AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-08-18, 23:18   Link #101
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The writers at Anime News Network are an immature bunch of virtue signallers and have been for quite some time, unworthy of any consideration. The charm of Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out is precisely because Hana is annoying: this sets up an expectation such that, when things do get serious and we see a more caring, empathetic side of her, it's a good payoff.
Old 2020-08-19, 10:10   Link #102
runesong
The Book of Friends

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
The writers at Anime News Network are an immature bunch of virtue signallers and have been for quite some time, unworthy of any consideration. The charm of Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out is precisely because Hana is annoying: this sets up an expectation such that, when things do get serious and we see a more caring, empathetic side of her, it's a good payoff.
Well said. I find the show extremely charming, and just as you said the payoff is the endearing moments. (much like Nagatoro in that respect). That said, it seems like ANN just likes to review some shows to have an excuse to bag on them. The reviewer in this case clearly dislikes the show, so why are they bothering to review it then?

I gotta say this kind of thing really lowers my opinion of ANN to a great degree. People are even pointing out how lame it is in their own forums.
runesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 10:18   Link #103
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by runesong View Post
Well said. I find the show extremely charming, and just as you said the payoff is the endearing moments. (much like Nagatoro in that respect). That said, it seems like ANN just likes to review some shows to have an excuse to bag on them. The reviewer in this case clearly dislikes the show, so why are they bothering to review it then?

I gotta say this kind of thing really lowers my opinion of ANN to a great degree. People are even pointing out how lame it is in their own forums.
You should check out Nick Creamer’s despicable “first impressions” of Shield Hero if you want to see true pathetic virtue signaling over at ANN
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 11:24   Link #104
Psyco Diver

I find it hard to believe anyone goes to ANN, they haven't made a good article in like 10 years. I can't remember they last time I visited their page nor can I remember the last time anyone quoted anything they had to say
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 13:45   Link #105
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
You should check out Nick Creamer’s despicable “first impressions” of Shield Hero if you want to see true pathetic virtue signaling over at ANN
To be fair, even broken clock are right twice a day. I don't think any rational person could call Shield Hero a good story regardles of their political views.
Old 2020-08-19, 14:50   Link #106
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Lmao they were so tryhard with Shield Hero that ANN reputation took a huge hit and the damage control was hilarious.
Old 2020-08-19, 17:00   Link #107
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
To be fair, even broken clock are right twice a day. I don't think any rational person could call Shield Hero a good story regardles of their political views.
Speak for yourself. The series has many fans, myself included, and the majority of the stuff those people hate it for is very inaccurate at best and utter nonsense much of the time. ANN's reviews were particularly awful in that regard.

But either way, it is kind of funny just how many crazies come out when there's fanservice.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 17:31   Link #108
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

What I don’t get is what the virtue signallers, both ANN’s staff and the droves of Twitter addicts, hope to accomplish with this posturing and whining: it’s not like Japanese creators and studios pay heed to Western reception of lesser-known works, certainly not to the extent that they’d change it to pacify a vocal minority.
Old 2020-08-19, 17:51   Link #109
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Speak for yourself. The series has many fans, myself included, and the majority of the stuff those people hate it for is very inaccurate at best and utter nonsense much of the time. ANN's reviews were particularly awful in that regard.

But either way, it is kind of funny just how many crazies come out when there's fanservice.
It has lot of fans indeed and you will never see me deny such thing.

Well, I appreciate you are self-aware enough to go for that angle instead trying claim its actually good. Don't worry I also like some trashy stuff
Old 2020-08-19, 18:56   Link #110
Magewolf

Quote:
What I don’t get is what the virtue signallers, both ANN’s staff and the droves of Twitter addicts, hope to accomplish with this posturing and whining: it’s not like Japanese creators and studios pay heed to Western reception of lesser-known works, certainly not to the extent that they’d change it to pacify a vocal minority.
They are laying the ground work for imposing control over what(and how it) gets released outside of Japan. They have to protect the children from all that Fascist Japanese wrong-think. Like No Game No Life being banned in Australia and Amazon pulling some light novels off it's store.

It is a two pronged attack. Banning what they do not like and using some "approved" companies to join production committees to control what gets made in the first place. It also has the strange bedfellows of the ultra woke(protectors of the little people too stupid to know what is best for them) and the CCP (the worst oppressor in the world) united to control Japan.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 19:00   Link #111
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

As far as I can tell, China and the so-called "woke" crowds are at odds with one another; I'd be curious to read the thoughts surrounding how that works, but I feel that is probably discussion for a separate thread.

On Uzaki-chan, I'm just going to keep on watching, since it's twenty minutes of laughs each and every week. With due respect, chocolate mint rants and the like are putting a smile on my face more than the more fanservice-y moments.
Old 2020-08-19, 19:19   Link #112
Blueknight78

what make its more weird, silly and funnu, is which all that "virtual signally toward usaki is only making "real life big breast womans" getting pissed and go twitter defend usaki, because they feel being represented by her, because for some "unknow reason trash peoples on twitter believe which womans can't have big breast and don't look cute and young, all must be a sort of ugly muscle "manly" woman, otherwise you are "sexualizing and being sexist and bla bla bla, because we are in the age of puritans and the puritanism is coming back, from the "same feminists and others activists fighting for womans rights(only what they demands at "right" and they own selfish rights), but is really funny seeing a lot of girls going on usaki defense.

really twitter, ANN, Funimation" become just places of hate, shame, and troll in the same way they call "others" as being what they are doing too.
Old 2020-08-19, 19:24   Link #113
Magewolf

Quote:
As far as I can tell, China and the so-called "woke" crowds are at odds with one another; I'd be curious to read the thoughts surrounding how that works, but I feel that is probably discussion for a separate thread.

On Uzaki-chan, I'm just going to keep on watching, since it's twenty minutes of laughs each and every week. With due respect, chocolate mint rants and the like are putting a smile on my face more than the more fanservice-y moments.
Last post about this since it is a bit OT. I meant they were running the same plans to control Japanese entertainment. You have the CCP tightening the noose on what they let in and using companies they own to attempt to buy up or at least gain a large interest in Japanese entertainment companies. The Woke are getting their banning game going and are using companies they control to dangle Western money in front of production committees if they toe the line.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-08-19, 19:47   Link #114
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
It has lot of fans indeed and you will never see me deny such thing.

Well, I appreciate you are self-aware enough to go for that angle instead trying claim its actually good. Don't worry I also like some trashy stuff
Sorry, should have been more explicit: in my opinion it is indeed a good story. Very good. And I'm not alone in that assessment. It may not be perfect, but it is a pretty darn good story all around. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's bad. Just like ANN reviewers hating on something doesn't make it bad, as has been repeatedly demonstrated.

But that's neither here nor there, and similarly the discussion of ANN seems to be drifting a bit.
Old 2020-08-19, 22:47   Link #115
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
In regards to the controversy with Uzaki-chan, it's not like it started in the west. Just do a search of Uzaki-chan, and the controversy that happened over the collab the author did with the Red Cross in Japan.
Old 2020-08-19, 23:07   Link #116
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
In regards to the controversy with Uzaki-chan, it's not like it started in the west. Just do a search of Uzaki-chan, and the controversy that happened over the collab the author did with the Red Cross in Japan.
yeah it started with one of the rare "and somehow well "know" japanese feminist" (if i'm not wrong the same with helped the feminist from australian to ban the novels in australian), then she started to twitt it to western "SJW" then it started all the controverse, while was her the "start bullet" she point to the right place to ignite all the fire, because she knows which in japan she is a really "minority" because in japan feminists are not well see in the same way as western and not just by "man" but also womans, most of the womans while are fighting against the "gender issues" they really don't like the "feminist" way of do things, because they still "japaneses" and normally they see those western moviment less like "heroes" and more like "troublesome peoples in most of the cases, the only moviment with really some strengt in japan is the me too, not because of womans but because many man in japan having been sufering from abuses (not necessary from they wifes or home), from workplace and others stuffs then they go for the me too as a way to help them. but others moviments like feminists or SJW, or PC can be viewed even as "full problematics" specially in regard how they constatly keep trying to "censor" japaneses stuffs which also are made by womans.

the feminist which started all that crap ove usage is a "well know" and hated(in overal even among womans in japan), because she let the "western censorhip vision" influence too much her.

many "lewds" mangas and novels are not "exclusive man mades" you have many female artists doing lewd mangas, novels, animes too because they love it(even hentai material you have female artists doing hentai), while japan like many countries at "front try to act all puritan", they value they freedom in being able to make anything they want be "family friend or be "problematic", and it's not just "males" but females too, they are more open about make lewd stuffs than western peoples(specially from places like UK, USA, Canada" were the censorship is much more strong, than others places.
Old 2020-08-20, 04:20   Link #117
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Sorry, should have been more explicit: in my opinion it is indeed a good story. Very good. And I'm not alone in that assessment. It may not be perfect, but it is a pretty darn good story all around. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it's bad. Just like ANN reviewers hating on something doesn't make it bad, as has been repeatedly demonstrated.

But that's neither here nor there, and similarly the discussion of ANN seems to be drifting a bit.
Is that so? Well, as I said I don't think any rational person would think it's good. That is something I said before your comment and I wouldn't take it back just because one of people it refers has now name. No offense intended, but I can't help if taken.

Well ANN is indeed trash too, which is reason I am not using it ever since they banned word "trap"
Old 2020-08-20, 09:58   Link #118
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Is that so? Well, as I said I don't think any rational person would think it's good. That is something I said before your comment and I wouldn't take it back just because one of people it refers has now name. No offense intended, but I can't help if taken.

Well ANN is indeed trash too, which is reason I am not using it ever since they banned word "trap"
You really don't need to be so excessive and judgmental. Just because you think the story is bad doesn't mean that it's "irrational" for someone to disagree with you. Seriously, your personal values are not the be-all end-all of quality. Just because I disagree with you on a show doesn't mean I'm irrational. And while there are series I dislike or find to be bad stories, I'd never go so far as to call someone irrational or anything else just because they thought it was good. I'd be curious as to what you find so awful about it, but this is hardly the place for such discussion.
Old 2020-08-20, 10:14   Link #119
Tenzen12

Well it's irrational if I happen to be right and writing and storytelling is something I am well versed in. If you want have extended discussion on that topic I am willing, but It would be better to bring it on pm as it's completely unrelated to this thread.
Old 2020-08-21, 07:40   Link #120
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
To be fair the campaign was a success even with the controversy involved, soon after the anime was announced.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, sugoi dekai