Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2007-03-05, 22:50   Link #1
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Rad's Renders + Vectors

I've been working on some random stuff recently so I thought I'd share some of it First up, a couple of fairly quick vectors I made:

Ana-chan from Ichigo Mashimaro, looking surprised (click for the fullsized version in my gallery):

I screwed up my lines a bit and they went jaggy, but apart from that I'm quite happy with her, particularly since this is the first vector I've attempted in quite a long time

Next up is the adorable Lily-chan from Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle, a series I fell in love with immediately (Saito Chiwa voicing Futaba-chan helps heh.) The source image was taken from episode 4, a little way before Lily's eyes return to normal (I'm saying no more than that, you'll have to watch it if you want to know more ) Again, click to go to the fullsize version:

I'm a lot happier at how this one turned out. I think probably because the source image plus the art style are slightly more complex (IchiMaro's got very simple shading etc compared to this one.) I managed to get less jaggy lines this time too, though still not perfect. More practice needed I guess, which is no bad thing

Now for something a little different, a couple of renders of a model I made a while back, which I've been tweaking a bit to make the renders nicer:

It is of course Vita's Graf Eisen weapon from Lyrical Nanoha A's. I initially modeled just the rocket boosted version, but I spent some time remodeling it into the standard one as well. Next on my modeling list is probably Bardiche, or maybe Raising Heart, haven't quite decided yet

If you rightclick and choose Save As Here you can download a short 2 second avi I rendered of the standard version of the weapon. It's encoded using x264 at 1024x640 resolution, so you'll need the CCCP installed to view it. Heh, 2 seconds... and it took around 7 hours total to render the 81 frames used in the animation (my pc is a little substandard for rendering, but the high poly count plus lighting and reflections take time to render anyway.)

Feel free to browse the rest of the gallery if you want, there's other stuff there that I've made, though I wanted to concentrate this post on these recent additions

Last edited by Radiosity; 2007-04-29 at 21:10.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 23:57   Link #2
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

For vector based drawing it looks really neat as opposed to raster . Really nice work ^^
Old 2007-03-06, 00:03   Link #3
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Well it's really vector then raster Vector first for the outlining, then raster layers for colouring. Thanks for the comment
Old 2007-03-06, 00:14   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have worked on Illustrator and Corel Draw so could tell the diffrence . Though my drawing were really bad not good as these
Old 2007-03-06, 00:32   Link #5
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
I've been working on some random stuff recently so I thought I'd share some of it First up, a couple of fairly quick vectors I made:

Ana-chan from Ichigo Mashimaro, looking surprised (click for the fullsized version in my gallery)
Say, did you do this vector manually? and......is the original screencap below all the layers?

I have zero talent to do anything by hand, so I always do everything with the pen tool in photoshop.

Quote:
Next up is the adorable Lily-chan from Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle.
This one actually reminded me of a trace I did some time ago. Good Work!!

Quote:
Now for something a little different, a couple of renders of a model I made a while back, which I've been tweaking a bit to make the renders nicer:
Looks pretty cool.

Though, it also looks complicated to make. I just dont have the slightest idea about how to do this sort of thing.
Old 2007-03-06, 01:03   Link #6
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Yup, screencap is the base layer. And I use the pen tool as well at the moment. I've got Illustrator kicking about but need to actually learn how to use it one of these days I just took a cap of the show, then resized that to a reasonable res (~2000pixels wide or high is good), then use the pen tool to go over the lines, stroke the paths, then start colouring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
Though, it also looks complicated to make.
Fairly complicated, but not that bad when you know what you're doing Clickies for a picture in Max

Thanks!
Old 2007-03-06, 03:38   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Fairly complicated, but not that bad when you know what you're doing Clickies for a picture in Max
Ouch !! It looks like the kind of thing that makes you take special courses at school just to get the basics.
Old 2007-03-06, 04:13   Link #8
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Well, I learnt most of the basics from community made VTM's from 3dbuzz.com, along with a certain amount of trial and error I've also got the 3dmax Essentials Courseware book written by Autodesk for use in the classroom, which was quite handy for learning everything else.

Interesting note if you're not aware: Max and Maya are two of the most widely used applications in the movie industry. 3dsmax (what I use) was actually used to create the crumble-to-dust effects in the second Blade film (with the help of a specially made particle effects plugin.) So yeah, it's a fairly powerful piece of kit

edit:

A couple more. First, my beloved Fate-chan (I seem to have a thing for blondes again...):

At this point I was still using the Pen and stroke method, and again I ended up with horrible jaggies on my outlines Otherwise she turned out pretty sweet though I guess. The eyes were a considerable annoyance thanks to the transparent hair effect being used, but nonetheless it worked out pretty well.

And next, everybody's favourite girl (clickies for gallery version):

Mai! I know the colour looks kinda weird, but it's on purpose. Go watch Kanon 16 again if you've forgotten what happened You should notice that this one isn't jaggy at all Thanks to Daniel E. for the awesome link to a shape layers tutorial, that method rocks completely, as can easily be seen by how nicely Mai turned out.

I'll post more as and when I decide to work on them.

Last edited by Radiosity; 2007-04-29 at 21:11.
Old 2007-03-06, 12:49   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ooo nice work here rad layer shapes are easier to use imo...less fuss over the thickness of the pen tool and quite easy when you understand the method as i can see ^_^
the 3D renders...are just awesome! i also have a friend that can do stuff like that on another program...its crazy watching him produce something as complex as this so easily O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS

Last edited by Deathkillz; 2007-03-06 at 13:38.
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-06, 13:09   Link #10
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Interesting note if you're not aware: Max and Maya are two of the most widely used applications in the movie industry. 3dsmax (what I use) was actually used to create the crumble-to-dust effects in the second Blade film (with the help of a specially made particle effects plugin.) So yeah, it's a fairly powerful piece of kit .
Maya...wasn't that one of the programs used in the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within movie?

Quote:
Thanks to Daniel E. for the awesome link to a shape layers tutorial, that method rocks completely, as can easily be seen by how nicely Mai turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz
ooo nice work here rad layer shapes are easier to use imo...less fuss over the thinkness of the pen tool and quite easy when you understand the method as i can see ^_^
Well, for me is the other way around. Whenever I try to use shape layers everything gets jaggy and I have problems with even the most simples of lines. Perhaps it's something related to the settings in photoshop or the like?

Either way, I am glad you find the guides useful. Those are the very same guides Solwyvern showed me quite some time ago.
Old 2007-04-29, 21:15   Link #11
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Well, I haven't done any traces in the longest time, so I recently decided I should do one just to keep my hand in

I'm not happy with the eyes, so that's part of the reason for 'near' final, the other being a background that I have yet to work on. You will also notice that I took caps of her during the stages of development, which you can see in the gallery (by clicking the rather large thumb there.)