Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2022-01-09, 10:25   Link #1
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Anime at 24fps vs 60fps and higher

How does everyone feel about it?

For reference watching things in 60fps+ is possible these days with https://bluesky-soft.com/en/BlueskyFRC.html Not sure if there's a better one. You just enable it in MVC-BE and other programs to turn everything to 60fps.

Anyway. This is not about why companies use 24fps, but just how people feel about 60fps. Aside from "I'm used to 24fps" since I think everyone who frequents this forum definitely has a love for classic 24fps no matter how good we ever get with 60fps+

Here's some side-by-side,

Personally I feel like for some type of anime it works better then others. Specifically when the movement when converted still looks "natural" enough in the fluid 60fps (which not everything does, but battle scenes or super fast movement usually always do). Ideally, it would be nicer if it was selective per scene but that probably a bit too hard outside of people just editing it together to selectively use it only in some scenes.

Relevant to topic:

Old 2022-01-10, 01:35   Link #2
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

*throws up*
Uggh, anime looks horrible when you do that. The "choppiness" of hand-drawn anime is one of the beautiful parts about it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 01:52   Link #3
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

I didn't hate it but moment like this is what made me understand why Arc System Works working hard to replicate that 24 FPS for their games.
There's certain charm to its "choppiness" when it comes to anime styling and the flow of movement looks natural as well when you consider the whole scene.

Scene like Saitama cape looking good, then you see Nadeshiko slurping noodles, Joseph arm movement or Inuyasha ears.

Old 2022-01-10, 05:46   Link #4
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I didn't hate it but moment like this is what made me understand why Arc System Works working hard to replicate that 24 FPS for their games.
There's certain charm to its "choppiness" when it comes to anime styling and the flow of movement looks natural as well when you consider the whole scene.

I feel compelled to post this video about Arc Systems

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I believe those guys found the Holy Grail of 2.5D animation.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-10, 09:42   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
*throws up*
Uggh, anime looks horrible when you do that. The "choppiness" of hand-drawn anime is one of the beautiful parts about it.
I'm pretty much in agreement of 60fps being... not right when it was designed for 24fps, but just for fun I have been going into the season just watching it at 60fps.

Some interesting things I found was that if the show is something like a slice of life such as Slow Loop, there's no particular artifacts or anything "off" about it, since at least for episode 1, it's all mostly fluid short animation that's just intended to trick you in thinking its a smooth animation going from A to B.... err, probably. Can't tell since didn't check what it looks like normally. Trying to see what happens if I go from watching it 60fps to 24fps later; ie. if it's just a "what you watched first" bias.

Of course if a show happens to be very random with it's motions then yes you get all the weirdness talked about in the last video of the opening post I linked, but it's still something that happens only occasionally since anime isn't designed to be constant "artistic expression" and most things are just simple motions. I kind of like the fluid chaotic fight scenes when they go from 24 to 60 since the fluidity and chaos just get "enhanced" at little to no detriment.

I guess it's true that if an animation is very artistic then changing it's frame rate is just bad. But it seems if the animation is very utilitarian/simple, then changing it's frame rate is fine if not an improvement overall.
Old 2022-01-12, 18:00   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Maybe it's because I'm just used to 24fps, but 60fps looks plain weird to me, for both anime and live action (obviously it's great for games). First thing I do when I get a TV is turn off the motion "smoothing" settings (I don't know if they still include them anymore) that makes everything 60fps. My uncle has it on on his TV and every time I got to his place, even the finest film looks super cheap.