AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-09-03, 07:13   Link #41
Shadow Kira01

Wow! That's quick..

The beta had only been out for less than a week. There is now a final version.

I guess I will wait 2-3 weeks to see how Opera 10 is doing before upgrading to it.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-03, 10:03   Link #42
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Wow! That's quick..

The beta had only been out for less than a week. There is now a final version.

I guess I will wait 2-3 weeks to see how Opera 10 is doing before upgrading to it.
Umm...actually the first Beta (Build 1551 IIRC) was released in early June and since then we've had updates every three-five days or so (I believe the Alpha stage took longer)... It's the Release Candidate that was made public last week.

I'll be doing the same with v10, too - not going to upgrade that soon. I'll see how it goes on W7 RTM since I plan to install and test it one of these days on my own PC (after I get to burn the XP partition image on a separate HD, though).
Old 2009-09-03, 15:56   Link #43
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Had an issue where one particular email message crashes Opera when I attempt to view it. Submitted a bug report and all that...
Old 2009-09-04, 13:42   Link #44
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, it seems the Opera team isn't resting on its own laurels and is still rounding up the remaining bugs: they've just made Opera v10.10 Build 1767 Beta available. Haven't come across the changelog yet.

...I think they should've waited a couple weeks more before declaring Build 1750 as the final version.
Old 2009-09-04, 23:59   Link #45
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Well, it seems the Opera team isn't resting on its own laurels and is still rounding up the remaining bugs: they've just made Opera v10.10 Build 1767 Beta available. Haven't come across the changelog yet.

...I think they should've waited a couple weeks more before declaring Build 1750 as the final version.
I agree, they should've waited a bit longer.

If anyone wants the changelog: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...-10-with-unite
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-05, 01:36   Link #46
Xion Valkyrie

For some reason my Avira keeps on saying there's trojans in the temp files with Opera. Anyone else get this occasionally?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 12:56   Link #47
Shadow Kira01

10 million downloads in a week..

So, how much faster is this new turbo browsing feature?

And any sort of updated versions lately?
Old 2009-09-13, 13:18   Link #48
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
Visit Opera Desktop Team's blog for the latest alpha/beta/RCs: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 13:55   Link #49
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
10 million downloads in a week..

So, how much faster is this new turbo browsing feature?

And any sort of updated versions lately?
Opera Turbo seems to cut the page loading time in half, but the pictures may not look great since it's compressed.

How the test is conducted: I use a Mac mini G4 (Late 2005) 1.33GHz with 512MB of RAM with Mac OS X 10.5.8 with all updates installed. All browsers cache are cleared before the page is loaded. The page that is loaded is my blog which contains a lot of pictures, content and a few stylesheets. Times are timed on a iPod Touch which the time starts when I hit enter at the same time on the address bar.

Yes, Opera 10 does cut the page loading time in half with Turbo, but Firefox 3.5.3 isn't that far behind
Old 2009-09-13, 17:50   Link #50
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

You can right click the picture and reload in full quality for those that matters.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 20:04   Link #51
Shadow Kira01

I have fully fixed my broken laptop and have also installed Opera 10 on it. Looks pretty sweet but the Turbo function is actually pretty bad as that most images are load blurry. Thus, I will probably not upgrade my usual browser as it is unnecessary.
Old 2009-09-13, 20:09   Link #52
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
I have fully fixed my broken laptop and have also installed Opera 10 on it. Looks pretty sweet but the Turbo function is actually pretty bad as that most images are load blurry. Thus, I will probably not upgrade my usual browser as it is unnecessary.
Yes, I noticed that... the image looks "yuck" when you turn on Turbo function which makes web browsing not so great, even if you have to manually reload every pic.

Firefox 3.5.3 can provide almost the same speeds as Opera 10 with Turbo mode on without all those messy pics effected by lossy compression. Honestly, the compression is worse than the regular JPEG compression you use on those files normally. Also, I highly doubt the turbo mode will fix the javascript speeds.
Old 2009-09-15, 02:38   Link #53
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

More stable than the previous version, and better looking. But, firefox still feels more usable. I don't think opera would continue to stay alive and make the computer operational after weeks of continuous use and maybe a hundred tabs open.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 13:52   Link #54
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Also, I highly doubt the turbo mode will fix the javascript speeds.
Javascript is a client-side scripting language so yeah, nothing to see here.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 20:28   Link #55
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I really like what they've done with the new look, and adding HTML into email was huge. I'm still disappointed by their overall compatibility with websites. It feels (subjective terming) that the number of sites that are incompatible with Opera is slowly increasing. I have to pull out Safari more and more often in order to use a site with its full functionality (sometimes even to use it, period). I report every site that has even a small problem... but it took them a long time to make Opera 10, they highly tauted their new Presto engine, and these are the results? It's a bit disheartening. Not enough to make me leave Opera, but I'm really hoping that they focus on core performance now, and do it quickly.
Old 2009-10-01, 21:25   Link #56
Shadow Kira01

How's the compatibility with websites lately? Has there been any recent updates since the version 10.00 Build 1750?

Or more importantly, are there add-ons like Firefox for Opera 9.5 which increases the number of slots for speed dial like the way it appeared in Opera 10? For some odd reasons.. I see tons of add-ons for Firefox 3.5 yet I couldn't find a single for Opera 9.5 as if there is none.
Old 2009-10-01, 22:09   Link #57
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Opera .. Addon?

?.?

Opera never have addon.. the closest would be the javascript extension AFAIK.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 22:16   Link #58
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Opera never had addons or extensions, but I never really use addons in Firefox anyways. The only customization that Opera currently have is theme support.

Some browsers like Seamonkey (based on the same technology as Firefox), IE, Safari, Camino, Chrome and Safari already have ability for addons, but I don't quite understand why Opera doesn't have any and it's already the 10th build.
Old 2009-10-02, 04:55   Link #59
Alchemist007
*Author

hmm just got 10 to try out. There really are no addons? I would have to keep Firefox 2.0.0.20 then, gotta have my noscript, adblock, and flashblock. Though I do like the smooth scrolling effect.

ed: there do seem to be ways of doing this blocking, its just more technical.
Old 2009-10-02, 05:46   Link #60
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Been trying Opera 10 for a few weeks and I've always had good experience with the previous version. The smoothness of scrolling and its improved speed over other browsers has always been a plus, including the light system requirements. However...

Not so now though as it freezes every few minutes, locking the whole application for a few seconds. More annoying than disastrous, but it made me go back to FF. I guess it has something to do with Flash10 (google searching) but the otherwise lacking web compability with the sites I visit is a big minus and always has been. They might work but usually bugs.

Although, from recent experience, it might also be my machine that doesn't like it for various reasons. Fresh installs might help but one gets tired of it after a 3rd try.

As for add-ons, not a big loss for me at least. Most things I need are in-built in Opera anyway.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, opera