AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 12 44.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 29.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 11.11%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 3.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-27, 12:29   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Animators did a really nice job of Mari's running off in tears bit. That was right there with some of KyoAni's best work.

Seiyu put in a very solid performance.

There was some nice, short comedy bits.

This episode's live performance is probably my favorite Sunshine live performance so far. I loved how colorful it was, and the song is nice. Definitely best Sunshine costumes so far.

On the more critical side of things, I basically agree with Akuma Kousaka and R.Lock's criticisms. Pacing is an issue.

Still, full kudos to the animators and seiyu and BGM people. They did very good work here.
Old 2016-08-27, 12:32   Link #22
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Send a message via MSN to Windy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
If the series has a fault, I'd comment on it instead of brushing it aside. Especially, when it's as glaring as it is in the latest episode.

Oh yeah, if you call me a hater I'll probably die from laughter.
No I have no problem with your opinion on the matter. Pacing is just an opinionated thing just like people complaining about character development. Everyone has different standards.

Yeah, I do feel like the plotline was a LITTLE rushed, but I can forgive it given the format. Others not so much.

My problem is more along the lines of people hiding said complaints and not coming out with them in favor of complaining about other issues until said issue is seemingly resolved. Like a lot of people whining about the Muse references and now that they're not there they complain about faults that were clearly there in the first place, but were overshadowed by their hate for thinking the show couldn't stand on its own.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 12:38   Link #23
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

I finally ascended to nirvana. This was too gay for words. The girlfriends are finally together.
Old 2016-08-27, 12:44   Link #24
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
Great episode, especially the rain scene and the song at the end.

However...

Spoiler for ep9:

ahah i didn't thought of that
seriously tho, i assume they were rather completely forgotten at this point
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 12:57   Link #25
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitta Luminis View Post
I finally ascended to nirvana. This was too gay for words. The girlfriends are finally together.
Dia was kinda left out of that particular equation, though.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 13:05   Link #26
Windy
Smug AF Birb

On a more lighthearted note, Mari was sent back 2 years in time for about 5 seconds XD

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-08-27, 14:38   Link #27
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
On a more lighthearted note, Mari was sent back 2 years in time for about 5 seconds XD

Images
We always have the BD..

Kono Dia da..!!

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 16:16   Link #28
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

This was a great episode. I don't see the problem with the pacing because you don't want to go back to back to back in a "depress fest" with more feels; even if they are happy ones. This isn't Clannad. I don't want to sit through that again. Time to move on.

Mari's running and crying sequence with Kanan was reminiscent of a Key/Kyoani project. Well done, Sunrise.

The series has to show more lighter things or bonding moments with all 9 before the competition starts up again.
On that note, the performance was beautiful and everyone had their moments.
The coloring, fireworks, mid-changing outfit magic show, a Guilty Kiss sighting, and the sparkling and fading outro was amazing.

Who would of thought Yohane's King from Tekken.

11/10
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 16:24   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post
This was a great episode. I don't see the problem with the pacing because you don't want to go back to back to back in a "depress fest" with more feels; even if they are happy ones.
...That's partly why I see pacing issues here. This is back-to-back episodes of heavy duty FEELS (or attempts at them anyway). I was hoping this episode would be a more relaxing mix of lighthearted and serious, setting up another FEELS episode in Episode 10 or 11.

As is, the 3rd years drama feels pretty rushed to me. Dia's joining in particular feels really shoe-horned in.

Since you brought up Clannad... I have to be frank, I much prefer Clannad's approach to drama than Sunshine's so far. But I suppose Clannad did have an advantage with its 4 cours worth of episodes, to be fair.
Old 2016-08-27, 16:26   Link #30
Pen3

It was an good episode, but i also agree that they crammed a bit too much in one episode. Even though it is one coeur, i am fairly sure that knew there is going to be a second season. That is no excuse in rushing the 3rd year drama since they have been baking on it for soo long. I expected more out of them since episode 8 was great, but ugh one step forward and two backwards. This episode would've been better in two episodes and if they would cut out some of the childish stuff in the beginning, even among the LL franchise, it is too childish for an important drama episode.

The performance was good, dance was decent, staging/backdrop was good and the costume was one of their best so far. The voice though.... when they aren't singing together and harmonizing, they don't sound very good on their own. Riko, Yohane and Dia sounded ok, but the rest was nothing to rave about.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 16:27   Link #31
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...That's partly why I see pacing issues here. This is back-to-back episodes of heavy duty FEELS (or attempts at them anyway). I was hoping this episode would be a more relaxing mix of lighthearted and serious, setting up another FEELS episode in Episode 10 or 11.

As is, the 3rd years drama feels pretty rushed to me.
To be fair, while I do share your opinion of rushing things, it was fairly obvious the lighthearted stuff would come after the whole gang got together in order to show them off and giving us relaxed moments with the third years. Kanan desperatly needs those.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 16:27   Link #32
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

@Triple R

I think it's for the best since their probably setting it up to focus more on the competition. bonding, and the looming school merging story line.
This doesn't even include the possible rivals they'll meet at the competition while other characters still need more attention like You.
Here's hoping they will go full Sport Anime for S2. I was got really hyped when Guilty Kiss finally appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Since you brought up Clannad... I have to be frank, I much prefer Clannad's approach to drama than Sunshine's so far. But I suppose Clannad did have an advantage with its 4 cours worth of episodes, to be fair.
I was mostly talking about the running sequence and Mari's facial expressions with Kanan remind me of a Kyoani/Key series and part of the drama too.

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2016-08-27 at 16:41.
Old 2016-08-27, 16:34   Link #33
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I would daresay the Kotori drama at the end of OG S1 is better since even though it's quality equal to Sunshine!! ep9, the lack of build up means there's no room to start building expectations. Sunshine!!'s 3rd year drama built expectations and then they still doled out this. There's no excuse
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 16:43   Link #34
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I have to disagree about the Kotori drama.

The buildup for the 3rd years in Sunshine was much better. They learned from their mistake from the past.

The Kotori drama was completely unnecessary and had no business happening. If you want to see what forced drama looked like? That right there.
All that did was place her on the bottom list of the new PV voting poll when she had won the previous one and Umi's slap was the final nail in that coffin.
They had to make up for it on S2 and steered away from anything like that again. That's why we had the overly dramatic snow walking scene instead.
It saddened me because Kotori was last place and she's my #2, but Nork was devastated and Tempster was pissed. lol

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2016-08-27 at 17:18.
Old 2016-08-27, 16:59   Link #35
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

I loved the episode, probably my favorite so far, but it kinda felt like an info dump and as much as I loved the drama I'm just glad it is over. Any animosity I felt towards Kanan has disappeared and that was my main issue with the series (the lack of Kanan). The ending song was beautiful, and a nice change in pace to the usual songs.
Can't wait for the next episode, though. It looks pretty exciting :3
Images
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 17:00   Link #36
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
I would daresay the Kotori drama at the end of OG S1 is better
No, no I wouldn't go that far. This episode's drama annoyed me slightly, whereas the Kotori drama made me seethe with anger and hate towards the staff for defiling the mood and nature of the show as a whole. The Kotori drama also managed to magnificently plummet Kotori's popularity among fans into the shitter while also making a big blow towards Honoka's image, while at least in this case Kanan was portrayed as a standoffish edgelord for the whole season up to this episode. They're on completely different levels of badness.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 17:02   Link #37
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
No, no I wouldn't go that far. This episode's drama annoyed me slightly, whereas the Kotori drama made me seethe with anger and hate towards the staff for defiling the mood and nature of the show as a whole. They're on completely different levels of badness.
I knew you would show up for this. Good times.
Old 2016-08-27, 17:10   Link #38
Windy
Smug AF Birb

Quote:
No, no I wouldn't go that far. This episode's drama annoyed me slightly, whereas the Kotori drama made me seethe with anger and hate towards the staff for defiling the mood and nature of the show as a whole. The Kotori drama also managed to magnificently plummet Kotori's popularity among fans into the shitter while also making a big blow towards Honoka's image, while at least in this case Kanan was portrayed as a standoffish edgelord for the whole season up to this episode. They're on completely different levels of badness.
I agree in a way. Its unfair to really compare the two when the Kotori drama came completely out of nowhere and kind of ruined the mood of the show for a while whereas this plot was here since the beginning of the series and was just resolved in well...a way that's divisive among fans lets put it like that.

What was said was probably just a result of anger based on disappointment based on expectations and not being able to look at it objectively. I could be wrong though.
Old 2016-08-27, 17:32   Link #39
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
My issue with the Kotori drama is its suddenness compounded with being overdramatic, while Sunshine!!'s 3rd year drama culminates 8 episodes into a finale that needed to be 2 episodes while also being more overdamatic. I don't mind Kanan, but what hurt is how Mari changed when episode 8 flawlessly handled Chika's "shift"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
I agree in a way. Its unfair to really compare the two when the Kotori drama came completely out of nowhere and kind of ruined the mood of the show for a while whereas this plot was here since the beginning of the series and was just resolved in well...a way that's divisive among fans lets put it like that.

What was said was probably just a result of anger based on disappointment based on expectations and not being able to look at it objectively. I could be wrong though.
The Kotori drama and Sunshine!! episode 9 are equal in a vacuum, but in context there's no reason they should be equal when the Kotori drama is sudden and the 3rd year drama has been building
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-27, 17:47   Link #40
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I'm really like how Chika is turning out in Sunshine.
From how she orders the 3rd years around and seek Yohane on a running Dia, she's a natural leader and doesn't even realize it yet. lol

This episode also showed me something I wanted to see for some time.

Images
Current Wallpaper

This looks like a CD cover.
Give it to me, Lantis. lol