, 23:20   Link #137
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Sudio DEEN is known for often making very, very bad visual novel adaptions. Most notable ones are Fate/stay night (2006) and Umineko no naku koro ni.

But if their involvment is reduced to just doing the animation itself (which is the case for Log Horizon S2 from what I read in this thread)
That's tough to qualify since it's true for almost every show that Studio Deen produces. Freelance writers provide the scripts; the studio produces the animation.

The argument here is that because the same director and writers from Season 1 are involved, chances are that they'll create something similar no matter which studio is producing the animation (and likewise, the line of thinking is that if the same Umineko staff had created their show at a different studio, it wouldn't have turned out much better)
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 00:41   Link #138
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^ But west wind brigade manga happens before season 1 or during the beginning of season.
Flashback. Also Kanami!Go East is in parallel with first season IIRC.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 03:24   Link #139
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Flashback. Also Kanami!Go East is in parallel with first season IIRC.
The difference is that Dragon Roar Mountains is dealing with a different group in a different place experiencing different events that have not been covered so far, while WWB is just re-telling the events in S1 from a different angle. Maybe bits from WWB to flesh out Souji's character and relationship with the rest of his guild and
Spoiler for Not sure if this is a spoiler, but just in case it is:

If WWB and any of the other LH manga are to get animated as well, it would be better if they are presented as OVAs complementing the main series.

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2014-09-25 at 03:50.
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 15:47   Link #140
DQueenie13

Some previews for the S2 preview airing this Saturday were published on the NHK blog: http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime-blog/0120/198162.html