AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-05-31, 13:14   Link #1
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Girls'n'Guns Anime after 2017?

Are there any nice Girls'n'Gun anime in recent years?

If you're wondering what Gun'n'Girls anime are ...

[2001] Noir
[2001] Najica
[2003] Gunslinger Girl
[2003] Chrno Chrusade
[2004] Bakuretsu Tenshi
[2004] Grenadier
[2004] Mezzo DSA
[2004] Madlax
[2006] Black Lagoon
[2007] El Cazador de la Bruja
[2009] Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

... or has the genre died out?
Old 2021-05-31, 14:25   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

At least one girl in Princess Principal uses a gun, but it's not a shoot-em-up like, say, Najica Blitz Tactics or Black Lagoon.

Looking over my list for the past five or six years makes me think it's a genre that has not survived the passage of time.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 16:51   Link #3
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

There was Youjo Senki in 2017 and I guess you can count Sword Art Online Alternative in 2018. I can't think of anything afterwards, though. Dorohedoro (2020) kind of kept the spirit alive, but no guns.
0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-31, 18:42   Link #4
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

You want stuff like No Guns Life for that these days. It's way more common in manga format also
Old 2021-06-01, 05:04   Link #5
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
One major thing to note, since I had a friend who was big-time into the Girls with Guns genre: most of the famous titles on that list (Noir, Madlax, El Cazador, Phantom) were done by the studio Bee Train. I'm not even sure that studio still exists, and they certainly haven't put out any major anime in years- I was just checking, and it seems that the studio faded into doing 2nd key and in-between animation. So, I'd say that the genre has effectively died out.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-01, 06:31   Link #6
Tenzen12

This year should come Girls Frontline anime. Not sure how it will go but source material is damn good.
Old 2021-06-01, 08:30   Link #7
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Indeed, it's a shame about Bee Train. Though, maybe not thinking about what they got away with calling animation.

What little art I can find about Dolls' Frontline looks more like a cute-girls-doing-cute-things variant with a somewhat gritty environment, like Azur Lane. Not my cup of tea, but let's see how it will turn out.

I've bookmarked No Guns Life, but it also has a kind of juvenile vibe, like Shingeki no Kyojin. I always preferred the more mature variants of the genre, like Gunslinger Girl. Something without silly pantyshots or getting the protagonist all blushing when seeing a nude girl. Think Black Lagoon and Rocks reaction, when the little girl/boy flashed him. These type of anime have always been rare, though, so I'm not exactly complaining. Just sighing.
Old 2021-06-01, 10:13   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Before we dismiss Bee Train, let me point out that they also made Hyouge Mono. Knowing only their prior reputation I was surprised to see Bee Train was the studio for this show. Their efforts far exceeded my expectations.
Old 2021-06-01, 17:41   Link #9
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Indeed, it's a shame about Bee Train. Though, maybe not thinking about what they got away with calling animation.

What little art I can find about Dolls' Frontline looks more like a cute-girls-doing-cute-things variant with a somewhat gritty environment, like Azur Lane. Not my cup of tea, but let's see how it will turn out.
I can guarantee there is not lot of "doing cute things", well unless you are into suicide bombing and stuff like that...
Spoiler for warning contain spoilers:

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2021-06-01 at 17:58.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-02, 05:10   Link #10
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

The Cute Girls Doing Cute Things genre isn't so much about what the girls do - they are girls, whatever they do is cute, including genocide. It's about having a cast that is 98% cute girls doing whatever. Like Girls and Panzer, where the girls use tanks to battle each other. Or High School Fleet, where the girls command a battle ship. (Or KanColle, where the girls are battle ships.)

Someone basically looked at the harem genre and thought that one might as well remove the self-insert male as the linchpin holding things together and adding more girls; solving the problem of who ends up with him, since no matter who it is, it will enrage the fans of all the other girls. Which is also why there are so few harem anime that will give you a proper conclusion.
Old 2021-06-02, 05:25   Link #11
Tenzen12

You literaly included Gunsliger Girls (which GFL had colaboration btw) and Bakuretsu Tenshi. Well, I am not gonna push it any further (there is no point of forcing you watch something you don't want), but if those two doesn't count as "Cute girls doing cute stuff" neither does GFL and if GFL counts as that so does GG and BT. I will say at least that.

Edit: Also human commander is pretty relevant in story (especially later), as are other male characters
Old 2021-06-02, 07:13   Link #12
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Neither of those two are cute girls doing cute things. Not sure how to better explain it, though. It's kinda like moe. You know it when you see it, but you'll be damned trying to explain it to someone who doesn't get it.

I'm also not totally opposed to the genre and based on the few screenshots I can't say for sure, anyway. I'll be checking it out and judging later, like I already said.
0cean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-02, 08:52   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

If you expand the definition of "guns" to other tools of war like in Girls and Panzer, then https://myanimelist.net/anime/2604/Sky_Girls fits, but it was made in 2007. (The OVAs from this show about "Fishing Maniac Eika-san" can be quite hilarious.)

Old 2021-06-02, 09:35   Link #14
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Thanks. I've set the date for after 2017, since I've more or less watched all anime from earlier. I watched Sky Girls already when it first came out. Of course, there are older anime I haven't watched, but at some point I've systematically looked through an anime database checking every anime in existence and then watched everything I found interesting.

But no, I don't mean tanks and other stuff, that digression was just in the context of Cute Girls Doing Cute Things. I'm only interested in guns and rifles and things like that. Or if it's historical then other contemporary weapons.