AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-31, 02:18   Link #261
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Everyone is doing DLC now... what's your point? The existence of DLC itself has nothing to do with how the game plays, even if it gives you new toys to play with.
No, not everyone is doing DLC (unless all you play are Capcom games).

And I believe there is something inherently wrong when you need to pay even more to complete the experience for a game you already paid for. It's even worse than "free to play" cash shop dependant MMOs.

Quote:
Er, what? The areas they've shown us so far are pretty open, especially compared to the previous two XIII games. It looks like you have a lot of freedom in regards to what order you do things and how as well, which is the actual measure of freedom in a video game, not necessarily area design.
I'm not exactly sure how comparing to two low standards exactly proves that this game is well designed in that area.

I'm also not sure how tracking Snow down one single path to trigger scripted scenes along the way shows "freedom in regards to what order you do things". Show me the gameplay where Lightning actually does do things and explore outside of the forced story.

Quote:
...This is a spinoff, and one easily comparable to, say, Crisis Core. What does this have to do with anything? Nothing you've said convinces me that they're focused on making a "Lightning fanservice game" above all else.
1) It's not a very good Final Fantasy game.

2) Nothing shown so far proves that this game is any less linear so far. It is less AI-controlled, however.

3) Since you want to pull the "it's a spinoff, so lack exploration and party playing experience don't count as problems" argument, I'll go with your comparison to Crisis Core.

Crisis Core had customizable movesets and a large number of sidequests to prevent the game from being too linear, despite it being "instance-based" with no overworld.
In comparison, Lightning's skills are limited to Dresspheres Schemata, many of which are DLC-only. The gameplay shown so far has also been fairly limear.

Quote:
Listen. The stories in video games are usually bad, so why complain when one has a bad story?
Hell, the FFXIII sub-series is notorious for having ridiculous and lackluster stories. Why is this a surprise? Why is this a deal-breaker to you?
Do you really think story is the only thing lacking so far? Stop thinking in terms of a simple dichotomy. There is more to a game than just either the narrative or what directly happens when you press buttons.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 02:33   Link #262
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
And I believe there is something inherently wrong when you need to pay even more to complete the experience for a game you already paid for. It's even worse than "free to play" cash shop dependant MMOs.
What? There's going to be a ton of costumes in the game already, I highly doubt the experience has been gutted simply for the purposes of selling DLC.
Quote:
I'm also not sure how tracking Snow down one single path to trigger scripted scenes along the way shows "freedom in regards to what order you do things".
That's... one dungeon. Have you seen some of the other gameplay videos?
Quote:
Show me the gameplay where Lightning actually does do things and explore outside of the forced story.
I don't have to. Go read some interviews about the game, see what they've said.
Furthermore, the whole game runs on a clock and is designed to support multiple playthroughs in a manner similar to Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, apparently, which alone suggests a lot of replayability.
Quote:
Crisis Core had customizable movesets and a large number of sidequests to prevent the game from being too linear, despite it being "instance-based" with no overworld.
In comparison, Lightning's skills are limited to Dresspheres Schemata, many of which are DLC-only. The gameplay shown so far has also been fairly limear.
I believe you can customize the skillsets on the Dresspheres, and, as above, there's no indication that the game won't be non-linear. In fact, the things they've said so far in regards to game structure, the fact that you have a limited amount of time, the ability to visit shops and restaurants, the freedom to move between the four areas, etc suggest that it will be.
Quote:
It's not a very good Final Fantasy game.
Nomura's definition aside (which is entirely his opinion), do you really think that being different equates to being a "bad Final Fantasy game"?
Quote:
Do you really think story is the only thing lacking so far?
No, of course not. I can't say I'm completely satisfied with what I've seen, but since you were harping on the story, something that was guaranteed to be bad to begin with...
Why does a gaming company need to focus on narrative at all outside of using it as an excuse to justify gameplay?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 04:05   Link #263
sayde

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure how comparing to two low standards exactly proves that this game is well designed in that area.
This entire game is being made with the "open world" concept as one it's focal points. In other words, there's a lot they seem to be trying to design around this. From the sidequest, to the size of the fields and accessibility (which they've claimed will be larger than any previous final fantasy), right down to the battle system itself. Since LR is supposedly going to be the type of game to grant you access to a multitude of different areas right from the beginning of game, you'll also have access to battles with high level monsters from the beginning of the game. And for better or for worse, the gameplay mechanics surrounding the battle system are shaping out to be designed to give you a fighting chance against high level monsters early on (even though it's not supposed to be easy by any means).

Quote:
I'm also not sure how tracking Snow down one single path to trigger scripted scenes along the way shows "freedom in regards to what order you do things". Show me the gameplay where Lightning actually does do things and explore outside of the forced story.
Will there be main story progressive segments and quests that play out in a linear fashion once you activate them? I'm not doubting that. But a lot of open world games have their story related missions and segments play out in linear locations (inside buildings, dungeons, etc). So you can't judge the entirety of the games exploratory elements alone from demo footage of Lightning chasing Snow.

Anyways, I'm not gonna try to debate any of the other issues, but I'll defend the developers *attempts* to make LR one of--if not--the least linear FF game ever.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 11:39   Link #264
shadow1296

Okay you're going on and on about what square has shown and honestly for them this is pretty generous for them to begin with there are like nintendo they don't like to reveal to many aspects of their games, and so what if they changed lightnings character design to appeal more to the fans i barely noticed the design change, so what if it has dlc almost every company does this for their it may not be the big expansions like skyrim has, a few dlc, a couple of weapons, even costumes are the usual dlc options and most of the time they are pre order incentives, linear np it is not in fangs reveal demo we saw a dessert that we will probably get a chance to explore later,

not a very good final fantasy game i will play it first before i make that call because for me the worst FF game is 12 with gameplay which is boring as crap, going back and forth to one area to multiple times, and the fact that it has the nerve as a single player game to force you to grind as if it were an MMO and punish you if you're not killing the same enemy over and over again is unforgivable

Last edited by shadow1296; 2013-08-31 at 12:26.
shadow1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 11:31   Link #265
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Why does a gaming company need to focus on narrative at all outside of using it as an excuse to justify gameplay?
Because that's one of Final Fantasy's (and JRPGs's in general) selling points, duh!

That a lot of games have bad stories is not an excuse.
Old 2013-10-14, 18:17   Link #266
killer3000ad

Quote:
Game Design Director, Yuji Abe, walks us through the Wildlands, a vast region filled with many dangerous monsters and epic landscapes. Highlights include shops, battles, controller game mechanics and a look into the deep customization menu.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-10-31, 18:39   Link #267
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
The developers are just keeping Vanille around so she can cosplay whatever exotic Middle Eastern* clothing they think looks cool, aren't they?

http://www.destructoid.com/post_gall...oto_key=274235

I like her original design but wtf is she doin' in Lightning Returns?

* inb4 actually Hagoshod her base outfit is African.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 18:49   Link #268
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

All the characters are back in some form or another... Snow seems to be the only character with a full redesign, the rest have their original outfits for some reason. I guess it's because Snow is evil now?
Either way, the story will be dumb but FFXIII actually looks fun to play for once, so I'll take whatever I can get.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-31, 19:17   Link #269
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Yeah, I get why she's physically there.

But what's with the hat?
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-01, 07:15   Link #270
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
All the characters are back in some form or another... Snow seems to be the only character with a full redesign, the rest have their original outfits for some reason. I guess it's because Snow is evil now?
Either way, the story will be dumb but FFXIII actually looks fun to play for once, so I'll take whatever I can get.
Nah snow is the the good guy, Lightning is the cliche true bad guy's pawn. Snow only looks evil because he's going up against the true bad guy that looks like the good guy.

It's gonna be one of those "that god is actually evil" stories.
Old 2013-11-01, 14:37   Link #271
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagoshod View Post
Yeah, I get why she's physically there.

But what's with the hat?
To give the people who dislike her more ammunition ? I don't know, really a bad looking hat.
Old 2013-11-06, 15:03   Link #272
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Final boss spoiled
Spoiler for spoiler!:
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 17:05   Link #273
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Final boss spoiled
Spoiler for spoiler!:
uhhhhhh.... Seymour?

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 17:44   Link #274
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

WTF? They spoil the final boss in their review?

Spoiler for Final boss:
Old 2013-11-06, 17:57   Link #275
Vajra
So Like A Rose

Why would they spoil the end boss like that??
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-06, 18:16   Link #276
shadow1296

simple its not the end boss its probably some mid boss or something along that line, that or it onel of those final bosses that completely comes out of nowhere and has little to no relevance to the rest of the game
Old 2013-11-07, 00:56   Link #277
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

None of the text in the scan stated Buni is the last boss.
And knowing the only god who is more stupid then Buni is Etro, I am not expecting him to be very competent either.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 15:26   Link #278
AkitoW013

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
None of the text in the scan stated Buni is the last boss.
And knowing the only god who is more stupid then Buni is Etro, I am not expecting him to be very competent either.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
AkitoW013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 20:18   Link #279
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
that or it onel of those final bosses that completely comes out of nowhere and has little to no relevance to the rest of the game
I don't really think it comes out of nowhere considering LR story seems to be connected with the gods more than XIII-2. If Etro is dead, then the only remaining gods who have that much power would be either pulse or that thing.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 22:08   Link #280
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkitoW013 View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Or that creature in Chaos, who Buni is having a problem with.
I envision Buni making a fool out of himself Etro style in his effort to fix the world and end up the same way his mother did.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote