AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-05-04, 12:17   Link #61
Wandering Soul

Ah Aru, unfortunate just about all the time, but just fortunate enough that the rest of the class has not figured her out yet.
Old 2019-05-10, 17:02   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

70 out of 100 is the passing grade? That's high compared to what I'm used to. Is this actually an elite middle school?

Star of the episode was Teruyo. I really like the bowing gag.
Old 2019-05-10, 17:17   Link #63
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
70 out of 100 is the passing grade?
I thought that was pretty much universal? Even with MAL scores or video game reviews and so on.

Most anime high schools seem to grade on a curve though. So if the best student gets 75 then 75 = 100.

It was nice to see sensei again regardless.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 18:30   Link #64
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I thought that was pretty much universal? Even with MAL scores or video game reviews and so on.

Most anime high schools seem to grade on a curve though. So if the best student gets 75 then 75 = 100.

It was nice to see sensei again regardless.
I'm talking about anime. There are shows where a character can avoid failing just by scoring above 30.
Old 2019-05-10, 20:02   Link #65
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

So am I. If you've seen it look at Classroom of the Elite for example; the leads made a point that they intentionally scored lower to help the dipshit soccer dude pass. Going back to my example; if 75 = 100 then 75 - 30 = 45 is now passing. If they had scored 85 then dipshit would have needed 55.

I dunno how common curve scoring actually is (east or west) but I went to a kind of "elite" US high school and got used to it. I don't think Bocchi's school is elite... but if it was she'd seriously be fucking up the curve with a 98 (and that 100 in the eyecatch).
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-10, 22:08   Link #66
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Maybe it's a scenario that if you failed the test then you really need to prove you know your stuff to clear the re-test. The material probably isn't changing too much on the retest so you could just get lucky and clear it if the bar was a simple simple pass. Maybe you don't necessarily need 70 to pass the initial test, but you do for the extra tries after. Just pushing students to make sure they don't fail any further tests with that high bar as a deterrent. To be honest I'm not sure.

On another note, Bocchi's School of Laughs has a nice school song . I kind of love that they actually made a whole ED out of it. Similar to Aru's insert song last week, they really seem to be enjoying making this show. Not exactly varied on lyrics, but it was quite fun to watch and listen to.

I can feel for Bocchi at the start. Even if it is just a haiku, presentations can be a bit stressful.
Old 2019-05-11, 06:10   Link #67
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 6:

not as funny as the "unfortunate" previous episode, and some parts bored me.. but still a fun episode.

Bocchi suffered trying to say that haiku in front of class, and sensei thought Nako would kill her.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 10:50   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
So am I. If you've seen it look at Classroom of the Elite for example; the leads made a point that they intentionally scored lower to help the dipshit soccer dude pass. Going back to my example; if 75 = 100 then 75 - 30 = 45 is now passing. If they had scored 85 then dipshit would have needed 55.

I dunno how common curve scoring actually is (east or west) but I went to a kind of "elite" US high school and got used to it. I don't think Bocchi's school is elite... but if it was she'd seriously be fucking up the curve with a 98 (and that 100 in the eyecatch).
I haven't seen that particular show, sounds like it would have been informative for me. It seems harsh to grade people this way in middle school though.
Old 2019-05-11, 10:54   Link #69
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Generally every school anime I'd seen seemed to place 50 as the minimum to passing. It always struck me as strange that characters seemed to be able to pull through with grades in the sixties or upper fifties.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-11, 17:17   Link #70
James Rye

I would never have expected that they made Bocchi's School of Laughter song into an ED! It was so great! XDDD
Old 2019-05-11, 21:02   Link #71
Requiem-x
The slacking one

And finally we get to see Teru being Mya-nee levels of useless and cowardly... when it comes to Nako, that is. And yes, I didn't expect the song either, at least not until a few seconds before it began, like "wait, are they going to...?"
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-14, 18:50   Link #72
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Started watching this, and I'm digging it. WA HA HA
WA HA HA
WA HA HA
WA HA HA
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-17, 15:57   Link #73
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm kind of amazed that Kai is sticking to a promise that makes her that miserable. The concern should have been that Bocchi wouldn't make any friends at all. Thus setting a high bar to push her into branching out. It already worked. Sure that isn't everyone, but I'm not sure it's necessary to so strictly stick to it. Did she plan on worrying herself sick for entire school year until she heard back from Bocchi?

My second most shocked takeaway from this episode was that Aru didn't have a wardrobe malfunction at the pool. Which certainly sounds worse than I mean it to . Considering her poor luck it seemed a given that something unfortunate would happen. But really it was mostly all positive. She even got to enjoy Nako not being able to swim.

We even got to meet the distant 4th friend candidate in Kurai. A bit of a longer road there.
Old 2019-05-17, 18:54   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I'm kind of amazed that Kai is sticking to a promise that makes her that miserable. The concern should have been that Bocchi wouldn't make any friends at all. Thus setting a high bar to push her into branching out. It already worked. Sure that isn't everyone, but I'm not sure it's necessary to so strictly stick to it. Did she plan on worrying herself sick for entire school year until she heard back from Bocchi?

My second most shocked takeaway from this episode was that Aru didn't have a wardrobe malfunction at the pool. Which certainly sounds worse than I mean it to . Considering her poor luck it seemed a given that something unfortunate would happen. But really it was mostly all positive. She even got to enjoy Nako not being able to swim.

We even got to meet the distant 4th friend candidate in Kurai. A bit of a longer road there.
I really don't get Kai. Isn't it enough that Bocchi has made three friends? Why does she have to make her and herself suffer?

Aru was oddly fortunate in this episode. I expected her to show up in a horrible swimsuit or something but nope. She didn't get to sing her song though.
Old 2019-05-17, 19:14   Link #75
grecefar

I understand were kai is coming, I mean yeah it was necessary and it did make bocchi to have some friends, but even popular people or normal people don't make friends with all the class and that was really mean of her acting like bitch when they finally met each other, sure you want to stick with the promise but at least say something to her, a simply "do you best" would be enough.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-17, 22:22   Link #76
Wandering Soul

This all just goes back to my original point that Kai should have given a more manageable number than the entire class. She also didn't win herself a lot of likeability points with how she reacted to seeing Boochi again.
Old 2019-05-18, 05:47   Link #77
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 7:

Funny pool episode. Laughed when Nako saw Aru peeking at her swimming lessons. xD
Everyone is kawaii in swimming attire.

Unfortunately, the drama between Kai and Bocchi feels forced. Kai should have talked to Bocchi normally, instead of running off. The request to befriend the entire class is totally unreasonable, unless of course Kai has some serious mental issues herself. :/
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-18, 12:31   Link #78
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I get the feeling that Kai is more like Bocchi than initially apparent. When she met her this ep, she seemed to want to make up, but with what she'd said she seems to find it difficult to do so; she realizes how extreme she'd made things and she's terrified of what that may have done to their relationship, so she pushes her away. Sort of make me wonder exactly what is meant to be implied by naming her "soft". Is it really supposed to imply that she's warm and gentle and soft like a pillow, or is it to represent fragility or lack of strength or some other weakness?
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-18, 12:38   Link #79
Xeiros

If you want a better understanding of the story's premise, read the 5 chapter prequel webcomic.

This is one of both the main manga and the anime's biggest flaws. The anime should have adapted it in episode 1 because it is important and the longer you wait to explain it the worse it gets. The core of the premise is dependent on it.

I'll go ahead and explain it for anyone who doesn't care to take the few minutes it would take read it:
Spoiler for Bocchi Webcomic:
Old 2019-05-18, 17:02   Link #80
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeiros View Post
If you want a better understanding of the story's premise, read the 5 chapter prequel webcomic.

This is one of both the main manga and the anime's biggest flaws. The anime should have adapted it in episode 1 because it is important and the longer you wait to explain it the worse it gets. The core of the premise is dependent on it.

I'll go ahead and explain it for anyone who doesn't care to take the few minutes it would take read it:
Spoiler for Bocchi Webcomic:
That... actually explains a lot. Yeah, that really should have been included in the first episode.