AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-11-18, 04:47   Link #1
T-6000

Anyone here familiar with a Manga called "Pure Trance"?

Anyone heard of this.....bizarre Manga Series called "Pure Trance?" I did a forum search to see if anyone started a topic on this Manga, but so far I'm the only one that has mentioned this series. In fact, I've very rarely heard Manga fans discuss it online and I only saw a glimpse of the series in a Manga & Anime documentary I saw on YouTube (I think it was called "Japanoram"). They showed a few pages and had a brief interview with the Manga creator, in which she said that her fans have stated that her works have always been "Cute and Disturbing". So I decided to check this series out online, and.....well......Junko Mizuno's fans (The woman who created this bizarre manga) were right, it's cute and disturbing. And that's the best I can describe it. And as strange as I am going to sound.......I actually liked this work. Unfortunately it's only 9 chapters long (some of the chapters are pretty big, especially the last chapter), I would have like the series to stretch out into 2-3 volumes. Hell, I'd like to see a sequel to this work, but I think I'll have a better chance seeing Gears of War 2 and 3 on the PC. In other words, it's a snowball's chance in hell.

"What is this series about", you ask? Well, the story takes place in the aftermath of World War 3, in one of many underground cities surrounded by a dome. The one Pure Trance takes place is an underground Tokyo. The Surface world is declared "Inhospitable" to sustain life, and thus it is presumed that if anyone goes to the surface (which is declared "Illegal"), they'll die. Those few that have, never returned. In this underground dome city, the main source of "food" (if you can call it that) are pills called "Pure Trance". Unfortunately this "Pure Trance" is highly addictive and cause many women to continuously eat them at unhealthy rates, usually at a point where they vomit the pills but continue to eat them in massive amounts. There are various "Overeaters Treatment Centers" that help these people overcome their addictions. The Manga takes place in one of these centers, " Overeaters Treatment Center" where various nurses work to help these patients. Between the less than sanitary conditions of the center, an abusive & drug addicted Director of the center, and the surprisingly high death rate of the patients (no thanks in small part to the Director's drug addiction), the nurses undergo alot of daily stress. Especially for Kaori Suzuki, one of the nurses who works at the center and serves as the main character for a good portion of the Manga. I'd tell more, but I'd hate to spoil it.

The style and theme of this Manga is...well....rather hard to describe. For me, it's as if you tok Astro Boy & Hello Kitty, and cram them forcefully together with the Heavy Metal series (The Magazines and both Animated Movies). Well.....Junko Mizuno said that she drew inspiration from Akira, but I'm getting more of a Heavy Metal Vibe. And because of this strange style, I think you'll either love it or hate it and so it'll be a hit or miss for many. For those that aren't familiar with Pure Trance, I'd encourage you to try a few chapters online and buy the Manga if you like it. I plan on getting the manga as soon as I can online. And for those that have read it, what are your thoughts?

****UPDATE****

Well I feel like an idiot. It looks like the English publication is discontinued, as I couldn't find any new copies online. They are selling for a high price on Ebay, too. That's a damn shame.
Closed Thread