AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-11-01, 08:19   Link #7581
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwennimmen View Post
Does anyone have any recs. for a good laptop?

I am starting college Spring 2015, and just want something sturdy, reliable, nice, light, etc.?
I would prefer it to have a web cam or some sort of recording option to record lectures :P lol
Two things, first you should probably go to the tech support sub forum and make a thread there, that's generally where the laptop/desktop threads are. Secondly, I have to disagree with the majority of people recommending machines based on brand; this is really not the best way to go about it if you have a limited budget, which I'm sure you do as an incoming freshman. I after making a thread in the tech support forum, make one on any popular gaming site ( I used to on gamespot but that website has been in decline ), and search popular websites like newegg for what's available, and what deals are good. Your priorities should be 1.) raw hardware numbers, i.e. processing speed, RAM, graphics etc. 2.) User reviews for the specific product you're buying, 3.) reviews on the specific parts of the product you're buying, 4.) brand, or rather the differences and advantages of different brands.

Finally, what on earth do you want to record lectures for, in undergrad at that?
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 23:22   Link #7582
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Can anyone tell me how should approach the Monogatari series? considering what is said and what is actually done on screen, it is somewhat easy to misinterpret the series. There also appears to be the wrong way to interpret the story. Is there a right to interpret this series?
Old 2014-11-03, 00:29   Link #7583
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Two things, first you should probably go to the tech support sub forum and make a thread there, that's generally where the laptop/desktop threads are. Secondly, I have to disagree with the majority of people recommending machines based on brand; this is really not the best way to go about it if you have a limited budget, which I'm sure you do as an incoming freshman. I after making a thread in the tech support forum, make one on any popular gaming site ( I used to on gamespot but that website has been in decline ), and search popular websites like newegg for what's available, and what deals are good. Your priorities should be 1.) raw hardware numbers, i.e. processing speed, RAM, graphics etc. 2.) User reviews for the specific product you're buying, 3.) reviews on the specific parts of the product you're buying, 4.) brand, or rather the differences and advantages of different brands.

Finally, what on earth do you want to record lectures for, in undergrad at that?
I def. have a limited budget, I don't want to spend 800+ dollars if I can avoid it but I was hoping to have something that would last four years ^^

What do you mean?? My brother and many of my friends who started college last year tell me that they record lectures instead of taking traditional notes in classes.
Dwennimmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-03, 00:34   Link #7584
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

Wow for some reason I didn't think to include the coding and programming I'd be doing for assignments, lol. And yes windows is needed.
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'm going to look up each one and compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
I can attest to Toshiba laptops not being too great, based on the experiences of a few high school friends (I can't say if they have improved or not though in recent years).
I can't say I'm too fond of HP laptops either, judging by the overheating problem another friend of mine had with his laptop...

Probably gonna need a bit more info before I can make a proper recommendation...
I'm going to assume you aren't going to use it for gaming or high-performance stuff for the time being (e.g. programming, video editing, video encoding, etc.), so perhaps a laptop in the ultrabook or 2-in-1 (tablet & laptop) categories might best suit yourself if you need something that's light and easy to carry. You'll probably need something with good battery life as well (you'll probably won't be able to plug it in during lectures).

Assuming you need Windows, I think your best bet would be the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet. It's light at 1.76 lbs (0.79 kg), 2.41 lbs (1.09 kg) with the Type Cover and definitely has good build quality. You'll be doing a lot of typing, so you'll really need the Type Cover, which unfortunately is a accessory to be bought seperately. The other big downside is that it doesn't have alot of ports, and this'll be a problem if you're doing a presentation and need to connect to a projector, since it only has a Mini DisplayPort (most projectors use VGA or HDMI, I think), so you might need an adapter as well. Nonetheless, it's still a very good piece of gear, and you should be able to score a 10% education discount as well.

It might be worth having a look at the other Signature Edition PCs that the Microsoft Store sells as well, particularly if you've had bad experiences dealing with the crapware that PC manufacturers tend to load onto your new machine.

There's also the Clevo-based laptops, like the Sager branded ones. They aren't the best in terms of looks (and I don't think they're the lightest, either), but they're generally really good value in terms of a price to computing power ratio. They're generally only purchasable online, but you get build-to-order options, meaning increased flexibility in picking what components go in your machine. The NP2740 (aka Clevo W740SU) might be a good option.

For the record, I'm typing this from a recently purchased MacBook Air 11" (I also own a custom built Windows desktop, and two other Windows laptops). It's also quite light (and you have the ability to put Windows on it), but shares the Surface's disadvantage of a lack of ports (particularly the Mini DisplayPort).
Old 2014-11-03, 04:10   Link #7585
Dextro
He Without a Title

If you're on a budget I recommend you look into the lenovo ideapad line. The surface is a nice machine but it blows your 800 dollars budget out of the water
Old 2014-11-03, 13:32   Link #7586
oompa loompa

Quote:
I def. have a limited budget, I don't want to spend 800+ dollars if I can avoid it but I was hoping to have something that would last four years ^^

What do you mean?? My brother and many of my friends who started college last year tell me that they record lectures instead of taking traditional notes in classes.
Well, I said that for a couple of reasons, the first is that I studied comp sci as well in college, (graduated 2012, from the states), and never really saw anyone recording lectures. I'm now doing my masters in a different subject, but I still haven't seen it. Apart from that, my brother is doing his PhD in electrical engineering (he's done a lot of his post-grad work in zurich, so that I know its a cross-country trend) , and he doesn't do it/ seen other people do it. Having said that, I have watched recorded lectures, and they are pretty useful, but never for the classes I took.

This isn't a discussion we can really get into here but, as far as my reasoning goes; if you go to the lecture, writing down what the professor says while the class is going on helps me remember better, and have a good idea of whether I'm understanding something or not. I'm not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with writing things down, along with hearing them spoken, and reading them from slides.

Apart from that when it comes to revision time, recorded lectures are extremely time-intensive for studying vs. reading them from notes IMHO. When the time comes (it may or may not depending on how regular you are, how smart you are, and what classes you take) to cram for an exam all night, notes are generally way faster. To put this in perspective, I covered the syllabus for a class in game theory within 15-20 hours; I had recorded lectures covering the same syllabus (the book was the same) from a different university which would have taken 20 hours to watch alone, without any revision. I have however used recorded videos when I'm stuck banging my head on, say, a mathematical proof, and a video spells it out step by step. Basically, (personally), video lectures are an extra resource which can be useful but which I don't need, whereas my notes are the bread and butter of my study material

In any case, it's not something I've seen, but if it works for you and helps you study better, go for it. At the same time I would say that don't knock traditional note taking, its generally a pretty solid way to go about things
Old 2014-11-04, 01:00   Link #7587
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
If you feel that you should take notes, you can use this one (a smartpen)

How do I best protect something that's not stainless/made of iron?
Old 2014-11-04, 04:47   Link #7588
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
If you feel that you should take notes, you can use this one (a smartpen)

How do I best protect something that's not stainless/made of iron?
Well, the basics that we've all done in middle school chemistry is to put it in an air-tight container, as you obviously need air and moisture. However, that is rarely enough; You should probably put some sort of moisture controlling dessicant.. err like a silica gel pack in it as well (that's how we used to store musical instruments). That's all the experience I have with it, and I didn't really have any problems.

However, if you want to be a bit more thorough there are a lot of companies that will give you a spray, or a gel or some sort to cover your item that will last a while
Old 2014-11-04, 18:04   Link #7589
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Well, the basics that we've all done in middle school chemistry is to put it in an air-tight container, as you obviously need air and moisture. However, that is rarely enough; You should probably put some sort of moisture controlling dessicant.. err like a silica gel pack in it as well (that's how we used to store musical instruments). That's all the experience I have with it, and I didn't really have any problems.

However, if you want to be a bit more thorough there are a lot of companies that will give you a spray, or a gel or some sort to cover your item that will last a while
I was thinking of using the stainless steel spray rust protection spray.... but I'm not sure if the color will change or not (the color of iron and stainless steel looks the same anyway)
Old 2014-11-04, 18:15   Link #7590
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I was thinking of using the stainless steel spray rust protection spray.... but I'm not sure if the color will change or not (the color of iron and stainless steel looks the same anyway)
I'm pretty sure all such sprays will advertise that they're transparent, but, I suppose you'll have to find a good company and try it out, I've never used it. I'm sure there are also reviews for the product online as well, and you could probably ask whoever/wherever you're buying it from
Old 2014-11-04, 18:28   Link #7591
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
I'm pretty sure all such sprays will advertise that they're transparent, but, I suppose you'll have to find a good company and try it out, I've never used it. I'm sure there are also reviews for the product online as well, and you could probably ask whoever/wherever you're buying it from
Still have yet to be delicate with painting. When I painted my bow, I just dumped a gallon of paint over it... maybe the same thing will happen to the III....

And besides, I'll be using it for a while.

Last edited by bhl88; 2014-11-04 at 20:01.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-05, 13:13   Link #7592
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Does anyone the name of this song and the artist who sang it from Epic Meal Time?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-11-05, 13:28   Link #7593
Dwennimmen
(^-^)?

Hm well I would never opt out of traditional note taking. I just assumed that recording lectures was a new method of note taking since I know so many people who do so - but I actually don't know anyone else who is or will be studying computer science.

This is random, but as far as mathematics go what type of math do you believe is most important in Computer Science? Math is my strongest area and I have a general idea from looking up this question but I'd just like to know what you think.

Also what do you do for work with your degree? (if you don't mind me asking)

Quote:
Well, I said that for a couple of reasons, the first is that I studied comp sci as well in college, (graduated 2012, from the states), and never really saw anyone recording lectures. I'm now doing my masters in a different subject, but I still haven't seen it. Apart from that, my brother is doing his PhD in electrical engineering (he's done a lot of his post-grad work in zurich, so that I know its a cross-country trend) , and he doesn't do it/ seen other people do it. Having said that, I have watched recorded lectures, and they are pretty useful, but never for the classes I took.

This isn't a discussion we can really get into here but, as far as my reasoning goes; if you go to the lecture, writing down what the professor says while the class is going on helps me remember better, and have a good idea of whether I'm understanding something or not. I'm not sure why, but maybe it has something to do with writing things down, along with hearing them spoken, and reading them from slides.

Apart from that when it comes to revision time, recorded lectures are extremely time-intensive for studying vs. reading them from notes IMHO. When the time comes (it may or may not depending on how regular you are, how smart you are, and what classes you take) to cram for an exam all night, notes are generally way faster. To put this in perspective, I covered the syllabus for a class in game theory within 15-20 hours; I had recorded lectures covering the same syllabus (the book was the same) from a different university which would have taken 20 hours to watch alone, without any revision. I have however used recorded videos when I'm stuck banging my head on, say, a mathematical proof, and a video spells it out step by step. Basically, (personally), video lectures are an extra resource which can be useful but which I don't need, whereas my notes are the bread and butter of my study material

In any case, it's not something I've seen, but if it works for you and helps you study better, go for it. At the same time I would say that don't knock traditional note taking, its generally a pretty solid way to go about things
Old 2014-11-05, 14:23   Link #7594
oompa loompa

Quote:
Hm well I would never opt out of traditional note taking. I just assumed that recording lectures was a new method of note taking since I know so many people who do so - but I actually don't know anyone else who is or will be studying computer science.

This is random, but as far as mathematics go what type of math do you believe is most important in Computer Science? Math is my strongest area and I have a general idea from looking up this question but I'd just like to know what you think.

Hmm... well, the truth is, I started computer science in high school where we had compulsory math until we graduated, and I can't really say that math really helped me with computer science, though maybe it does help you think in a certain way (even that I'm not sure of.. there is some overlap between the skills you need for math and computer science but it's not the same thing). It's not something you should worry about because there is no doubt you'll have quite a few compulsory math courses for your computer science degree, not to mention learning a bit of math in most of your classes. On top of that I stopped doing computer science after undergrad, so my knowledge is pretty limited on how math actually helps you with comp sci. There were a few classes that were a bit math intensive, like algorithm design or theory of computation (though the math I had learned didn't help in the latter at all)

There are people on this board who have a lot more experience with comp sci than I do, so I'll let them answer that question

Having said that, I can definitely say that computer science helped me out with math quite a bit. Apart from subtle things like the way you think, in a lot of the more advanced courses, there's a good deal of computer work, I had to learn mathematica and a bit of matlab, and in my masters right now I do a lot of work on python and R; Learning those languages is a breeze if you're familiar with say, C++ or Java.

Finally, I'm not working right now, I'm doing my masters in economics, after which I will no doubt have a boring job in a bank or consulting company, if I'm lucky in a good think tank type organization.. that is if I get a job at all.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2014-11-05 at 14:42.
Old 2014-11-08, 13:49   Link #7595
monster

Most users ever online was 2,558, 2010-10-02 at 18:23.

Does anybody remember what was happening at the forum around that time?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 18:24   Link #7596
oompa loompa

It's possible that this belongs in the medical thread, but I'll ask it here anyways because I'm more interested in the methods, and sorry for the scatalogical question:

Coffee makes people poop a lot (and poop.. badly), at least it does for me. Does this happen to you, and if it does is there anything you do to make it not happen? While we're on the topic, what do you guys do to stay up late studying/work? It doesn't even need to be late, what do you guys do when you need to put a serious shift of work in apart from girding the proverbial loins? Adderall or speed is not an option (unfortunately )
Old 2014-11-08, 23:56   Link #7597
BPD Renegade

Quote:

I've only ever known one person to record lectures, and that was for a history course. In CS courses, the prof. will usually lecture off slides that will be posted on your course website. Also, be sure to ask for permission before recording anything. Some people don't like it. Personally, I would never let my students use webcam in my class and voice recorder only in extreme circumstances.

For math classes, you should take a look at the requisites listed at your departmental website. It'll also be a good idea to talk to a professor/TA once you get started, as they will steer you in the right direction. Some popular choices I've seen CS students take have been classes like Discrete Math, Combinatorics, Cryptography, Algorithms, etc., but math departments with less money might not offer these courses.

As an end note, I'm not sure what math classes you have taken, but college level mathematics is a lot more difficult and involved than grade-school level math. Many students who get 4's and 5's on their Calc AB/BC exams end up failing college calculus when they retake it because they get cocky, so I wouldn't take 'being good at math' for granted.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-03, 21:45   Link #7598
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Some basic questions about statistics and standard deviation if anyone know it....

Like for example study from a 20 samples (please don't mind the sample size) found that, for example an average American play 3+/-2 hours of gaming a day.

But if we want to find out how much hours the whole US (let say 300 millions in population) spent in gaming per year (let say 300 days for easy calculation). Of course the statistics won't be 270+/-180 billions hours per year. Because firstly the standard deviation will be too large for the study to be much meaningful. And secondly, we expect that if you add that many samples together, the standard deviation should cancel each other out, and we will get closer to the 270 billions hour rather than the large range 90-450 hours billions hour like the standard deviation implied...

So my question is: is there a name or a rule in statistics, pointing out that if you want to use a smaller sample to predict a much larger one, it's better to not take the standard deviation into account (whether it just involves average, or another method). Because it's misleading and useless if you do?

Also what is the differences between, let say pick a study sample and monitor for a much longer time (for example pick 5 random person, then see how much games they play every day for a month), in comparison with picking 150 people, and ask how many hours of games they were playing today. I know the first is skewed if you don't pick a correct study candidates (that can present the whole population). While the later data is skewed if you pick the wrong time and location (when Call of Duty, or Dragon Age just released for example, or during weekend, which show a much higher average gaming time). But is there a more academic answer to show the difference between the two?

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2014-12-03 at 22:00.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 09:04   Link #7599
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Some basic questions about statistics and standard deviation if anyone know it....

Like for example study from a 20 samples (please don't mind the sample size) found that, for example an average American play 3+/-2 hours of gaming a day.

But if we want to find out how much hours the whole US (let say 300 millions in population) spent in gaming per year (let say 300 days for easy calculation). Of course the statistics won't be 270+/-180 billions hours per year. Because firstly the standard deviation will be too large for the study to be much meaningful. And secondly, we expect that if you add that many samples together, the standard deviation should cancel each other out, and we will get closer to the 270 billions hour rather than the large range 90-450 hours billions hour like the standard deviation implied...
Population size doesn't change the standard deviation, nor does it apply when you're looking at the Sum of the population like this really.

Quote:
So my question is: is there a name or a rule in statistics, pointing out that if you want to use a smaller sample to predict a much larger one, it's better to not take the standard deviation into account (whether it just involves average, or another method). Because it's misleading and useless if you do?
I believe what you're for looking is Margin of Error; which is based off population size vs sample size. Or Confidence interval since something with a poor one simply won't work to be scaled.

Quote:
Also what is the differences between, let say pick a study sample and monitor for a much longer time (for example pick 5 random person, then see how much games they play every day for a month), in comparison with picking 150 people, and ask how many hours of games they were playing today. I know the first is skewed if you don't pick a correct study candidates (that can present the whole population). While the later data is skewed if you pick the wrong time and location (when Call of Duty, or Dragon Age just released for example, or during weekend, which show a much higher average gaming time). But is there a more academic answer to show the difference between the two?
Should also follow under 2 above things as well I believe.

I hope this helps some.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-06, 11:22   Link #7600
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Population size doesn't change the standard deviation, nor does it apply when you're looking at the Sum of the population like this really.

I believe what you're for looking is Margin of Error; which is based off population size vs sample size. Or Confidence interval since something with a poor one simply won't work to be scaled.

Should also follow under 2 above things as well I believe.

I hope this helps some.
1.) the population wont change the standard deviation because there is only one population with 1 standard deviation. the size of your sample will probably change your standard deviation, for obvious reasons.

2.) both confidence intervals and margin of error depend a lot on sample size, and will not make your SD any more or less important. they are tools for describing how likely your results are true, not how your distribution looks. Also the margin of error is a 95% confidence interval, so they are affected by exactly the same things and convey the same information. I can't see how scaling has anything to do with this either. Finally there is no such thing as a 'poor confidence interval'

@ Risingstar : Sorry to say this, but small sample size generally means bad results. As for your question, why don't you aggregate over each of your 20 samples and compare them with each other, instead of trying to use your estimate of one person to estimate 300 million. you probably won't get a good result with only 20 data points though.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2014-12-06 at 13:54.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious