AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-14, 00:01   Link #581
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Also, I have to admit that that's a pretty damn good bargaining chip considering he just wiped out that entire pirate fleet plus its personnel like cookies in a kindergarten.
With insane accuracy at that That could actually work against him, though, since now everyone is most likely scared out of their wits because of that spectacle. Best and worst publicity at the same time. Also, this are people who don't seem to have much in the way of computers, so of course AI is going to surprise them. Besides, they don't seem to have the need to have their submarines and loaders talk, so it's not precisely a topic of interest.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 01:38   Link #582
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbage View Post
I think the more important question here is how one determines who the "enemy" is. Honestly to the common everyday people of our world Criminals hardly equates to Enemy. Most don't even care and hardly gives it a thought, until one is personally involved. then most often than not wouldn't even care much about the law, except that it is forced on them.
As you have seen in many posts suggested "better" method. It's clear that many of us, anime viewers from a peaceful developed country, equate those pirates as criminal and demand Redo to treat them as such (which is btw prove to be "worse" idea in many RL cases). That's why I made such analogy.

Another interesting question would be what would be called "peaceful". If we look at it your way, yes, I do agree the Gargantian are considered peaceful. they are probably among the most peaceful lots in that water world. In that sense, Redo's Galatic Alliance is also a very peaceful entity, far more peaceful than the Hydeauze. They are as peaceful as they can be when another alien species try to eradicate them. We all know how much peaceful Redo is in Gargantians's eyes ^^"

So we now have three different very peaceful groups, living in three different worlds, have three different value of moral, three different difinition of enemy and three different code of how to handle them. Anime viewer(and probably Amy), The rest of Gargantian and Redo's Galatic Alliance. Collided between these three idea would make an interesting story/debate IMO. Keep it coming

Last edited by Hmm....; 2013-04-14 at 06:47.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:04   Link #583
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
After 2 episodes, I haven't seen a mecha anime as impressive as this that isn't called Gundam and Macross since ... probably Eureka 7 (the original, not the shitty AO sequel). I've always wondered what a Urobuchi show would be like if it wasn't saturated with his cynicism and depressants, and I think I may have finally found that show. Don't get me wrong, all his works from Requiem of a Phantom to Psycho Pass last season were consistently good, but they somewhat fell short from being amazing tier (with the exception of maybe Madoka but even I had problems with that) because Gen would dwell too much into philosophical babble. Gen is really good at creating concepts and crisp, sharp dialogue, and with a rather "slice of life"-ish sci-fi/mecha story which is a lot more lighthearted than any of his previous works and with Production IG on the forefront, I expect great things.

Clearly the best of the season for me by a significant margin.
Duckroll pointed out earlier that Urobuchi isn't as involved in the writing this time compared to his past works, so this series may not go down the heavily depressing route most of his shows normally do.

Production I.G is definitely on a roll this season though.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:26   Link #584
zero7090

why do i have a feeling he time travelled to the future?

it would be more awesome if he come back and do a "fear me lowly mortal, i am your God"
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:27   Link #585
blewin

it seems we can just see where this is heading.... that the fleet with Amy in it will come to be feared by other fleets, even becoming the object of enmity because of Redo. If they take him in, then his action is considered as theirs too.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:48   Link #586
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
why do i have a feeling he time travelled to the future?

it would be more awesome if he come back and do a "fear me lowly mortal, i am your God"
I don't see where the time travelling idea came from. Ledo got lost in a wormhole, wakes up 6 months later inside Chamber after being salvaged out of Earth's sea. Seems pretty clear cut to me.
Old 2013-04-14, 03:06   Link #587
Clarste
Human

The idea that there's time travel here seems incredibly silly to me, because it wouldn't make any difference in the slightest.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 03:17   Link #588
Cirno
Eye'm the strongest

Quote:
The water world people aren't primitive tribe, they possesses advanced technology and wouldn't believe him as a God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The idea that there's time travel here seems incredibly silly to me, because it wouldn't make any difference in the slightest.
+1
Cirno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 03:59   Link #589
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I don't know about these guys, but if you presented to me the pinnacle of human technology that floats on magic and all sorts of other shit, it being capable of autonomous function and reasoning really isn't on the top of my list for things to doubt.
I think it's a bigger leap than you make it out to be . It might be easy for us to imagine since we're in the age of machine learning, but they haven't gotten anywhere near that. As far as they're concerned, machines are tools used by humans. The concept of autonomous machines probably doesn't exist for Earth. It's as if your basic calculator started doing calculations by itself or something.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 05:09   Link #590
zero7090

