AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2011-06-05, 22:38   Link #1
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Morality in Martial Arts Fanfics Discussion

Martial Arts films (Hero, Fearless) and Anime (Ruroni Kenshin) stand out amongst the action genre for their ability to thoughtfully analyze the moral, social and emotional consequences of violence and the cause of violence.

Starting a thread here for people who want to discuss and philosophise about the morality in their Martial-Arts themed fanfics.

Going to kick it off with a little old something my friends and I are working on;

The context is that of an alternate-History Earth where Magic, Monsters and "Crouching Tiger/Hero" level Martial Arts exists.

Here Goes

A Chinese Swordsmaster spent a considerable portion of his boyhood as the adopted son of a Western Knight, and loves him dearly as a Father.

His adoptive father fell fighting an Ancient Dragon rampaging through Europe, and FAILED to defeat the beast using Knight Swordsmanship.

Years later, the Dragon has woken up, and has burnt and slaughtered itself into the path of our hero.

He can slay said-dragon in ONE blow using Chinese Swordsmanship, or the Japanese Swordsmanship which he picked up in his travels.

But elects to use the far-inferior Knight Swordsmanship, even if he could very likely be killed just like his father before him.

For if he defeats the Dragon using Chinese or Japanese swordsmanship, it will be no less than conceding that his father was a failure and a weakling who faltered in his duty as a knight to protect the innocent, and the stain on his honor will NEVER be cleansed.

How does this situation morally "click" with you, the international Martial Arts loving readership?

Let the discussion begin.

Last edited by Yui Is My Wife; 2011-06-05 at 22:59.
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote