Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-15, 22:52   Link #1
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

anime nearing the manga... how?

most anime series are created after the manga of that series is produced and has gained popularity. so my question is, how is it that an anime series can catch up to the manga so quickly? i mean not to mention all the fillers, but the fact that an anime episode takes so much longer to make than a manga chapter. i've always been curious about this, just wondering if anyone out there knows. because they're already at enies lobby in the anime!
Old 2006-05-15, 22:58   Link #2
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

Well, an episode can cover several chapters at once,and take only one shot to cover what could take half a chapter. But for specifics, I haven't a clue.
Old 2006-05-15, 23:17   Link #3
chucky
Always impatient

Usually 2 chapters = 1 anime episode.
That's a pretty good guess in most of the cases.
Old 2006-05-16, 00:39   Link #4
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
That is the case with a large number of anime, and some even seem to stick to a self-imposed rule of not covering the events of more or less than 2 chapters per week. There are some anime that manage a regular rate of three chapters per week though.

That being the case, it should hardly be a surprise that anime go through filler arcs. Say you start a new anime from a manga that runs to 100 chapters. by episode 50, you've reached chapter 100, but there have been only 50 new chapters produced by the mangaka. by episode 75, you have consumed those, and there are now 25 more chapters. by episode 87, you've reached chapter 174 and there are only 181 chapters published. It's not looking good.

In summary, if you were to start an anime based upon a 100-chapter ongoing manga, and you consume 2 chapters per anime episode, you'd have cought up with the mangaka by episode 100, unless he can write and draw more than one chapter per week.

I don't know off the top of my head just how many chapters there were when the One Piece anime first aired, but this happens to every anime that runs for long enough, if the manga is still in production. The only way to avoid it is to wait for the manga to be completed.
Old 2006-05-16, 00:51   Link #5
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato_D
most anime series are created after the manga of that series is produced and has gained popularity. so my question is, how is it that an anime series can catch up to the manga so quickly? i mean not to mention all the fillers, but the fact that an anime episode takes so much longer to make than a manga chapter. i've always been curious about this, just wondering if anyone out there knows. because they're already at enies lobby in the anime!
in addition to what has been said, you should also remember that how long it takes to make an episode of the anime doesn't actually matter... all that matters is how fast the epsiodes are released... It may take longer to make a single episode then it does to make 2 chapters, but the anime is still manage to release at a pace of 1 episode per week
Old 2006-05-16, 01:28   Link #6
Chuixupu
Shikachu

The manga also traditionally takes more breaks per week. This hasn't been the case of the recent episodes, but that's actually because they're trying to slow down purposely, I think.
Old 2006-05-16, 07:40   Link #7
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Just adding, One Piece anime is now something like 35 chapters behind the manga. That's roughly the same distance from almost 2 years ago, when Dave Back Fight started to be animated. So, don't worries: Toei is not Studio Pierrot and won't kill OP. And based on 264-266 titles, next few eps will be covering just 1 manga chapter each...
I guess we'll see a filler arc after this saga finally ends, that's almost certain..but i'm expecting something like G8, 10 eps long.
Old 2006-05-16, 14:00   Link #8
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

oh... interesting. forgot about the compacting of chapters in the episodes. that makes sense. but now that i think of it, they really shouldn't start an anime while the manga is still being made. they should finish one or the other.
Old 2006-05-16, 14:12   Link #9
striderm
Adusa #1

People have to make money. And some people really like to please fans.
Old 2006-05-17, 04:45   Link #10
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato_D
oh... interesting. forgot about the compacting of chapters in the episodes. that makes sense. but now that i think of it, they really shouldn't start an anime while the manga is still being made. they should finish one or the other.
When the manga is first launched, after there are enough chapters for people to have some idea how the series is shaping up, it will start to generate an insane amount of buzz. Positive word of mouth does most of that. Scanlations help to spread the word to the English speaking world. By the time the manga is completed, that buzz will be at a significantly lower level. It would be better if anime companies only worked with complete manga, but only better for the fans. For them it would suck.
Old 2006-05-17, 15:14   Link #11
yamato_D
Nazo no Tenshi

good point. it's never all about the fans.
Old 2006-05-18, 05:12   Link #12
sabret00the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty
Toei is not Studio Pierrot and won't kill OP.
:lol:

As for the original thread starter, we get really close all the time and then outta no where we'll have a three week break
Old 2006-05-19, 21:22   Link #13
GreenTeaFlame

The answer to this phenominon is simple, the creators of the series posses super speed h34r:
Old 2006-05-27, 00:22   Link #14
ninraven

The one piece anime has been running about 7 and a half years, and about 1 and a half years of it, there hasn't been an episode. They take a lot of breaks, like they are right now by going nearly every other week.

I think it would be a good idea to go every other week for at least a couple more months until they get within 13 episodes of finishing the arc. It's a rough guess since the arc hasn't ended in the manga, but I imagine it ending around 310-320 (episode number, not chapter number).

After the arc, I would expect at least a 13 episode filler season. The longest filler season was after alabasta, so it's not like there will be a year of filler like naruto.
Closed Thread