AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-08, 18:43   Link #1
-HyugaNeji-

Anime with really good english dubs

Hi there, since i prefer dubbed Anime over japanese, i'd love if you could give me a list of anime with the, in your oppinion, best dubs! (I'm no english native speaker, that's why i have a high tolerance to what a native speaker would consider a "bad" dub)

The genre can be everyting except depressing drama or romance stuff. I don't want that on my list. And if possible, not too childish but a bit more mature.
Old 2009-05-08, 18:49   Link #2
Marion
The Great Dine

Dragon Ball Z
Full Metal Alchemist
Code Geass
Blood+
Cowboy Bebop
Elfin Lied
Chobits
Death Note
Samurai Champloo
The REMADE dub of One Piece by FUNimation (The 4kids one is god awful)

Those are the ones from the top of my head.

Note: Chobits is probably more or less of a depressing one. FMA can be as well, but it overcomes it with good funny moments and action scenes. Same for Cowboy Bebop
Old 2009-05-08, 18:56   Link #3
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Most of what Marion said, plus:

Fate/Stay night
Gurren Lagann was solid
Gunslinger Girl; somewhat depressing but not too much
Desert Punk
Rurouni Kenshin
Yuyu Hakusho<---My personal favorite dub.
Case Closed/Detective Conan was very solid if you don't mind name changes.
Shin Chin. . .lol
Old 2009-05-08, 20:27   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
InuYasha stands out to me as one of the best English dubs ever. (Of course that may just be because the Japanese dub is terrible). It's the only anime for which I can clearly say that the English dub is better than the Japanese dub.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has a pretty good dub in my opinion. (I think Episode 00 in particular is better in English then Japanese). I still favor the Japanese dub over the English, but I can't deny it's a good dub.

Shakugan no Shana also has a pretty good dub. I've watched both and while I slightly favor the Japanese, the English is pretty good too.

Chrono Crusade... well, from a purely technical view the dub isn't bad. However, the anime is set in the 1920's America, so when they dubbed it into English they used authentic American slang from the 1920's. Because of this English speakers either hated it or loved it. Though I have a larger vocabulary than most, I just found it awkward- No matter how authentic it is, it just disturbs the mood in my opinion. If you are a non-native English speaker it's likely to be incomprehensible. Not only is massive amounts of slang used, but it's all very dated slang, that only Americans over ninety years old would remember.

Starblazers is in my opinion a decent dub (once you make allowances for the time and setting- it was dubbed in the seventies and played on broadcast TV during Saturday morning cartoon times. You have to accept that certain things are Bowdlerized- alcohol is changed into "spring water" for example.)

Full Metal Panic has a decent English dub. Not nearly as good as some of the others mentioned, but tolerable. I think the Japanese is much better though.

I'm told Dragon Ball Z is actually a pretty good dub- if you can stand the episode long power up sessions.
Old 2009-05-08, 20:50   Link #5
qwertyuiopz

digimon omg XD
especially the movie

ive seen hellsing on adult swim and its dub is awesome

Last edited by qwertyuiopz; 2009-05-08 at 21:18.
Old 2009-05-08, 21:13   Link #6
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Oh yeah, I forget about s-Cry-ED. That had a solid dub, with Steven Jay Blum as the lead character.
Old 2009-05-10, 11:10   Link #7
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Heat Guy J
Gungrave

Gungrave is a fairly dark show, but I wouldn't call it depressing.
Heat Guy J is actually the only show I've seen so far where I preferred the English track over the original.
Old 2009-05-12, 02:52   Link #8
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Darker Than Black
Full Metal Panic
Black Lagoon
Trigun
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Spriggan
Strait Jacket
Basilisk
Hellsing OVA's
Old 2009-05-12, 18:44   Link #9
Kazu
Flowing

Golden Boy.I laughed my ass off watching this,it just doesen't feel right watching it with subs
Old 2009-05-14, 19:08   Link #10
Happy_Chip

Movie-wise:

Steamboy
Nausicaa
[Patrick Stewart is a voice actor in both of these]

Crusher Joe - the movie
(not as A+ like the above two, but maybe a B)
Old 2009-05-15, 00:25   Link #11
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

Does funny depressing drama count? Because I can't seem to stop watching Welcome to the NHK. I haven't managed to watch it in the original Japanese yet because the dub is fun to listen to.

I bought Fruits Basket mostly because I liked the dub (Shigure has such great lines and his delivery is priceless). I wouldn't call it a romance anime (since as far as I recall, none of the main characters acknowledged any romantic feelings even to themselves), but it's definitely sentimental.
Old 2009-05-15, 07:26   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My shipment of NHK discs arrived yesterday, and I decided to re-watch a few episodes with dubs. I was surprised by how good it was, though I don't think Greg Ayres really captures how volcanic Yamazaki can be. Chris Patten and Stephanie Wittels do fine jobs as Satou and Misaki. I haven't yet heard a sequence with Luci Christian as my favorite character, Kashiwa Hitomi. Hope she doesn't disappoint.
Old 2009-05-15, 08:47   Link #13
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I actually liked Ghost in the Shell with dubs too, for some reason. No one mentioned it so far, so I might be alone.
Old 2009-05-15, 23:42   Link #14
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I actually liked Ghost in the Shell with dubs too, for some reason. No one mentioned it so far, so I might be alone.
No, I would also recommend it. I thought BOTH japanese and english voice acting were extremely well done, which is a rarity in anime.
Old 2009-05-16, 11:39   Link #15
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

If you are knowledgable of the dubbing companies, it's much easier to find a good dub.

-Don't touch 4kids' dubs. They ruin everything they touch. 4kids' One Piece vs redubbed FUNmation One Piece, the difference can't be more clear.
-Be very wary of Viz Entertainment, though they come out with decent ones sometime.
-Be wary of FUNImation's earlier stuff, but they have improved drastically and are my current favorite dubbers.
-ADV is solid.
-Geneon is in the dirt right now, but they dubbed Samurai Champloo, another good dub.
-I don't really like Ocean Group(they did dub Gundam SEED), but they also did Inuyasha.
-I don't know much about Bandai Entertainment, just Code Geass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Not at all, it had a great cast. I just didn't like the series itself.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-05-16 at 15:46.
Old 2009-05-17, 12:55   Link #16
othera

Deathnote and fate stay night are the only series i watched dubbed(I usually watch first episode dubbed(if the series is) and 2nd subbed, And then the rest with whichever i prefer)

Only 2 I actually liked.
Closed Thread