AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-01-30, 19:00   Link #1
Suikun

Importing AviSynth/D2V in AfterEffects?

I've been teaching myself how to use Adobe AfterEffects the past week or so, but I'm still stumped as to exactly how to intergrate it with everything else.

My main concern here is if there's anything out there I can use to import AviSynth and/or .d2v files into AfterEffects so I don't have to encode to a lossless AVI just to work with the file in AE.

But I also wouldn't mind any other tips or suggestions anybody might have as to the overall process of doing effects (primarily karaoke) in AfterEffects - not how you do the effects themselves necessarily, but what your general workflow is, how you get the timings into AE, etc. I can probably figure all that out myself later on, but any advice I can get would be cool.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 19:05   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suikun
I've been teaching myself how to use Adobe AfterEffects the past week or so, but I'm still stumped as to exactly how to intergrate it with everything else.

My main concern here is if there's anything out there I can use to import AviSynth and/or .d2v files into AfterEffects so I don't have to encode to a lossless AVI just to work with the file in AE.

But I also wouldn't mind any other tips or suggestions anybody might have as to the overall process of doing effects (primarily karaoke) in AfterEffects - not how you do the effects themselves necessarily, but what your general workflow is, how you get the timings into AE, etc. I can probably figure all that out myself later on, but any advice I can get would be cool.
From my experience, it normally goes the other way around. Effects are made in afx and exported to lossless RGB+alpha huffy, then overlayed in avisynth using Overlay.
you can make simple lossy encodes (or import the raw) to work with in afx, and then disable that layer when rendering the effect.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 20:31   Link #3
ShadowHawk

I believe this link should answer your question.

Also, mind explaining how to make this d2v file? I'm quite new to Adobe AfterEffects and I have been trying to understand the "general flow" for creating karaoke as well.
ShadowHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 20:50   Link #4
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowHawk
I believe this link should answer your question.

Also, mind explaining how to make this d2v file? I'm quite new to Adobe AfterEffects and I have been trying to understand the "general flow" for creating karaoke as well.
d2v files have nothing to do with afx, they are made by dgindex, a dvd vob program used to load vob based mpeg2 into avisynth and virtualdub. Usually d2v's are loaded in an avisynth script using the mpeg2source plugin included with dgindex. Then you can edit the dvd video in avisynth as you wish (deinterlace, ivtc, filter, etc). I wouln't import them directly into afx if I were you...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 22:42   Link #5
Grave

er have you ever try reading the karaoke help thread below ?
Shinji has release a script that load ssa time file into AFX.
Tho even with the script if ur knowledge of AFX is n00b,beginner u wont get to use it that easily.
Grave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 05:36   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I haven't taken a look at Shinji's script, but if I had to get timings into AfterFX, I would preprocess the karaoke file using a custom script to produce an Expression, which I can then use in any of the time-varying text-effects in the Text tool's Animate feature.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote