AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-19, 00:59   Link #1041
durack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Garbage show masquerading as yuribait with a pitiful ending.

Junketsu no Maria was far better than this.
This is actually very very sad if you think about it. But true, of course.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-19, 12:26   Link #1042
Botan_TM

Well, I guess I don't have to say that this series was a bit disappointing.

However one part of final episode was great, because it was so funny.

When Sophie was tossing Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwinds in air, I was laughing. I mean, anti-craft gun being throw into air in order to shot somebody down, isn't it funny.

Not!germans: hey Sophie, you have those Flakpanzers to fight Izetta.
(Sophie throw them into air)
Not!germans: Hey, you are doing it wrong!!!

OK, now please Youjo Senki, do war well.
Old 2016-12-19, 16:05   Link #1043
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Right. He edges a lot. He tires hard to not be too happy or too sad. I think he focuses too much on that, and not enough on "What type of ending would fit this show the best?" Just to be clear, I've seen this in some of Yoshino's other post-Mai HiME anime endings.

Consistency is more important than happy vs. sad, per se. The issue with Mai HiME's ending is less with how happy it is than with how its ending is a complete tonal 180 from the entire 2nd half of the show.

Now, here with Shuumatsu no Izetta - It's a World War II-inspired story. Very high stakes, lots of high emotions, lots of intense and dramatic conflict. I think this calls for a strong definitive ending to put the final exclamation mark on it. Either of the two ending ideas I put out there would have done the job, in my view. So make a choice - Happy Triumphant or Bittersweet. Either way, go big.
Very much this. Because of his history now, I'm always wary of his endings as a result. I still watch the shows he does the scripting because you got to admit, the premise of the shows he works on tends to be quite interesting. It just he never freaking pull through to the ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boukenxha View Post
Still give credit to Fine's emotional proclamation in front of the world leaders though, Hayami Saori prove once again her outstanding voice work.
That much is true. When Hayami first showed up, I liked her voice but that was it. But as time goes by, she becomes better and better. Really enjoyed her voice as Shirayuki in Akagami no Shirayukihime as well as her voice in Leviathan.

In this episode, you can totally feel it when she made those declaration while crying. And also when she was actually crying after seeing the light pillar, it feels real. I'm now a fan and looking forward to more roles from her.

Anyway, lol, I added Fine to my favorite characters list on MAL. Even if the series had quite a lot of flaws, I'm quite fond of her as a character. And her being voiced by Hayami makes it even more so.

Despite the flaws, I still enjoyed it and will miss it now that it ended.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 14:08   Link #1044
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Izetta The Last Witch. Final Thoughts

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I reserved the chance to watch the last episode to Izetta on this day.

Although I do not wish to repeat from what I read in other blogs, I feel in terms of both storyline and character complexities Izetta lacked a much needed sense of sacrifice and compromise that surely would have helped the show tapped on its potential to the fullest.

The plot and characters moved because it required them from the script to do so rather than moving in order to break or shift away from audiences' expectations.

Nonetheless, I'm glad the last episode brought for the following topics:
1. The Atlanta's aversion towards magic was an understandably reaction witnessing how much the Germanians were able to harness the magic to integrate it into their technology in order to have the nations submit to them by sheer force and terror wreaked by magic.

The Atlanta's fear made me worried, since the symptoms over the anxiety to have two nations as keeper of witches forced them to begin distrusting Eylstadt and preparing for a potential retaliation as they begun to view them as enemies and a threat no different from the Germanians by using witches and magic.

At the end of this episode, what I feared and yet surely expected came to fruition. The United States of Atlanta was alluded to have gotten in their hands critical data so likely starting in an undisclosed future magical technology research and weapons courtesy of Berkman surviving his way until the end.

