Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-07, 18:30   Link #61
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I think it's pretty clear by now that anime ratings are worth jack shit.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:50   Link #62
Autumn Demon
~

anime ratings are good for when you're just getting into anime. i like and have used animenfo.com's top 200 to find some great anime. most of what they have listed are just the old "classics", kind of, but that's what you want when you're just starting off.

once you become a serious anime watcher going by word of mouth or a suggestion forum is most effective for finding good anime because it's a lot more personal.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:51   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Just out of curiousity, do you think that the problem is that Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 is badly overrated, or that the problem is that Code Geass has been put high on the top rated list even though it has so very very relatively few total ratings to go by?
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:33   Link #64
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
The problem is that people go and vote for it as "masterpiece" after watching a single episode.

I don't know about you, but we don't call that reliable judgment in my town. I don't have problems with people liking stuff a lot, but I try not to use them as guides.

PS: And I actually like Code Geass. Though it's suffering a pretty severe Naruto disease when it comes to its fanbase (just look at the first episode thread to have an idea).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 20:38   Link #65
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That doesn't say anything. How about all the times before this season when those ratings hold true? How hard is it to just skip that rank? No site is perfect, and it is our job applying our common sense to weed out what is useful and what is not.

ANN's ratings have given me lots of good recommendations, and I always go there for more if I run out of anime to watch. Of course, ratings don't control my life, but from my experience, they're useful guides. The thing people needs to get is that guides =/= your personal reference. All I'm saying is instead of a 50/50 hit/miss ratio for choosing an anime random, I've followed ANN's "ratings" and get a 80/20 hit/miss ratio, which is pretty good.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 01:20   Link #66
TurinTurambar200

I actually find ratings to be quite useful as a means of selecting something to watch out of all the stuff that is there. As many have said most ratings are based off of a series' popularity within the viewer base. Thus rabid fanboy effect aside, simple math would dictate that an anime that seems to appeal to a large portion of the audience has a better chance of appealing to you as well compared to something that seems to be much more of a niche taste. It's worked for me fairly well, especially considering I don't have all that much free time to sample the first few episodes of every series.

Of course, you need to know your own tastes first. For example, no matter what ratings a harem anime gets, if harem just isn't for you, don't bother with it. Similarly, if you know you have very specific tastes and something sounds interesting but have bad ratings, go ahead and dig deeper.

Ratings aren't there to tell you what you will enjoy, but to suggest to you what you might enjoy.
TurinTurambar200 is offline   Reply With Quote