AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2020-02-05, 12:02   Link #8621
becool

this is one where the mc is the leader of an organisation

https://ncode.syosetu.com/n6147eu/

and side characters get to shine, beware its extremely long and i just read up to 400ch+, so my impressions are only up to that point(until i get further) but it has more than decent writing( for something this long), and with author introducing already existing organisation characters, while throwing some new ones every arc, and because the arcs are long enough, every one gets their spot, while the world keeps expanding, ooh and the update rate is phenomanal

there are some annoyances, some overdrawn parts, and the mc is growing but sometimes he comes off as hotheaded with no forthought, but all in all i recommend this for those that have time and have burned through everything in syosetu, just moderate your expectations and you can find something interesting in here

Last edited by becool; 2020-02-05 at 14:05.
becool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-05, 12:03   Link #8622
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^
Loner

^
"Friends" , "Colleagues" are not a thing in narou
Too fixated on being the strongest, the weakest, the whatever
Thus can never escape from trope of Hero and Demon King
Honestly at this point it's just the demon king tropes. Even when the guy is the "hero" he is inevitably hated or isolated by his surroundings or whatever.
Old 2020-02-05, 13:01   Link #8623
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Most of our gripes could be solved if these authors actually put some thought into their stories.
Yup. That in summary is my main complaint. I kinda want to say to these authors: you're going to be spending 100s/1000s of hours writing this thing. At least spend 1% of that time doing some research/planning.

Quote:
Too many BOCHI series in narou

I read a novel where the MC is a part of a team and it feels so refreshing

And when trouble gets out of hand, requesting reinforcements from other branches

When the reinforcements come, feels so epic

So tired of 1 Guy or 1 Guy and his harem save the world
Often these so-called loners come across as chuuni posers. ie they're not true loners but simply get off on the whole loner hero thing.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-05, 14:44   Link #8624
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
^
Loner

^
"Friends" , "Colleagues" are not a thing in narou
Too fixated on being the strongest, the weakest, the whatever
Thus can never escape from trope of Hero and Demon King
There are some that are like that, like this one for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Often these so-called loners come across as chuuni posers. ie they're not true loners but simply get off on the whole loner hero thing.
Yup. Are there any novels with actual loners in there?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-05, 16:44   Link #8625
bakato

Quote:
Yup. That in summary is my main complaint. I kinda want to say to these authors: you're going to be spending 100s/1000s of hours writing this thing. At least spend 1% of that time doing some research/planning.

That's an awfully generous assumption there. To think these people actually spend more than an hour for this shit and I don't even mean that. The inconsistency in their stories could be circumvented, if not resolved, with basic common sense rather than any research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
There are some that are like that, like this one for example.

What do you mean by actual loners? You mean protagonists that don't brag about how they're alone and how they don't need other people and instead they show it through their actions?
Old 2020-02-05, 18:40   Link #8626
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
A certain spider with a heart of steel springs to mind.

But even she gets some character growth and gains companions. Though then again, she still hates crowds - to the extent that she has to fight down the desire to massacre everyone when surrounded by people.
Old 2020-02-05, 21:04   Link #8627
Garn

Omitting novels where the protagonists are "older" (25+),
There are few novels where the protagonist wears some predominantly metal-like armor and not even a helmet (even those who do wear, change for some type of clothing).
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-05, 21:57   Link #8628
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Don't even get started with defense in isekai

With silly stats like in Gluttony, what's the need of armor

I remember when someone has like 10000 times the stats of a villager, how does that even work?

Quote:
Nope
They are real loners pretending to be chuuni that fancy being a loner

Easy to figure out by how the male and female characters are treated
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-05, 22:18   Link #8629
bakato

Quote:
^Don't even get started with defense in isekai

With silly stats like in Gluttony, what's the need of armor

I remember when someone has like 10000 times the stats of a villager, how does that even work?

Nope
They are real loners pretending to be chuuni that fancy being a loner

Easy to figure out by how the male and female characters are treated
Again, like I said with skills, there's nothing more banal than reading stat numbers in a fight. There's no sense of balance. Illustrating the physical force of your attacks with words is the way to go.
Old 2020-02-06, 01:40   Link #8630
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Skill So angry whenever I found shit like this :

In his case, he's a royal, but lost everything coz got "shit" skill
Him being royal doesn't protect him from anything

Can there be a stability in a world like this?
What if commoners get way more powerful skills?
Which should be the case since their number is 10000x the nobles
People will just revolt periodically because this stupid random skill bestowals

The implication of global setting is way beyond you and your to be yuusha friends!
Old 2020-02-06, 08:26   Link #8631
XFire
150% done

Quote:

The implication of global setting is way beyond you and your to be yuusha friends!
That's actually.....not entirely unrealistic. Royals have been kicked out or removed from their families because of birth defects in real life plenty of times.

And in this case it's not the usual "you have a weak skill so you are garbage" as much as "you literally cant use any form of the special magic system in this world". He's the equivalent of a quadriplegic in that world.
Old 2020-02-06, 11:20   Link #8632
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

^
^^ It should be noted that for that series specifically, the whole focus on the skills thing is unique to only the country MC was born in due to how it was founded while the rest of the world treats skills as just another thing to consider in a person's overall value for the most part. Also the skill assessment is actually unable to properly read his abilities due to him having reincarnated with his sword skills intact (though physical body unable to keep up with said skills) due to the dragon god he had slayed granting his wish.

Oh, and he's not royalty, but from a duke family. Not much difference I know, but still wanted to point that out.
Old 2020-02-06, 12:16   Link #8633
pervypig

eh, the thing that got my goat (always), is that skills/stats are "granted" automatically - either by divine or by doing some random actions in some stories. And then there are some authors that go and make it into "you are what you eat" skill/stat-up - but the worst offender is that leveling up a skill usually DOESN'T EVEN FUGGING MATTA!!! Why bother leveling up a skill if a simple 'ignite' spell make a fire-hurricane due to stat-multiplier?

But the problem is with how this get handled. The resultant power inflation that follow mean that in order to make the story interesting, god-tier level difficulties have to be contrived; which begs the question why the heck did the world even come into being with such god-tier level threats hanging around at every corner...
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-06, 12:44   Link #8634
Garn

In novels where the "system" gives either jobs, skills or titles depending on what one does or strives to do, protagonists are never actively shown trying to do something different.
Instead of learning fire magic, the MC learns plasma magic lol
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-06, 13:26   Link #8635
Tenzen12

Quote:

I am actually thinking I would check novel for this, there is even almost up to date translation. Well, only as long as I think dwarf onee-san has chance, she is clearly best girl. Much better then both princesses anyway.
Old 2020-02-06, 13:49   Link #8636
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I am actually thinking I would check novel for this, there is even almost up to date translation. Well, only as long as I think dwarf onee-san has chance, she is clearly best girl. Much better then both princesses anyway.
I thought about trying the novel, but got scared off by all the complaints of lots of pointless fluff and unnecessary POV changes lol
Old 2020-02-06, 17:41   Link #8637
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Oneesan will never win buuaakaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyureki View Post
^
^^ It should be noted that for that series specifically, the whole focus on the skills thing is unique to only the country MC was born in due to how it was founded while the rest of the world treats skills as just another thing to consider in a person's overall value for the most part. Also the skill assessment is actually unable to properly read his abilities due to him having reincarnated with his sword skills intact (though physical body unable to keep up with said skills) due to the dragon god he had slayed granting his wish.

Oh, and he's not royalty, but from a duke family. Not much difference I know, but still wanted to point that out.
His skill clearly shows God-something but without experimentation just instantly declaring it's useless anyway
Also, MC knows he's not useless (at least with a sword) but he just accepted the useless brand, such a retard

In some part of the manga there's a mention of him being royal
And Duke is usually the king's sibling so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
Why bother leveling up a skill if a simple 'ignite' spell make a fire-hurricane due to stat-multiplier?
Just pour more mana to basic magic and it will be godly
Why advanced magic even exists lol~
Old 2020-02-06, 18:38   Link #8638
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

Quote:
His skill clearly shows God-something but without experimentation just instantly declaring it's useless anyway
Also, MC knows he's not useless (at least with a sword) but he just accepted the useless brand, such a retard

In some part of the manga there's a mention of him being royal
And Duke is usually the king's sibling so...
Their focus was on the effect of the skill; that he's already at his limit and can't learn anything else.

As for the MC, he honestly doesn't care about the position of his family and actually welcomed the silent disowning with open arms because that means he won't be shackled by responsibilities and can go look for a way to learn magic.

While normally duke usually implies relation to the royal family...in this case that's not quite the case. His parents had a major part in the actual founding of the country after some kind of war (I don't remember the details anymore). In other words, the country has only just recently been founded and other than households that still remain from the previous country (assuming any are still around), everything is in the first generation.
Old 2020-02-07, 09:05   Link #8639
Tenzen12

Quote:
Oneesan will never win buuaakaa
Is that general statement or you just saying I should not bother with this particular novel?
Old 2020-02-07, 09:59   Link #8640
kari-no-sugata II

General reply to some recent comments. There is a pattern that goes:
1) World to MC: because magic voice says so, you're a failure / useless
2) MC cast out from society / current position
3) MC figures out he actually has a cheat ability
4) MC grows strong over time and is acknowledged as strong
5) MC to world: ZAMAA

I don't have a huge problem with the general concept. But I do have a problem with how it's typically implemented. ie for (1) if it's some mysterious skill that's never seen before, nobody bothers to investigate, they just assume what's convenient for the plot. In other words, it's cheap. Also, it's almost always the case that people assume that the "magic voice" has declared the MC useless when in fact it's their interpretation. So rather than "word of god" it's basically "stupid mortals".

The rest follows the same pattern. The MC is cast out way too easily. It's just cheap. MC figures out his ability is actually a cheat way too quickly/easily, further undermining the first point. Point 4 all too often follows the exact same sorts of growth patterns as every other MC. And point 5 feels empty because everything that came before was so cheap.

Tags
web novel