2. While Sophie's anger and hatred over Eylstadt's betrayal is understandable, nonetheless, her emotions over King Matthias shortsighted her on the bigger outlook. Continous dependence and reliance on the White Witch back in the Middle Ages of this world surely would have made Eysltadt a heretical pariah nation upon the eyes of Christendom Europe, incurring the Vatican's wrath eventually.

I assume that on his deathbed King Matthias understood full well the consequences for his country as a whole if Sophie were to kept and continued to be given free rein for Eylstadt's cause; a vicious and continous cycle of wars, invasions, and never-ending bloodshed that would've casted Eylstadt on a bad light and provoking instability and turmoil over Europe. I do not forget either enemy nations from both Europe and/or faraway places would have invaded the country in an attempt to secure Sophie and her powers, and, thus, she falling into evil hands.

Nevertheless, this did come to pass 500 years later when the Germanians secured her remains, and their cloning technology reaching a milestone in order to revive her of sorts along as taking samples from Izetta's blood.

Ultimately, Sophie failed to realize the suffering behind King Matthia's betrayal. He made a painful and difficult choice: Eylstadt or her. At the end, he chose Eylstadt over
her due to putting his people's lives and welfare over his own interests.

3. This brings up, finally, the third point on Izetta making the sacrifice to rid the world of magic once learning one-half of the truth from Sieg and the other half of the truth from Sophie herself about the White Witch.
Izetta, in my opinion, succeeded where Sophie failed because the former's love was not only focused and limited to Finé but to the whole of the nation of Eylstadt and its citizens as a whole.
Although I'm quite happy that Izetta survived and gets visited by Finé as the epilogue both suggested and implied she's now devoid of magic, I do not believe, however, the world has been drained of magic for good.

At the battle's climax it looked like Izetta absorbed all the magic from the ley lines spread across Europe, but only Europe is seen from an outside perspective running dry on magic. What about elsewhere in the word?
We did not see all the magic from all over the entire Earth getting absorbed by Izetta, but only that from Europe.
That only to me gives me evidence that maybe Izetta is not the last witch in the world, and that magic in that universe has not been completely eradicated.

Conclusions. I did not expect anything when I first picked-up Izetta about three months ago. The title caught my attention after reading the overview on the story being set in an alternate, historical Europe during WWII employing witches as its main premise.

The soundtrack is marvelous and fitting with the classical portrayal of magic and fairy tales, that I admit. But, as I wrote earlier in this post, the show needed a sense of sacrifice and compromise delivered by its characters and not moving out of plot convenience because the script required them to do so.

Still, I do not rule out the possibility on wanting more of Izetta for future releases. Perhaps, I would prefer a sequel set in 21st century Japan with the main character being another witch and learning how the US Atlanteans succeeded at perfecting their own witch technology.

This is the second title finished for the 2016 autumn season.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 15:01   Link #1045
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I res
2. While Sophie's anger and hatred over Eylstadt's betrayal is understandable, nonetheless, her emotions over King Matthias shortsighted her on the bigger outlook. Continous dependence and reliance on the White Witch back in the Middle Ages of this world surely would have made Eysltadt a heretical pariah nation upon the eyes of Christendom Europe, incurring the Vatican's wrath eventually.

I assume that on his deathbed King Matthias understood full well the consequences for his country as a whole if Sophie were to kept and continued to be given free rein for Eylstadt's cause; a vicious and continous cycle of wars, invasions, and never-ending bloodshed that would've casted Eylstadt on a bad light and provoking instability and turmoil over Europe. I do not forget either enemy nations from both Europe and/or faraway places would have invaded the country in an attempt to secure Sophie and her powers, and, thus, she falling into evil hands.

Nevertheless, this did come to pass 500 years later when the Germanians secured her remains, and their cloning technology reaching a milestone in order to revive her of sorts along as taking samples from Izetta's blood.