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I don't see where the time travelling idea came from. Ledo got lost in a wormhole, wakes up 6 months later inside Chamber after being salvaged out of Earth's sea. Seems pretty clear cut to me.
Chamber database said that earth is still a frozen land. Mean while the ice melted long ago which suggest that he time travelled to future

Quote:
The water world people aren't primitive tribe, they possesses advanced technology and wouldn't believe him as a God.
i doesnt mean literally he would be called god. But a mighty being and whatever phophet may sound good for the lulz
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 05:24   Link #591
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Chamber database said that earth is still a frozen land. Mean while the ice melted long ago which suggest that he time travelled to future
I thought they left Earth when it was frozen and never found it again? The first episode said that they had no real records of it. It might have been defrosted way before he got to Earth.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 05:38   Link #592
desrtsku
Nympholept

Quote:
Seriously, earth is supposed to be a planet that people had lost track of for I don't know how many decencies/centuries ... so much it's considered a "legendary place". And you still think chamber's database are supposed to be up to date about something they hadn't heard about for such a long time? That doesn't make any sense if you point it that way ; it's like saying you time travelled into the future during your trip to Paris because according to a 500 years old text book you read, something like Eiffel Tower isn't supposed to exist.
They didn't make any jump in time, it's just that chamber's data concerning earth are outdated.
Old 2013-04-14, 05:56   Link #593
lightbringer
M9000

Asking the locals would be one way, but that's assuming they are still on the same calendar. Failing that, Chamber should theoretically be able to deduce the date from the position of the stars, though it might take him a few days to gather enough data. I imagine we will know soon enough where (or rather: when) Ledo is right now on the space-time continuum.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:09   Link #594
Newhope

Time travel can't be ruled out how ever everything points to the alliance just losing Earths location for a long time with the Earth defrosting due that time and the Time Ledo crash landing.

I do find it odd that the Alliance lost track of Earth though it's a easy supply of oxygen and water if I was them I would have at least maintained an outpost in the area, although it could be explained away with the knowledge been lost due to the war.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:13   Link #595
hai_san

On a sidenote, the ED in EP 2 from Choucho is great... since Aimer: RE I AM from Unicorn haven't got hooked that much... the song is an ear candy.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:27   Link #596
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's nice to see that Ledo is no fool and can understand the importance of cooperation but can still make mistakes based on culture differences and a language barrier. It's going to be very interesting to see what the society of Gargantia makes of Ledo's obscene power and how Ledo reacts to it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:50   Link #597
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
On a sidenote, the ED in EP 2 from Choucho is great... since Aimer: RE I AM from Unicorn haven't got hooked that much... the song is an ear candy.
I hope the TV broadcast in an hour or so will have a proper ED sequence. It seems it wasn't completed in time for the blu-ray freebie release.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 07:52   Link #598
xizro345
King's Justice

I've managed to see the first two episodes, finally. First of all, it's a minor detail and it doesn't affect my overall enjoyment of the series, but I really think Gen should stop mentioning astronomy details. The bits in Gargantia are just....wrong, in a way, at least from someone who has an astrophysics background. I usually pay little attention to these (after all, it's anime, not an essay) but the story seems to keep throwing these little details around.

What's interesting so far instead, is that the opening of the first episode and the second half of the second remind me of something completely different, mainly bits of the (relatively old) PC game Freespace 2's main story. Obviously there's no connection, but it's interesting to notice nevertheless.
Aside that, with Gen, everything can happen so I'll avoid even trying to predict what's going to happen.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 08:22   Link #599
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Hmmm.... TIME TRAVEL.

Now this is interesting. Anyone that knows a bit about time travel would know about the wormhole theory, I totally support this idea.

Good job for pointing out something like this.

We may be seeing time travel to the past.

Arty

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 09:42   Link #600
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
Ice ages don't literally freeze the whole planet so I expect some area's near the equator would still be habitable enough to maintain some sort of civilization. I'am more puzzled about where all the water came from even if all the Ice on the earth melted it'd only be enough to raise sea levels by 50-60m, while it'd flood most low laying land they'd still be plenty above sea level.
Personally I was thinking of a Snowball Earth situation rather than a simple ice age, although I'm still not sure how the Earth managed to get underwater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
While I don't find time travel seem silly considering the main character went through a worm hole when he lost control of his mecha. At the moment though I do agree that it doesn't make any difference unless they're going for a 'Planet of the Apes' type ending (Avalon has been destroyed all this time).

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi