Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 07:49   Link #21
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
I never really saw the benefit from Earth Hour. I mean, sure I can turn off my lights in for sixty minutes and feel a little better for myself, but the entire net energy not used for an hour doesn't really do much for amount we use in the rest of the year. It's really just trivial.

I still turned my lights off though, but not for the reason of "saving the world". It was a nice opportunity to go outside and gaze at a larger more expansive star-field because there wasn't nearly as much light pollution during that time.
Old 2009-03-29, 07:53   Link #22
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The point of Earth Hour was not to save the world by saving energy in the first place.

If switching off lights could save the world, humans will need to switch off lights for the next 10 years or even more.

The real purpose of Earth Hour is to see whether humans choose a Green Earth or Global Warming. The motto was "The world's first global election, choose between a Green Earth and Global Warming.'

And it seems even if 1 billion buildings have switched off their lights, the remaining buildings still contain ignorant or selfish people. And it has proven this point.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 07:59   Link #23
,Zelkova

I was thinking about doing it, but than i just completely forgot about it till now. xD
,Zelkova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:04   Link #24
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
@C.A

You have a point, but it seems that half of the reason it didn't really succeed from what this thread and all my other forums seem to tell me is well. . .there's not much advertising going about. A lot of people simply don't REALIZE there's an Earth Hour. Or as the post above me sorta demonstrates, forgot.

Hell, there are a plethora of reasons, not simply because everyone is selfish or ignorant. I mean sure that's definitely a reason, but it's simply not certain that it's the sole cause for the other people to not participate.
Old 2009-03-29, 08:11   Link #25
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I just didn't see the point of it, even if it was to demonstrate a choice. If they would propose something constructive, instead of always talk and "Choose that or you are the opposite", then I would see a purpose in it.

That's also the person I am, if I do not see a purpose, I am not likely to do anything. I care about the environment , but in other ways than this. Especially constructive ones.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:12   Link #26
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceon View Post
@C.A

You have a point, but it seems that half of the reason it didn't really succeed from what this thread and all my other forums seem to tell me is well. . .there's not much advertising going about. A lot of people simply don't REALIZE there's an Earth Hour. Or as the post above me sorta demonstrates, forgot.

Hell, there are a plethora of reasons, not simply because everyone is selfish or ignorant. I mean sure that's definitely a reason, but it's simply not certain that it's the sole cause for the other people to not participate.
Well, I'm also quite sure most other reasons would be negative reasons, 'forgetfulness', 'I don't care', 'I think its stupid' etc.

And the lack of advertisement is either the broadcasting stations don't care about such events and would rather have people not switch off lights and TVs and just watch their shows.

Or that people have not been watching Discovery Channel, Nat Geo, Animal Planet and would rather watch their 'Reality TV' etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
I am neither ignorant nor selfish. I just didn't see the point of it, even if it was to demonstrate a choice. If they would propose something constructive, instead of always talk and "Choose that or you are the opposite", then I would see a purpose in it.

That's also the person I am, if I do not see a purpose, I am not likely to do anything. I care about the environment , but in other ways than this. Especially constructive ones.
If you really care about the environment that much, you could spend 1 hour of your life in darkness.

It just shows you don't care enough.

Old 2009-03-29, 08:13   Link #27
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, I think if Irenicus was here, he'll remember what it is that keeps me awake, but I'll repeat it here. What would happen if the average African, Indian and Chinese family becomes middle class? Add to that our friends in South America. Even with the most efficient equipment, we will see a soar in energy demand. What then?
Old 2009-03-29, 08:13   Link #28
xia

My dad mentioned this in passing, but had no idea what he was talking about.

If this a yearly event i'll do it next time.

Thanks vandakiara for the sig!
Currently watching
On deck for 08/09: Claymore, Monster, Paradise Kiss,
xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:14   Link #29
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
But seems like this event showed that most humans are ignorant or selfish.
They could have just thought it was ridiculous

It's not like any power plants stopped belching crap into the atmosphere for that hour or anything, well maybe a tiny bit less. If it makes you feel any better my power went out for 2 hours last night due to a storm, to technically I did more than you without even trying
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:15   Link #30
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
It's better to be saving energy all year round. At best, this 1-hour thing is an advertisement. At worst, it's a gimmick.
That's pretty much what I thought about it. As far as I could tell everyone just went exactly back to normal after EH ended. It didn't change that much. Plus like someone said we still have cars which is supposedly one of the worst causes of it, depending on your beliefs regarding the subject. I'm not saying trying to save our earth is bad(though using it as an excuse to colonize space would be fun) I just didn't see a point in pretending turning it off for an hour made a difference, unless people spent that time thinking about how to fix the environment or something.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:17   Link #31
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
If you really care about the environment that much, you could spend 1 hour of your life in darkness.

It just shows you don't care enough.
Fine by me if you want to believe that, because I do care. I don't care to the extreme, because there is a lot of other factors that a individual cannot affect.
We all have our own ways.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:17   Link #32
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Personally, I do believe that the sea levels will rise, wiping out 1-2 billion people (estimates are mine). Even then, we still have a population problem with a capital P.

Eventually, this issue will settle itself, but in ways which will make us regret that we didn't bite the bullet and settle it ourselves.
Old 2009-03-29, 08:18   Link #33
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus View Post
They could have just thought it was ridiculous

It's not like any power plants stopped belching crap into the atmosphere for that hour or anything, well maybe a tiny bit less. If it makes you feel any better my power went out for 2 hours last night due to a storm, to technically I did more than you without even trying
Try reading my later post on top of this page.

This event is to see if people are aware and ready to change for the better before Global Warming hits.

Its like a petition, to the world, the governments that they want to cut greenhouse emissions and save energy.

If the world response is outstanding, governments may fund more into green energy research, which the world is terribly lacking.

Old 2009-03-29, 08:21   Link #34
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Global warming is already upon us. It will reach a point where people will look at each other across borders and go, "They, or us?"
Old 2009-03-29, 08:21   Link #35
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Personally, I do believe that the sea levels will rise, wiping out 1-2 billion people (estimates are mine). Even then, we still have a population problem with a capital P.

Eventually, this issue will settle itself, but in ways which will make us regret that we didn't bite the bullet and settle it ourselves.
Indeed the easiest way is to just wipe out most of the Earth's population, eventually Nature will do that if humans persist.

But humans themselves are selfish and not want that, yet they are selfish enough to not try and lighten the situation.

Old 2009-03-29, 08:24   Link #36
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Assuming that the world population stops growing (good luck getting there), we already have 6.5+ billion around the world. You can wipe out 80% of all of us, and there will still be 1 BILLION people around (++). As far as I know, not many mammals have a population of 1 billion.
Old 2009-03-29, 08:31   Link #37
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I don't understand what you seem angry about C.A. The truth about this event is that it will have no real effect in the long run. The people who already wished to do something about global warming either A. didn't care about this event because it was set up so it wouldn't do much in their opinion. B. turned off their lights and refused to really spread the idea of global warming they just... turned off their lights (not that it wasn't cool) C. turned off their lights and tried to spread the idea of stopping global warming (though they could have spread the idea without the whole turning off your lights I guess it felt like a good gesture.) or D. never even heard of it since it wasn't publicized well enough, not because they were ignorant. Accusing people who didn't turn off their lights as being ignorant or selfish is just that ignorant and selfish.

As for me read my previous post. I just role that way. Prove that my action was either ignorant or selfish.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:31   Link #38
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Assuming that the world population stops growing (good luck getting there), we already have 6.5+ billion around the world. You can wipe out 80% of all of us, and there will still be 1 BILLION people around (++). As far as I know, not many mammals have a population of 1 billion.
As someone who watched the entire Gundam series, has watched alot of mecha, is watching Sorakake now, I know that very well lol

I personally have no problems with the outcome if humans themselves asks for it.

But I know even on this forum, there's someone who would start go nuts and start relating us to Hitler and stuff.

Old 2009-03-29, 08:32   Link #39
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Mass Extinction events have occured before, it's just a matter of time before things comes full circle once more.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 08:35   Link #40
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
Mass Extinction events have occured before, it's just a matter of time before things comes full circle once more.
Well, yeah. But, we know essentially nothing about mass extinctions. Fossil records are incomplete at best.