Ultimately, Sophie failed to realize the suffering behind King Matthia's betrayal. He made a painful and difficult choice: Eylstadt or her. At the end, he chose Eylstadt over
her due to putting his people's lives and welfare over his own interests..
That's really harsh on Sophie don't you think? She wasn't just betrayed, she was sold out to the inquisition where she was then tortured and put to death. Is she really supposed to realize the suffering of her King's decision whilst she's tortured and humiliated? It doesn't even make sense anyway. If the King was really trying to just do the best thing, why sell her out to the Inquisition and have her suffer so much? Just kill her there and then if you have to, and make it merciful. Why be so needlessly dickish?

And it's not even remotely comparable to Izetta's situation. Not only did Izetta consent to her kamikaze attack, she persuaded Fine to order it.

It also irked me how that dumb Nazi pilot shouted at Berkman as if he deserved it, when all Berkman did was have the audacity to fight against a psycho power hungry dictator that tried to kill him. This show's morals are really screwy.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-25, 16:15   Link #1046
Botan_TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It also irked me how that dumb Nazi pilot shouted at Berkman as if he deserved it, when all Berkman did was have the audacity to fight against a psycho power hungry dictator that tried to kill him.
Well, that makes a point if pilot had a knowledge, that emperor ordered to kill him (unlikely), and what regular soldiers opinion about emperor is, he may have good PR/propaganda.
Old 2016-12-25, 18:47   Link #1047
bakato

Quote:

Sophie was an idiot and Matthias was a coward. Say what you want about the big picture, but the simple facts are that Matthias accepted the aid of a girl who loved him and then betrayed her when she become a burden. If he was going to have her killed then he should've had the balls to make it a double suicide at the very least.
Old 2016-12-25, 19:50   Link #1048
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I reserved the chance to watch the last episode to Izetta on this day.

Although I do not wish to repeat from what I read in other blogs, I feel in terms of both storyline and character complexities Izetta lacked a much needed sense of sacrifice and compromise that surely would have helped the show tapped on its potential to the fullest.

The plot and characters moved because it required them from the script to do so rather than moving in order to break or shift away from audiences' expectations.

Nonetheless, I'm glad the last episode brought for the following topics:
1. The Atlanta's aversion towards magic was an understandably reaction witnessing how much the Germanians were able to harness the magic to integrate it into their technology in order to have the nations submit to them by sheer force and terror wreaked by magic.

The Atlanta's fear made me worried, since the symptoms over the anxiety to have two nations as keeper of witches forced them to begin distrusting Eylstadt and preparing for a potential retaliation as they begun to view them as enemies and a threat no different from the Germanians by using witches and magic.

At the end of this episode, what I feared and yet surely expected came to fruition. The United States of Atlanta was alluded to have gotten in their hands critical data so likely starting in an undisclosed future magical technology research and weapons courtesy of Berkman surviving his way until the end.

3. This brings up, finally, the third point on Izetta making the sacrifice to rid the world of magic once learning one-half of the truth from Sieg and the other half of the truth from Sophie herself about the White Witch.
Izetta, in my opinion, succeeded where Sophie failed because the former's love was not only focused and limited to Finé but to the whole of the nation of Eylstadt and its citizens as a whole.
Although I'm quite happy that Izetta survived and gets visited by Finé as the epilogue both suggested and implied she's now devoid of magic, I do not believe, however, the world has been drained of magic for good.

At the battle's climax it looked like Izetta absorbed all the magic from the ley lines spread across Europe, but only Europe is seen from an outside perspective running dry on magic. What about elsewhere in the word?
We did not see all the magic from all over the entire Earth getting absorbed by Izetta, but only that from Europe.
That only to me gives me evidence that maybe Izetta is not the last witch in the world, and that magic in that universe has not been completely eradicated.

Conclusions. I did not expect anything when I first picked-up Izetta about three months ago. The title caught my attention after reading the overview on the story being set in an alternate, historical Europe during WWII employing witches as its main premise.

The soundtrack is marvelous and fitting with the classical portrayal of magic and fairy tales, that I admit. But, as I wrote earlier in this post, the show needed a sense of sacrifice and compromise delivered by its characters and not moving out of plot convenience because the script required them to do so.

Still, I do not rule out the possibility on wanting more of Izetta for future releases. Perhaps, I would prefer a sequel set in 21st century Japan with the main character being another witch and learning how the US Atlanteans succeeded at perfecting their own witch technology.

This is the second title finished for the 2016 autumn season.

Izetta had it better than Sophie. Fine stood by her until the epilogue. She even gave Izetta a cottage to live in, a dog and a maid.

Sophie had it bad. She was a weapon and got discarded when she wasn't useful. Mathias could have let her go, not turn her into the Inquistion to be tortured, etc and then burned at the stake. He could have said "Sophie heard you were coming and left in a hurry. We couldn't stop her."
Old 2016-12-25, 20:24   Link #1049
Gravitas Free Zone

https://twitter.com/BUNBUN922/status/813000856324882433
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 08:19   Link #1050
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 12:
Well, seems that Izetta took all of the magic across the continent (including Sophie and the bomb) and explode it so that no magic technology will be used. Still, it doesn't stop Atlanta from making nuclear bombs (or even persecute Berckmann for his crimes).

Regardless, it was an okay ending and while Izetta and Ortfiné have reunited, it doesn't show the whole damn thing!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 09:44   Link #1051
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botan_TM View Post
Well, that makes a point if pilot had a knowledge, that emperor ordered to kill him (unlikely), and what regular soldiers opinion about emperor is, he may have good PR/propaganda.
Berkman told him that his promotion and reassignment were a quasi death sentence. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 11:07   Link #1052
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Maybe they can stage a double wedding with Cocona and Papika from Flip Flappers.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 14:00   Link #1053
Ernietheracefan

Is this just me or Izetta = Mika..?

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-26, 14:14   Link #1054
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

It also irked me how that dumb Nazi pilot shouted at Berkman as if he deserved it, when all Berkman did was have the audacity to fight against a psycho power hungry dictator that tried to kill him. This show's morals are really screwy.
Yeah, that's something that really bugged me. Everyone treats Berkman as if he is a terrible person for betraying his country, while complelty forgetting that Berkman betrayed them after the emperor tried to have him killed for no good reason.
Old 2016-12-27, 15:09   Link #1055
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's one of those things that didn't make sense in this series. I'm glad Berkman got to survive.
Old 2016-12-29, 14:47   Link #1056
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I bit the bullet and watched the last few episodes.

Damn, will I ever learn? This was one of the worse finales I've seen this year. All that crap Izetta said to Sophie was specially cringe-worthy.
The same thing happened to me. For me it was one of the worst endings of this year, even worse than Kabaneri Of The Iron Fortress. They could not follow to the end with the tone they even created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Garbage show masquerading as yuribait with a pitiful ending.

Junketsu no Maria was far better than this.
You summarized my thoughts very well, I feel the same way.

I can only say that the only plus for me are Berckman surviving, how can anyone sacrifice a life for someone like their Emperor. The other characters must be joking or be a joke themselves.

The monologue of the maid in the end is not wrong though, it left a tiny thing in our hearts, disappointment for those who watched the show, but it will be quickly forgotten.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-09, 14:22   Link #1057
Ghostfriendly

Idea for Germanians defeating Izetta without Sophie; the ley lines run between landmarks. Mountains, rivers and forays that the Germans could drain or blow up any of them. If they could make a magic detector, they could sure of getting one over Izetta by renmoving unexpected leylines.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 02:20   Link #1058
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so has it been pointed out that the Germanian emperor is a homosexual? that brunette guy is his lover?
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 03:30   Link #1059
Ghostfriendly

Pics, or it never happened.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-10, 15:46   Link #1060
Gravitas Free Zone

All we've got is the translation of Sophie's description of Eliot as a "manwhore."
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote