AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-01-24, 13:18   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1073 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Howdy, folks! It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Miss Buckingham Stussy". In the ministory, we see that Vegapunk creates harmless inventions like tanks that shoot out flowers, which disgusts his more war-minded colleagues.

-After seeing her knock out Kaku, Lucci attacks Stussy! However, she dodges him with an illusion technique, then strikes him with a lipstick container that's concealing sea stone! After weakening him, Stussy proceeds to knock him out, as well! It's then revealed that she was Vegapunk's mystery contact all along! However, the doctor never intended for her to join CP0. She's also unable to cancel out Lucci's orders to the Seraphims, as that requires someone higher up in the command hierarchy. Lilith and Edison come outside to quell the rampage, but S-Hawk and S-Shark come charging at them before they get the chance to relay their orders! Thankfully, Zoro and Sanji jump in to stop the rogue clones before they manage to hurt anyone, and Edison finally gives them the order to stand down. Elsewhere in the lab, Luffy and Chopper are searching for Bonney and the original Vegapunk.

-Meanwhile, we cut to Sphinx Island (Whitebeard's home). It turns out the marines invaded the island for its treasures while Marco was at Wano, but surprisingly, it was Edward Weevil who came along and defended the place in the former WB commander's stead! Unfortunately, Weevil got himself captured by Ryokugyu in the end. Currently, Marco is chatting with Miss Bakkin (Bucking?), Weevil's mother. She wants him to go save her son, as well as hand over WB's inheritance. However, while Marco is grateful that Weevil protected the island in his absence, he's still reluctant to return the favor. Bakkin tells him that if he still has doubts about Weevil's lineage, then he ought to ask Vegapunk for answers....

-Elsewhere at sea, in Kizaru's ship, we see the admiral bringing some refreshments to an old man, which the marines tested for poison beforehand. He asks the old timer if he's met Vegapunk before, to which he answers yes, just once. As it turns out, the old man is none other than one of the Gorousei, aka Five Elders! His name is revealed to be SAINT JEGARCIA SATURN....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-01-25 at 17:03.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 16:34   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

One amazing chapter after another.

I'm impressed Stussy managed to take down Lucci so fast. As expected of a clone of a Rocks crew member, I guess. I like how efficient she seems to be in contrast to Luffy playing around with Lucci earlier.

So it's pretty much confirmed that Weevil is a failed clone of Whitebeard or a test tube baby. Whatever the case, something definitely went wrong somewhere because he's both too ugly and dumb to be Whitebeard's son.

With one of the Five Elders being there, the Seraphims are about to change sides again. They have the ultimate authority over them after all.
Old 2023-01-24, 18:35   Link #3
Gerard07

Seen the spoilers; In the end, if Sstudy was Vegapunk's secret ally, Weevil protected Marco's home (despite everything he has done to Shirohige's crew) but he was captured and an old man from Goroise will appear, hopefully interesting things will be revealed.
The bad thing is that there will be no chapter next week, but there is no remedy, to wait it has been said.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 18:35   Link #4
Rainbowman

Highlights of this chapter: Stussy knocking out Lucci, Stussy confirmed to be a clone of Buckingham Stussy, Edward Weevil actually defending Sphinx Island, and the reveal of one of the elder stars; Saint Jegarcia Saturn. Just got to determine which one he is and find out the names of the others and figure out which is which.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 12:42   Link #5
hyuugalegacy
Otaku, author wannabe

Sorry, little bit confused by this. Why would the marines invade Sphinx in the first place, it may have been Whitebeard's home, but he has been dead for a couple of years now.

Also don't see how Bakkin even has a leg to stand on, she had her son trying to hunt marco and the whitebeard pirates, but now she wants Marco to both save him, and give (a non-existent) inheritance. Marco is too nice if he even listened to that rubbish.

I like how the Gorosei are now moving though, here's hoping this means we will finally be able to see Im properly. I'm also wondering whether they are fighters, or whether they are like other celestial dragons, sitting on high, but otherwise worthless.
Old 2023-01-25, 15:18   Link #6
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuugalegacy View Post
Sorry, little bit confused by this. Why would the marines invade Sphinx in the first place, it may have been Whitebeard's home, but he has been dead for a couple of years now.
For propaganda. They can just run headlines saying that they brought down Whitebeard home and even lie by saying it was some sort of anti-WG hub.

Quote:
Marco is too nice
That's probably going to be it.

I have the feeling that this arc is going to lead to Zoro & Sanji vs. Kizaru. During his introduction, the Admiral fought with both swords and kicks, so it fits the manga's pattern of telegraphing SH opponents for both of them. Also, I feel like it still too soon for either Zoro or Sanji to take on an Admiral by themselves, while it would be a step down for Luffy to fight a marine other than Sakazuki.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 17:03   Link #7
marvelB

Pics are out! Huh, so Bakkin's intro notes that she's a self-proclaimed scientist.... well, that at least confirms once and for all that she was part of MADS. Interestingly, it's also noted that her clone has been in CP0 for 20 years.... wow. At least Vegapunk was scrupulous enough to keep a double agent on the inside, even if it wasn't his original intent.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuugalegacy View Post
Turns out the marines were there for the same reason as Bakkin: WB's rumored treasure. Also, the captain who threatened the villagers was some scummy rat-faced guy named Ratel, appropriately enough. I guess he's related to that other rat marine from back in the Arlong arc? If so, I guess being crooked moneygrubbers runs in the family, heh.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 20:19   Link #8
Theia_Loki

Oh, thank god. And there I was last week thinking she [Stussy 01] was aligned with either the real Buckingham Stussy or with Blackbeard's crew. Should've seen that one coming since she was suspiciously quiet back when Lucci noted how the Dome's defenses were down for some reason, and that she deliberately kept that knowledge from Lucci and Kaku until they "discovered" its effects the hard way. Though I'm still curious as to how in the hell she managed to keep her "co-workers" from catching her on Den-Den Mushi with Vegapunk while she was on her way up there.

And it's looking like the Gorosei [Five Elder Stars] have a planets-based name theme. I'm still curious as to whether Saturn has any fighting capabilities of his own (why else would he have that scar on his face?), but considering the Seraphim having him and his peers as the higher rank in Authority he wouldn't have to anyway.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 10:49   Link #9
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I have the feeling that this arc is going to lead to Zoro & Sanji vs. Kizaru. During his introduction, the Admiral fought with both swords and kicks, so it fits the manga's pattern of telegraphing SH opponents for both of them. Also, I feel like it still too soon for either Zoro or Sanji to take on an Admiral by themselves, while it would be a step down for Luffy to fight a marine other than Sakazuki.
No. Luffy is not ready to face Akainu. He needs more than that. The first thing he can get is to defeat Ryokugyu in a duel, then he can face Akainu when that happens. Until Luffy can't defeat Ryokugyu alone, he won't be eligible to fight Akainu.

As for Zoro and Sanji, the matchup would be nice. But, if Issho also comes, then it would be a trio monster vs. three Admirals. Issho has been out of the picture for a while, so I expect he may also come to chase after Luffy.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-29, 15:01   Link #10
Gerard07

Having seen the episode, the original Vegapunk disappeared (because of Bonney or someone else?), and that I hope Marco does NOT help Weevil (he has done a lot of damage to Shirohige's crew and their allies). As for the old man from Goroise, I guess he must have some combat skills or some broken ability (aside from giving him orders from the Robot-Kids), because if he doesn't, why risk bringing someone so important to the island where do they know there is a Yonkou?, to wait for the next chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote