2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.47%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-08-08, 00:15   Link #41
[DOT].L
Delightfully lost...
*Artist

8.5 / 10

A series consisting of appetizing entreé and a fulfilling main course. Too bad there was no dessert to offer a fitting conclusion to this fabulous full course meal.
[DOT].L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 00:26   Link #42
Zwind3

I found better Death Note, like all it depends of taste,, more epic, more memorable, blabla.

And AnimeAniDB and ANN ratings are in disagree with you, Death Note has better rating in the bigest's voting anime pages, I dont think a serie with this rating could be considered overrated, the same with Suzumiya Haruhi.

if you want to be a cg o dn fanboy and start to say overrated to others series that people like, be my guest xD, i don't think that is the best way to show the quality of you option .

Code geass is great but Mao Arc don´t like me, to and too much incomplete yet to gave a overall rating, mmmmmm...

A give them this first season a 8, good good but nothing espectacular

Last edited by Zwind3; 2007-08-08 at 00:40.
Zwind3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 00:51   Link #43
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Geass is pretty good, but conceptually it's just not on DeathNote's level so I'll have to disagree there, but the series was, as a whole, really much better than I ever expected when I started watching it...I guess it was around the ep where Lulu used the Geass on himself to beat that mind-reading guy is where I really began to love this show and I have to admit it really does a good job of incorporating mindless silly fanservice things (like couplings, easy to worship character designs, etc.) and balance that with some very serious and intellectually challenging themes aswell (something the recent Gundam shows wish they knew how to do)...So in that sense it's really unique for Bandai that is...

Another thing I like is that it doesn't whore the mechs...The mechs are discussed and explored but they don't take over the show or the mindset of the characters for the most part...They still are extremely cool, but I love that I can appreciate the mecha with out having specs and upgrades being shoved down my throat constantly in an effort to sell them...

Finally the plot while a bit cliché works because the drama is well placed and you actually care about the plight of many characters (not just the main 3 or 4)...The over the top theatrics that take place on this show work because the context of the show is never strictly serious or strictly pretentious in nature, but a really good blend of both styles...Add the action and this show really knocked me off my feet at times...The only gripe I have is that the show could tend to over-emphasize things about certain characters which they really didn't have to do...Additionally I don't think they always executed perfectly the shows best theme (Friend vs. Friend)...

Now the last 2 eps kinda left me underwhelmed in a way...They were still awesome, but I didn't expect it to end on such a cliché note (I think it could have been executed a bit better to make the next season more to look forward to)...Given the events it seems to me a second season is gonna kinda be reaching for content (Basically the war is over one way or another in the next few minutes, not episodes)...The major reveal with Lulu being zero is shown and bam it's all over (I mean I would have held the reveal to next season if that was gonna be the ending)...Anyways I give the series a very strong 8 outta 10, with the only negatives being what I've discussed(I do admit the hiatus from ep 23's airing made me disconnected from a few things so the execution and decision to do that didn't help the series IMO)...With all that said can't wait to see what direction they go next season...
Old 2007-08-08, 09:35   Link #44
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
A mecha version of Death Note? Please tell me you've watched past episode 1...
Umm, a young boy who get a supreme power that he uses to shape the wold the way he likes it, their version of the perfect wold.
Both can manipulate and kill people whenever they like to (in diffrent ways, but still)
Both hides their their selfs under a code name which get world known that people fear/loves. (one shows them self while the other works in the shadows, but whatever)
Both the finals are identical but with just diffrent peoples.
The only main diffrence in their goal is that one fights an empire the other one fight the crimes.
Spoiler for The endings:

"Death Note is overrated and its not nearly as good as Geass" funny thing you said that guiltygearxt, becuarse I was about to say that CG was a realy overrated anime.

But dont missundertand me, I still like CG, i gave it an 7 after all, its just that I dont think it is as good as many others and does not diserve a 9-10.
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 09:47   Link #45
patnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Gave it an 7 of 10, a good anime but nothing out of the ordinary. And it is just a mecha version of Death note
I agreed with this statement, but I give it an 9 of 10.

Lelouch/Zero use Geass ; Light/Kira use Death Note......
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 10:50   Link #46
Terra

Quote:
Given the events it seems to me a second season is gonna kinda be reaching for content (Basically the war is over one way or another in the next few minutes, not episodes)...The major reveal with Lulu being zero is shown and bam it's all over (I mean I would have held the reveal to next season if that was gonna be the ending)
The war is over in Japan. The war for the world is only just beginning. Plus the major reveal only occured with 2 main characters. Not to the world, which I see as the bigger reveal in terms of impact to what happens. So I still see plenty of content left to explore as there are several more things that have barely been touched on that have a big impact to the story.
Old 2007-08-08, 10:59   Link #47
Stark

I found more accurate say that Lelouch is a version of Light (more human and with Nunally xD).
While you don't compare Suzaku with L xDDDDDD.

In the end,we all now that season 2 has a terrible potential.
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 11:00   Link #48
ElecNinja

Quote:
Umm, a young boy who get a supreme power that he uses to shape the wold the way he likes it, their version of the perfect wold.
Both can manipulate and kill people whenever they like to (in diffrent ways, but still)
Both hides their their selfs under a code name which get world known that people fear/loves. (one shows them self while the other works in the shadows, but whatever)
Both the finals are identical but with just diffrent peoples.
The only main diffrence in their goal is that one fights an empire the other one fight the crimes.
Spoiler for The endings:
Spoiler for Death Note Spoilers; will spoil the ending of Death Note:

6th
Spoiler for The endings:

Spoiler for Counter!:
ElecNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 11:39   Link #49
ghostxlix
Shogun of Shadows

i can see where people would make the Zero/Lelouch=Light/Kira argument. both obtain a special power which they use to change the world, for better or for worst. both use the people around them to get what they want and both have magical sidekicks that have weak spots for a particular food. but even if the characters are similar in that respect, that doesn't make the shows similar.

i enjoyed both DN and CG, but i would have to say that CG is better....like, CG=10, DN=8.5ish. The twists and turns of CG were great. i can't think of any part of DN that compares to the roller coaster that was episodes 22-25 of CG. and i like the characters more in CG. both were edge of your seat thrillers, but the nod goes to CG.
-----------------------------------
but anyway....as i said up there. i give Code Geass a 10. i won't rate the individual pieces, but def def one of the best animes i have ever seen.
ghostxlix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 12:15   Link #50
Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecNinja View Post
Yeah... No.
1st
Light: He wants to be GOD.
Zero: He wants to create a place where Nunnally will be safe. Whether or not he wants to take over the entire world, isn't fully explained

2nd
Light: He can manipulate and kill people whenever he likes to
Zero: He can manipulate OR kill people whenever he likes to. Geass is limited you know.

3rd
Yeah, but there is a fundamental difference between them. Light is becoming a leader while Lulu is a leader. Light really doesn't have his army yet, only fanatics and just a few people that truly follow him. And because he sucks at leadership, they cause his downfall. Lulu is a leader, but since he didn't train anyone else to be a leader, the moment he leaves, most of his followers don't know what to do.

4th
Wrong. They aren't identical. Light dies in the end. But he doesn't see some huge betrayal by a friend. Lulu hasn't died yet, and he's being gunned down by his first friend.

5th
Yes, and that's a huge difference. Crimes = ideal. Empire = physical thing.
Ideal = impossible to destroy. Empire = possible, but hard.

6th
Spoiler for Counter!:
1st,
true that light whant to act as god in his new word but he also says that he wants to make the world to an utopia where there are no crimes,

2nd
IM pretty sure that Lulu could tell someone to do something like "kill that person take his gun and shot you in your head." the ony diffrence in their powers is that lulu need eyecontact and the person deont need to die.

3rd
Oh yea, you are right, Lulu is a normal student that plays chess for others, and he got an army at home whating do do his comman. ehh nope.
in ep1 lulu is a normal student
Spoiler:
who lives a quite normal life, not until later he gathers an army. the only diffrence is what this army is for and when in the anime they get it.

4th
Ok, identical might be wrong, but they're still alike. please dont make me repeat myself at these lines. And if you have proof on that Lulu doent die. please show me them (i dont think he does, but anyway)

5th
crime and empire is a diffrence yes. Both of light and lulu says that they want to make an ideal world, if it is an empire or crimes in the way of makeing that, well that doesnt matter atl all. It is like saying that you havent won a gold medal in 100m becuarse someone else won it in 200m =P

6th
Please, could you read everything ive wrote, I wrote "at first atleast" i know that C.C. helps out more later on, that was why i wrote it.
Spoiler for DeathNote:

And, i am not trying to prove that these are the same anime, I just wanna tell you that tey are very alike, if you accept that than im satisfied
Old 2007-08-08, 12:21   Link #51
Juvyniled

Anyone know what the definition of bias is? ElecNinja is full of it.

Both Light and Lelouch are arrogant and egotistical but Lelouch has some emotion/sensitivity to him whereas Light is a hollow shell. That is the biggest difference anyone can make note of character-wise.
Juvyniled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 12:30   Link #52
ElecNinja

Quote:
Spoiler for Death Note spoilers ; will spoil the ending:

6th
Please, could you read everything ive wrote, I wrote "at first atleast" i know that C.C. helps out more later on, that was why i wrote it.
Spoiler for DeathNote:

And, i am not trying to prove that these are the same anime, I just wanna tell you that tey are very alike, if you accept that than im satisfied
Spoiler for death note spoilers:

I find that TOTALLY similar.

You might be saying that, but you're using the wrong things.
They are actually quite different.
In some ways, yes, they are similar. But that's at the very basic level of it.
ElecNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 12:35   Link #53
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
Quote:
Spoiler for Death Note spoilers:

right...you are totally way off . I know he doesnt die because there is a season 2 (he might die but get resurrected)
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 12:51   Link #54
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would like to remind people of one thing: Do not forget to use spoiler tags when referring to other animes!!. Not every one has seen Death Note, and your inconsiderate posting is effectively spoiling the anime for them. Do not quote untagged spoilers either! Further posts without properly used spoiler tags are going to get deleted.
Old 2007-08-08, 12:59   Link #55
Berienzeltch

DN kinda goes over the same thing-ish... in my opinion - its like rawr kill him/her hide identity - more killing for ideal world! rawr
Berienzeltch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 13:21   Link #56
Stark

This thread is for talk about overall impressions of code geass? or for discuss for the taste to a series or other?
Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 13:26   Link #57
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berienzeltch View Post
DN kinda goes over the same thing-ish... in my opinion - its like rawr kill him/her hide identity - more killing for ideal world! rawr
except Lelouch actually shows some remorse over the people he's killed (mostly just euphie, but shirley's father and all the people in the stadium to a lesser degree too.)

Light was one dimensional, but Lelouch had some depth to him.

anyway, not sure I should make to many judgements on this series when it's only at the halfway point....but all and all I'd say that every week was an enjoyable watch, they twisted a lot of mecha cliches on their head, and the midpoint/'finale' was done as it should be: clear the board for the true plotline and leave half the cast psuedo-dead for reappearances after a likely timeskip. one of the few series I've bothered to go through twice, can't wait for whatever awaits ahead.
ashlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 14:06   Link #58
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

At the end of the day when you are suggesting someone watch a recent anime similiar to DN or Code Geass only these series (As of right now) can really be suggested for one another...That tells the tale right there...I could go deep into intricate analysis but I think surface comparison's here are enuff to finalize the veiw that these 2 shows are really similiar in core-themes...I don't see what's so bad about that...Just because you don't like what happened to your fav character in DN and thought the rest of the series sucked because of that doesn't mean the similiarities don't exist...Only your lack of enjoyment with the route of the story makes people wanna discard the comparison...Name a third series that's currently out that can be compared to both these shows, that's the tale of the tape (and subsequently the end of the discussion)...
Old 2007-08-08, 14:50   Link #59
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Arrow following the format

Animation Quality: 7.0
Voice Actors: 10.0
Music: 7.0
Script: 5.0
Editing: 3.0

Mean: 6.4/10.0

Over everything, pretty good show. Could have been a lot better and is a mess plot/organization wise. Too much penor stroking, product placement and viral marketing from Sunrise, they're a bunch of pompous gits if I've ever saw a set in an anime studio.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-08, 15:07   Link #60
Icey

Quote:
Spoiler for death note spoilers:

I find that TOTALLY similar.

Well this aint going anywhere so let this be the last one.

1st
Who are you talking about, could be both of them

2nd
Well, when he geass pople to answer his questions he ask them several questions not just one... then he should be able to give 2 diffrent comands to.

3rd
Nope i dont, i've already said that that was a diffrence

4rd
I dont, and probaly he dont, but to be honerst that dosent really matter, what i meant about the similar ending was the way
Spoiler:

5th
Well their goals are the same (even here they are useing kind of exactly the same line.)
Spoiler:

Noting more need to be said

6th
Spoiler:

I say it once again: They are similar, in what grade is a matter of oppinion. But still they are two completely diffrent Animes and one of the reasons ive gave it 7/10 was beacuarse i saw to much death note in it.