3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.33%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-06-27, 18:25   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

F/SN UBW TV - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works TV Series ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-29, 10:35   Link #2
HtwoN

Animation quality: 10/10. It's from Ufotable, so no question needs to be asked.

Voice actor: 10/10. These are the same voice actors doing their jobs again and again. Therefore, they have all what it takes to pull off a perfect performance.

Script: 9/10. Ok, here come some problems. The script hit on the most parts, but also missed occasionally. Sometimes I felt the story was lacking something. It's a long time since my last reading the VN.

Soundtrack: 9/10. I really liked the soundtrack. It usually fits the scenes, but it isn't so memorable.

Editing: n/a. I will wait for the BD for this.

Enjoyment: 10/10. I loved the series.

Average: 9.5/10. Nearly perfect, but not quite enough.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-29, 17:23   Link #3
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

It was fine. Took way too long to build, and the final battle, while epic, didn't live up to the hype, so kinda meh.
I liked Zero way more.

Still, pretty hyped for Heaven's Feel!

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 13:28   Link #4
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

I personally thought the adaptation was better than the source material. Excluding the lore, everything in the anime was superior and all the original content were brilliant additions to the series and I would've preferred if we had more of those.

On the production part, animation quality was superb, I don't think I've seen an anime more beautiful than this. As for the editing, it was a bit clunky here and there but I am optimistic that the BD will have it completely fixed. Sound design was badass as hell, sword fights, magic SFX, everything sounded really cool. Soundtrack was also fantastic, very fitting to FSN.

10/10.
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 13:42   Link #5
moodie

7/10 from me it seemed as if i was watching a prettier version of Mirai Nikki

Animation Quality: 9
BUT THE ART: 6 I hated the designs and sometimes things looked horribly off with them
Voice Actors: 8 nothing special
Script: 1 horrid and extremely boring. they had no idea how to transition into the next episode
Soundtrack: 9 ill admit i liked the ost and op and ed
Enjoyment: 7/10 for whats its worth its enjoyable but coming in with any hype will ruin it for u
Emotional Involvement: 1 i had to force myself to watch each episodes while it was still good i couldn't get myself to get hyped or press play
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 14:43   Link #6
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
7/10 from me it seemed as if i was watching a prettier version of Mirai Nikki
Comparison between Fate and Mirai Nikki makes me cringe, what did it make you feel this way other than the "battle royal" system?
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-30, 14:51   Link #7
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

10/10 for me, it made me order the second bd from ufotable store and Im waititng to find the first one with the bonus that I want. Eagerly waiting for Heavens feel.
Old 2015-06-30, 19:32   Link #8
Jaden

Art&Animation: 9. The animation is probably the highest quality that can be expected of a TV series. The choreography for some fight scenes was a bit lackluster, though. It often felt like I was just being dazzled with SFX, and not really impressed by how the characters were fighting. Also one questionable use of CGI. Many found the character designs weird, but I didn't really find any problems there.

Voice Actors: 8. The actors have done these same roles and lines like 2-4 times now for the various renditions of Fate/Stay Night. Everything was really refined, and there's some top-of-the-line talent there... but it's like they're getting a bit bored of it? I wanted a bit more emotion out of the main character especially.

Script: 10. I'm a big fan of the source material. It's a very entertaining and accessible blend of action and evocative fantasy, with interesting characters. I was satisfied with just how faithful the adaptation was, leaving out nothing of major importance - but the original tidbits that were added here and there were delightful every time as well.

Soundtrack: 8. The OPs and EDs were just okay. Nothing spectacular. Soundtrack is mostly ambient in nature - you don't really notice it, but you would notice its absence. The bits where some of the original music was mixed took my attention and worked really well. I would've liked to hear some more boldness like that from the soundtrack.

Editing: 7. Some weird transitioning going on in some episodes. The pacing is somewhat uneven. The show struggles to contain itself in 20 minute episodic chunks, but the double-length episodes really helped with that. As with F/0, there's clearly some content that was cut and left for the BDs, so undoubtedly that version will be better about this stuff.

Enjoyment: 10. Was super hyped for this and not let down in the slightest.
Old 2015-07-02, 19:46   Link #9
Shana

Although UBW is my favorite route of the three, I did not come into this adaptation with any expectations other than what's already expected of ufotable. I was willing to take whatever came because, honestly, it's an adaptation. Unless it just terribly sucked.

Spoiler alert: It didn't.

Animation-wise, it was a beautiful show. First cour battles were breathtaking, yet second cour's weren't so much. This could be because second cour consisted mainly of Shirou battles, with not as many shiny weapons and colors. I don't have any qualms about the voice acting, maybe because I've read (listened? ) the VN quite a few times already and nothing sounded out of place, which is good enough for me.

Script was fine most of the time, very refined, to the point of making even Shirou likable --- like I said, most of the time. Some episodes, I had to pause halfway through Shirou's "It may be his ideal, but that doesn't mean it's fake" and take a break because hearing it 278569 times in 20 minutes became very tiresome very fast.

I'm not an audiophile, and I like keeping my volume moderately low. I read the soundtrack was incomplete at the moment of broadcast, so what little there was of it I did not notice. Although I do remember a few times the soundtrack made the scene.

One of the things I am most impressed by were the load of double-length episodes, that helped really set the mood for the series. Ufotable played no games. The original content that was added felt like it was there all along, and not something alien and source material-ruining.

While most adaptations are barely a teaser of the source material, F/SN UBW became a teaser for the Fate universe itself. This show, while not perfect, while not omnipotent, was incredibly well done. I enjoyed it all the way through and felt all of the feels.

8.5/10
Old 2015-07-18, 17:31   Link #10
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
UBW is the best disappointment I've ever seen. Just a few years off the heels of F/Z, it had big shoes to fill and it unfortunately never grew enough to fit them. But don't take my disappointment the wrong way; UBW is a fantastic piece that is only held back by what it doesn't do instead of what it doesn't have. F/Z's major players had a little bit more going for them overall, and the only real edge UBW has is Rider being given the chance to show off her abilities more substantially than F/Z's Assassin. But UBW's biggest problem is playing it safe with its bombastic scenes. F/Z and UBW have their quieter moments, but F/Z is willing to make a scene feel much louder at the risk of giving itself an identity crisis, but succeeds in near flawlessly mending them together. UBW understandably doesn't change the 'loudness' a lot of battle scenes compared to the quieter moments, and it's better for creating something seamless. But between a 'risk' that works 9/10 times VS a 'safe bet' that works all the time, the 'risk' feels more worthy.

UBW isn't a bad show; just a little outclassed.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-18, 18:36   Link #11
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Disclaimer: Not contesting your opinion on things. But Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Nights don't exactly fall into the same category in terms of story telling. Zero was very action-y with an ensemble cast. Fate/Stay Night is about Shirou's interactions and relationships with friends and foes alike.

It's fine to be disappointed by the lack of action, but F/SN never attempted to "fill those shoes".
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-18, 18:40   Link #12
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

At least 70% of Fate/zero was attempting to rip off Fate/stay night anyway.
Old 2015-07-18, 18:42   Link #13
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think it was an attempt at describing how a "real" Grail War would have gone.
Old 2015-07-18, 18:47   Link #14
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

"Real" or not, many of the events of Fate/zero were modeled directly after events in Fate/stay night. Hell, Urobuchi would've made it even more obvious in the original script for Fate/zero, if Nasu hadn't informed him of particular restrictions with Servant abilities.
Old 2015-07-18, 19:37   Link #15
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Disclaimer: Not contesting your opinion on things. But Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Nights don't exactly fall into the same category in terms of story telling. Zero was very action-y with an ensemble cast. Fate/Stay Night is about Shirou's interactions and relationships with friends and foes alike.

It's fine to be disappointed by the lack of action, but F/SN never attempted to "fill those shoes".
Lack of bombast in the action, not the lack of action.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-18, 19:47   Link #16
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Alright sorry for the misunderstanding, but I stand by my argument.
Old 2015-07-18, 21:47   Link #17
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

F/sn is more "abstract" as compared to the more "down to earth" approach of F/Z. It seems a lot of people prefer the latter approach.

I for one prefer the F/sn:UBW anime more than the F/Z anime.

8.5/10 for the TV version of F/sn:UBW. Waiting for the BD version in October to give my final verdict.