AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2022-05-07, 08:11   Link #1
Nymene

Lightbulb I'd like an Anime to be made about France's Black General, Thomas-Alexandre Dumas

I'd like an Anime to be made about France's first Black General, Thomas-Alexandre Dumas. Preferable with the art style where female characters either look cute like in some Isekai or look elegant like in Violet Evergarden.

The reason why I'd like an Anime like this to be made is because recently I played a SRPG based on the French Revolution titled, "Banner of the Maid" but am irked that Dumas isn't in the game as a playable character despite the developer inserting their own forced out-of-place Self-Insert Chinese female pirate character(which has more reason NOT to be in the game than a Half-Black person who actually existed in real life history who fought for France in those times ).

So do you think an Anime like this be made in Japan ? True, if one wants to make a story like this one has to insert the unavoidable depictions of slavery as happened in real life, but it's worth to tell this story even under such elements because it'll help more non-French people around Asia and the world to know that there once was this kind of person who contributed his services for the French Army and fought for them ( At a time period more than 150 years before Black people could even fight in the US Army for their country ).

It'll do Dumas justice if more people get to know about him as much as Napoleon since he directly served under Napoleon just like Yasuke once served under Nobunaga.
And unlike Yasuke where there's not much historical records about him, Dumas has more records to draw reference from, even if Japanese don't want to include more fictional low-fantasy elements into the story like they did with Yasuke Anime.

Representation of a Minority Historical Figure that contributed in one of the most important periods of human history is important, since there are still some people in Japan that are not aware that Black people live in France too nor are they any more knowledgeable about France's historical ties with Africans in the colonizer role. It's fair for them to include Black characters too since they already have abundant numbers of native French characters in their Anime, so it's time for Dumas' turn to shine as an Anime character next, IMHO !

Here are the kinds of characters that can appear in such an Anime :

1. Thomas-Alexandre Dumas ( MC )
2. Napoleon Bonaparte ( Superior and Best Friend Character like August from Kenja no Mago )
3. Marie-Louise Élisabeth Labouret ( Main Heroine )
4. Optional Secondary Heroine for Dumas just to have an interesting love triangle with Labouret
5. Josephine, which will be Napoleon's girl and become future Empress of France. The highest status female character in this show so she must be drawn in an elegant character design even though these 2 are secondary couple in the show.
6. Dumas' dad which is 100 percent Native French and his mother which is of African descent.

As for villains, Japan can create interesting male and female officers serving in the Austrian, Russian, and British armies which at that time were France's enemies. Some of them can even look like Esdeath, like in Russian ranks perhaps, lol

As for Japanese characters, Japan at that time was in an Isolationist Sakoku period, so it'll be hard to include them unless they're going for the low fantasy route so that some plot elements can have Japanese characters be magically teleported to France under or against their will to join Dumas, Napoleon and co. in their merry adventures across Europe to conquer the land for France lol

Fun fact : In history, during the Egyptian Campaign, on the march from Alexandria to Cairo, Dumas clashed verbally with the Expedition's supreme commander Napoleon Bonaparte, under whom he had served in the Italian campaigns. Even friends and relationships between boss and subordinates can have disagreements when it comes to how to execute a campaign and strategy successfully, so such an Anime could include such an intense scene as that.
Nymene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-07, 23:41   Link #2
Tenzen12

Well, then you should go visit japan and show studio of your choice your pitch.
Old 2022-05-08, 23:54   Link #3
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I doubt it.
Hate to tell you this, but the black population in Japan is incredibly small, and as far as anime characters go, otaku like dark skinned girls, but that is usually the more Arabian or whatever you call them, anyways, not dark-skin as in black or African American. There is no audience.
At the best, maybe you can get Netflix or one of those American companies to fund an original anime... for the Western audience? I don't even think most Western otaku care about 'inclusiveness" in anime (AKA Japanese cartoons) though. There are plenty of Western cartoons that do that already

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-09, 06:53   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It might be obvious from the name, but it should be noted he was also the father of Alexandre Dumas (writer of The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, etc), who is immensely more well known than him.

I think the best you can hope for is for him to show up as a servant in F/GO (which might have happened, I don't play the game). I'm sure he'll make a very cute girl.
Old 2022-05-09, 16:01   Link #5
Golden Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm sure he'll make a very cute girl.
I love how it's no longer even a matter of questioning, but expecting.
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best friend is emperor, black protagonist