3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-02-13, 22:56   Link #301
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Crazy or not, i enjoyed watching Mikumo goes BAMF mode and punch out of the rubble. Not to mention drone tech have been around for awhile in the series and Macross F introduced ex-gear and transforming costume. Macross Delta is just incorporating all those tech into one single package. It's more like uchuu shoujo than mahou shoujo considering the context in this regard.

Give it a few more episodes and see how they justify it all, despite all the zany stuff... Kawamori generally tries to justify the space magic to a lesser degree. For all we know, the singers are all packing next gen EX-gear behind the holographic dresses (there is definitely some jetpack atleast).
Old 2016-02-13, 23:22   Link #302
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Crazy or not, i enjoyed watching Mikumo goes BAMF mode and punch out of the rubble. Not to mention drone tech have been around for awhile in the series and Macross F introduced ex-gear and transforming costume. Macross Delta is just incorporating all those tech into one single package. It's more like uchuu shoujo than mahou shoujo considering the context in this regard.

Give it a few more episodes and see how they justify it all, despite all the zany stuff... Kawamori generally tries to justify the space magic to a lesser degree. For all we know, the singers are all packing next gen EX-gear behind the holographic dresses (there is definitely some jetpack atleast).
Oh, don’t get me wrong, like in any good mecha show, Macross show will provide explanation for the mechanism and logistics behind its “magic” and all the weird stuffs most often than not. I just disagree to those who said that 7 is miles sillier than Delta when the latter is a fine example of a Macross show that bend over backwards to fit the “Idol + mahou shoujo-ish” genre which is really popular these days (thanks, Kawamori). At the very least, both shows are already equally silly. My take is like this: Macross 7 is “GAR-silly” while Delta is “cute-silly”. I enjoy both (as you can see in the score I gave this episode), but as a guy who prefer bands with strong male vocalists than a group of girl-idols, I tend to go toward the former than the latter. Heck, I'd choose divas like Celine Dion over group-idols like AKB48 .
Old 2016-02-14, 01:43   Link #303
Laevatein

Since I noticed some people comparing Delta to AKB0048, I've been watching that while I'm waiting for Delta to start, and I'm actually quite enjoying it (although it helps that I seem to have more of a tolerance for idol singers than many people).
Old 2016-02-14, 03:12   Link #304
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I just disagree to those who said that 7 is miles sillier than Delta when the latter is a fine example of a Macross show that bend over backwards to fit the “Idol + mahou shoujo-ish” genre which is really popular these days (thanks, Kawamori). At the very least, both shows are already equally silly. My take is like this: Macross 7 is “GAR-silly” while Delta is “cute-silly”. I enjoy both (as you can see in the score I gave this episode), but as a guy who prefer bands with strong male vocalists than a group of girl-idols, I tend to go toward the former than the latter. Heck, I'd choose divas like Celine Dion over group-idols like AKB48 .
Quite honestly, 7 is a bit sillier in terms of premise setting than what Delta have shown so far though the performance in battlefield is quite silly but then, Walkure is a military unit which is slightly less crazy than Basara running into battle as a civilian. From the whole concept of Spiritia, Protodeviln and Song Energy... 7 was really the oddball in the franchise. Frontier though did borrowed the Song Energy concept and contextualized it with the folding concept & vajra and seems like Delta is continuing to build on what 7 started.

As for the idol + mahou shoujo vibe, i think we need more episodes to decide especially with the triangle this time around revolves around Hayate, Freyja and much to my surprise, Mirage (was expecting Mikumo or harem ). The whole girl group thing might end being backdrop over the key pillars of traditional macross series (valkyrie, love triangle and music) depending how much screentime they are allocating towards the rest of the girls compare to the 3 key character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
Since I noticed some people comparing Delta to AKB0048, I've been watching that while I'm waiting for Delta to start, and I'm actually quite enjoying it (although it helps that I seem to have more of a tolerance for idol singers than many people).
It is written by Shoji Kawamori and Mari Okada afterall, so i can understand where you are coming from.
Old 2016-02-14, 07:48   Link #305
Velsy

Quote:
No way Jose.

They don’t fight on foot and undergo mahou-shoujo transformations, they don’t wear magical-girl costumes, they don’t strike poses and dancing around (with the valkyries) in front of their enemies, and the most important thing of it all, Macross 7 does not treat battless like a grand idol concert. As far as silliness go, Delta already beat 7 with only one episode, and I bet that's Kawamori's intention.
I guess this summons up my feelings better, since I couldn't quite express properly as to what I was trying to say/mean. Which usually isnt my strong point.

From the that Macross 7 clip I watched Barasa singing to a space whale? He really just had a guitar in his cockpit he could whip out and play ?. Thats alot different to that bizarre display from Delta who could freely dance on the battlefield, treating it as a concert. Because in the end of the day, hes still in his cockpit as a pilot. Even if hes singing his heart out. Side note --> Did he raelly have a recording studio installed inside their or what O_o

As for him eating a leaf ? thats hilarious, but its just something random. Thats more his character is just more wierd? I mostly find abnormal/wierd characters interesting. So that strikes me as a good thing.

But these are my opinions, and it seems like theres lots of people into Macross becoming a Mahou Shoujo theme and defending it quite heavily so. So whatever floats your boat. From my first impression, it seems like it may be painful to watch and take seriously, so I dont know how much I will really end up watching of this series. I liked other Macrosses, but this... I dont really know yet :s

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2016-02-14, 09:30   Link #306
Gravitas Free Zone

Basara has other traits that don't gif so well, such as the pacifism and the really quirky artist personality.

It keeps coming up but I'll mention it again: His introduction is to fly into a combat situation (where nobody wants him to be) just so he can sing at the enemy. He's not supposed to be there.

The Walkure girls are intended to be upfront, that's a lot ballsier than we've seen thus far, but it's their job. I was a little shocked by the idea myself at first, but after a few rewatches it's not entirely ridiculous. The episode itself provides enough background on how the system works and its pluses and minuses, and all of the technology has a basis in previous series.

The Mahou Shoujo aspect is in the mold of various anime trends, but I think it's important to remember that it's all an act. If the people showing Var Syndrome symptoms are like pre-2009 Zentradi, then the entire flashy act is like hitting them with Walking Doll Lynn Minmay again. It gets their attention for long enough to do whatever Song Energy/Fold Quartz sufficiently-advanced-technology is required to calm them down.

It would also make sense for the government/military/etc. to use the Walkure show as a way to direct civilians in the background—with a giant holographic show in the air, everyone will at least look up and maybe get evacuation directions. The other series have also shown this, but with billboards and not a flying concert.
Old 2016-02-14, 10:08   Link #307
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
Basara has other traits that don't gif so well, such as the pacifism and the really quirky artist personality.

It keeps coming up but I'll mention it again: His introduction is to fly into a combat situation (where nobody wants him to be) just so he can sing at the enemy. He's not supposed to be there.
His meddling in the battle is annoying the military indeed, but annoying trait of an artist alone doesn't make it any more ridiculous than Delta. It's just eccentricity.

Also, if you talk about benefits, thanks to Basara's meddling, the military actually has a chance to fight the mighty Protodeviln who can destroy planets by fighting them with anima-spiritia (song power) and got their brainwashed soldiers back. If not for Basara, the entire Macross 7 fleet would've been wiped out when Gepelnitch brought her fleet down on them during the first 1/3 of the show iirc. Basara's giant speaker-torpedo-thing and his singing right in Gepelnitch's face was the only one that prevented the total obliteration of the fleet.
Old 2016-02-14, 11:52   Link #308
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Basara's giant speaker-torpedo-thing and his singing right in Gepelnitch's face was the only one that prevented the total obliteration of the fleet.
A related question would thus be "Is this a sliding scale?" What began as a series that had a war stopped by the power of singing (but singing couldn't keep the peace afterward), then did TOP GUN IN SPAAAAAAACE, turned into a series where a guy, who starts off by controlling his space transforming airplane with his guitar, also has a special power to make ancient alien space vampires LISTEN TO HIS SONG because of his connection to the energies that are the foundation of the universe. More or less.

The subsequent prequel reinforces the Sufficiently-Advanced-Technology-Is-Indistinguishable-From-Magic idea by introducing rocks, submarines, and carrier battle groups that float when pure-hearted Polynesian girls sing to the Bird Human.

Frontier is positively normal by comparison, even though it adds an additional layer of explanatory weirdness with the Vajra gut microbes.

I can agree to disagree, but here I'm saying that the escalation of powers that has preceded Delta is, when looked at as a whole, no less ridiculous in first appearance, even if all of it has some sort of in-universe technological explanation.

And in the end, Basara and Fire Bomber became Sound Force anyway. In the grand scheme of things is there that much of a significant difference between flying around in a Variable Fighter and singing versus hitching rides in a Variable Fighter and then singing? Because Gundam fans probably think we're all insane.
Old 2016-02-14, 12:14   Link #309
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
A related question would thus be "Is this a sliding scale?" What began as a series that had a war stopped by the power of singing (but singing couldn't keep the peace afterward), then did TOP GUN IN SPAAAAAAACE, turned into a series where a guy, who starts off by controlling his space transforming airplane with his guitar, also has a special power to make ancient alien space vampires LISTEN TO HIS SONG because of his connection to the energies that are the foundation of the universe. More or less.

The subsequent prequel reinforces the Sufficiently-Advanced-Technology-Is-Indistinguishable-From-Magic idea by introducing rocks, submarines, and carrier battle groups that float when pure-hearted Polynesian girls sing to the Bird Human.

Frontier is positively normal by comparison, even though it adds an additional layer of explanatory weirdness with the Vajra gut microbes.

I can agree to disagree, but here I'm saying that the escalation of powers that has preceded Delta is, when looked at as a whole, no less ridiculous in first appearance, even if all of it has some sort of in-universe technological explanation.
I guess Kawamori is the one you should ask that question to, not me.

Quote:
And in the end, Basara and Fire Bomber became Sound Force anyway. In the grand scheme of things is there that much of a significant difference between flying around in a Variable Fighter and singing versus hitching rides in a Variable Fighter and then singing?
Both are equally silly in the first place. That's why I disagree to those who condemn 7 for being waaay crazier than Delta. Again, both are silly as hell.

Quote:
Because Gundam fans probably think we're all insane.
I'm a fan of both franchises, and yeah, for those who like Gundam only, I can see them thinking "WTF is this sh*t?!" when they witness Macross's obsession toward the power of song, singing, and idols that can defeat their enemies with it and all the shenanigans around it.
Old 2016-02-15, 06:46   Link #310
deadite

There's a huge difference though. Walkure actually act like professionals who take the the situation they are in very seriously. Even after that middle barrage they have a "show must go on" mentality.
Old 2016-02-15, 07:50   Link #311
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
There's a huge difference though. Walkure actually act like professionals who take the the situation they are in very seriously. Even after that middle barrage they have a "show must go on" mentality.
Well of course Walkure act professional coz they're part of the squad of the whatever military organization they're affiliated with. It'll be a huge disgrace if they're not professional in doing their job. Meanwhile, Basara and his band (Fire Bomber) don't act like professional soldiers coz they are freakin' civillians. They are artists who are professional in singing & playing music (even though Fire Bomber itself consist of good to insane pilots).

And speaking of "show must go on" mentality, Basara have that in spades to the point that people think he's insane . Basara always come or responding however he can whenever Protodeviln (and their puppets) are attacking. And he produces more results than the military itself until both are working together.
Old 2016-02-15, 10:47   Link #312
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
And speaking of "show must go on" mentality, Basara have that in spades to the point that people think he's insane . Basara always come or responding however he can whenever Protodeviln (and their puppets) are attacking. And he produces more results than the military itself until both are working together.
^ I actually have to agree. As irritating as he is, when it comes to pure dedication in the form of Rock & GAR, Basara has it down.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-02-15, 11:20   Link #313
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Jesus, I watched that FB7 special yesterday... And I thought my memories of just how over Macross 7 was were, maybe, a bit overdramatic. Well, well, they weren't.
It's even worse than I remembered.

The music is freakin' great, tho.

Closed Thread