sleepyhead
*Author

Post Opera 10

Opera 10 alpha is available.

Most noticeable changes include:
  • Spell-checking
  • Auto-update

For developers:
  • New version of the rendering engine (Presto 2.2)
  • Opacity through RGBA and HSLA (Css 3 color model)
  • Web Fonts and SVG fonts (Presto already supports SVG in images in Css)

The final release should have a new redesigned default skin.
Beta release should be with us early 2009.
Old 2008-12-04, 22:38   Link #2
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
I'm running it right now and it's AWESOME.

I notice the speed increase from 9.62.
Even though it's an Alpha build, I've set it as my default browser

The skin I'm using is: http://my.opera.com/community/custom.../info/?id=2528
Generic Asian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-05, 02:12   Link #3
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Multiple Joygasm !!!

Not only does it browse fast it checks my typos too . What more could you want . Alpha build is pretty stable using it for a hour now . Thanks for heads up Cats : D

EDIT : Yahoo doesn't recognize this version .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2008-12-05 at 09:53.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-05, 21:23   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Interestingly, they've finally broken with their philosophy that email should be plain text only, and now you will be able to use formattings (colors, italics, etc.) They're also adding in a feature where emails can auto-delete after a set period of time, which might be nice for those of us who tend to have big pile-ups in their inboxes, only to clear it out a few months later and realize that the first 50 or so messages were well expired.
Old 2008-12-10, 02:14   Link #5
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Interestingly, they've finally broken with their philosophy that email should be plain text only, and now you will be able to use formattings (colors, italics, etc.) They're also adding in a feature where emails can auto-delete after a set period of time, which might be nice for those of us who tend to have big pile-ups in their inboxes, only to clear it out a few months later and realize that the first 50 or so messages were well expired.
I really wasn't expecting that. The default is still plain text, but it allows you to opt-in to html formating either by default, or in an individual post. I guess they finally got tired of people dissing them and so they surrendered their philosophical opposition to it.

So far Opera 10's new features are of two types. Either they are "finally" features copying functionality that people simply expect since Firefox has them, or else they're "pie in the sky" features to support web functionality that honestly does not exist at all.

auto update, html mail and spell-checking are "finally" features. Of course there has been a user javascript for spell-checking that works perfectly well, but people hate having to download features for Opera even if they are quite happy to download features for Firefox. Go figure. Opera has added these features simply because people won't take them seriously as long as they stubbornly refuse to have such basics.

On the other end of the spectrum, Web fonts are awesome! I'm sure many web designers are eager to use any font of their choice without worrying about it being on the users computer. Take a look at this example. The rest of their new features are similarly impressive, but there is one little caveat: nobody uses them. Nobody will use these features on a webpage unless they can be supported by IE and Firefox. Tiny little Opera may support them first, but it just can't initiate change.

I'm much more interested to see the next mystery features that are going to appear in the beta version.

I suppose the most impressive thing about this alpha release is that it work. It hasn't crashed on me yet. That's strange for an alpha of Opera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Asian Guy View Post
That is a sweet skin, but the html formatting buttons disappear when I use it, so I switched to its sister skin.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-10, 02:56   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes, they seem to be more careful with recent experimental releases (this translates into fewer in between releases). I remember a time when they released a version that would screw your stock Opera if you were not careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, Web fonts are awesome! I'm sure many web designers are eager to use any font of their choice without worrying about it being on the users computer. Take a look at this example. The rest of their new features are similarly impressive, but there is one little caveat: nobody uses them. Nobody will use these features on a webpage unless they can be supported by IE and Firefox. Tiny little Opera may support them first, but it just can't initiate change.
Well I intend to use all the posible features (svg css background etc) for a certain site, as well any other w3 standard compliant technology (or otherwise of a similarly respected oraganisation) that even opera does not support (yet). I am not going to bow down to the level of the most incomplete browser currently available. As long as a standard can be used while providing backwards compatibility there is not that many reason why not to apply it; and usually these are not webdesign reason but routed in other criteria.

I do not make a difference between Opera, Firefox or any other browser. They all do good and they all screw up badly some times. Truth be told compared to IE (version 8 being a exception) all other browsers appear to have godlike perfection.
Old 2008-12-10, 03:12   Link #7
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Well I intend to use all the posible features (svg css background etc) for a certain site, as well any other w3 standard compliant technology (or otherwise of a similarly respected oraganisation) that even opera does not support (yet). I am not going to bow down to the level of the most incomplete browser currently available. As long as a standard can be used while providing backwards compatibility there is not that many reason why not to apply it; and usually these are not webdesign reason but routed in other criteria.
Banzai! I applaud you. Hopefully you'll tell me where to find this site after it is done so that I can oogle it with the awesomeness of Opera 10 and admire its full capabilities there knowing smugly that 99.9% of your other visitors are only seeing the dumbed-down version. (Boo to them.)

As for the other standards compliant technology that Opera 10 doesn't support yet, I have a strong suspicion that Opera 10 might support a lot of that once it gets to beta. At least I hope they will. They're awfully progressive about that, but maybe not as progressive as you are.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-12-10, 03:52   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
As for the other standards compliant technology that Opera 10 doesn't support yet, I have a strong suspicion that Opera 10 might support a lot of that once it gets to beta. At least I hope they will. They're awfully progressive about that, but maybe not as progressive as you are.
Well, use Opera as a screen reader and you will find not all the available Aural css features are implemented, however the rules not understood are marked as such as opposed to errors. You'll also notice it requires you to select all the text on the page to read it, which is bugged and some times does not work (I can not determine the specifics or I would have sent a report). Still I praise Opera for providing the support it does (Firefox is not even capable of reading aural rules in external Css files), although I suspect its wide support may also act in its disfavor. I wonder how many people are clueless or confused as to the purpose of Tools/Links or View/Small Screen options, as well as others.
Old 2008-12-24, 10:26   Link #9
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

New x-smas alpha build is up.
Old 2008-12-24, 15:15   Link #10
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
You're sluggish. I've been using that since the 19th.

Perhaps you should use Opera's feed reader to stay on top of these things?

Old 2008-12-24, 15:20   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am encountering some problems with mediafire file share on opera 10 . The download option doesn't show , uploading is fine though . The yahoo interface bug has been corrected .

EDIT : An example http://www.mediafire.com/?2zhkx11ghgi it stalls at processing download request
Old 2008-12-24, 16:24   Link #12
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
You're sluggish. I've been using that since the 19th.

Perhaps you should use Opera's feed reader to stay on top of these things?
I have been using it for some time, but I have not been active on the forum lately.
Old 2008-12-25, 01:07   Link #13
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I figured. I was just teasing you. Sorry if I came off as too snippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
I am encountering some problems with mediafire file share on opera 10 . The download option doesn't show , uploading is fine though . The yahoo interface bug has been corrected .

EDIT : An example http://www.mediafire.com/?2zhkx11ghgi it stalls at processing download request
I confirm the bug. Have you reported it yet?

Old 2008-12-25, 04:39   Link #14
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

You can also always use Help > Report Site Problem..., I immediately did that when Geta mentioned it.
Old 2008-12-25, 10:01   Link #15
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
confirm the bug. Have you reported it yet?
Will get to it, first time reporting I feel nervous
Old 2008-12-25, 10:10   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I filed a report when you mentioned it with out a second thought. What is there to be nervous about?
Old 2008-12-25, 10:24   Link #17
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

More like Jitters I get it everytime I register or report stuff . And this is my first with opera : O
Old 2008-12-25, 17:02   Link #18
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Reporting is fairly stress-free. I just hate the absolute lack of any feedback I've ever gotten on anything I've reported. If I just got a "we're aware of that" or "that's the fault of a badly coded website - we'll contact them about it" or even "thanks" it would be much better.

Old 2008-12-26, 08:17   Link #19
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Reporting is fairly stress-free. I just hate the absolute lack of any feedback I've ever gotten on anything I've reported. If I just got a "we're aware of that" or "that's the fault of a badly coded website - we'll contact them about it" or even "thanks" it would be much better.
I have an Opera account but sadly lost the password in PC crash . Initially before you posted the report link , I had assumed Opera Passport was required for reporting bugs .Thanx for the encouragement and clearing stuff up muchos appreciated ^o^
Old 2008-12-26, 13:25   Link #20
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
I wouldn't mind something like that, either. I can remember when CNN had major problems in Opera, and yet there were two or three point versions that went by before it was fixed. For each point update I'd just re-report the issue. There's no way to contact you back over the site feedback and they probably expect to get so much feedback that the system isn't designed to make responses.

On the other hand, I've received feedback through their bug reports webpage. There was a particularly involved back-and-forth to fix a print crash issue on the Mac OS X version of Opera that I was particularly pleased to take part in. Of course, the developers are busy, so I don't expect them to contact back unless they need more information.

Tags
browser, opera