AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-04, 19:44   Link #1
rozendeath

Anime Cel's

Ive noticed on here that no one really talks about anime cels, so i figured Id start this thread, I collect mostly Dragonball z cels, and a few other series, such as Hajime No Ippo, Trigun, Cowboy bebop. , whoops, i forgot to add that im selling off my collection , so if anyones interested let me know.

Last edited by rozendeath; 2008-04-04 at 20:14.
rozendeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 20:50   Link #2
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozendeath View Post
Ive noticed on here that no one really talks about anime cels, so i figured Id start this thread, I collect mostly Dragonball z cels, and a few other series, such as Hajime No Ippo, Trigun, Cowboy bebop. , whoops, i forgot to add that im selling off my collection , so if anyones interested let me know.
No self advertising, but discussion about them is all goodie though. For me, I dislike most anime cels, i just don't like the ink they use for it even though it's of a high grade that normal. I do see a few that I do like though ^^

(Aren't most anime cel fan made anyway?)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 21:29   Link #3
rozendeath

haha, sorry, i just read the thing about not advertising, I didnt know till now, ya seriously dislike most anime cels?? no most anime cels before like the year 2000 are company made, the ones you might be thinking about are called repro cels, like they do that for naruto and such, since naruto is made on computer , they sometimes go old school and make limited runs of cels... its kind of neat lol,
Old 2008-04-05, 07:43   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Are cels even used anymore in modern anime production? I ask mostly out of ignorance, but I thought modern computerized animation methods have rendered hand-drawn cels obsolete. If they do exist, are they commonly available for sale? I don't see them mentioned on sites that sell anime goods like RightStuf.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 10:59   Link #5
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Are cels even used anymore in modern anime production? I ask mostly out of ignorance, but I thought modern computerized animation methods have rendered hand-drawn cels obsolete. If they do exist, are they commonly available for sale? I don't see them mentioned on sites that sell anime goods like RightStuf.
Nope, on average you will almost never see anime cels on sale on regular anime merchandise sites.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 12:25   Link #6
rozendeath

yeah cels are dead, they use gengas or dougas now, they are just sketches that they scan into the computer and color them on there, you can buy gengas and dougas, but i have list of abunch of cel sites right here http://mise.x25.se/pub/keeptrack/ . have fun!
Old 2008-04-05, 17:16   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Sage

Sage for blatant advertising.

While I'm here, what are "cels"?
From reading the thread, I'm assuming that they're some type of drawing/animation of a character form an anime or something?
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 17:36   Link #8
rozendeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Sage for blatant advertising.

While I'm here, what are "cels"?
From reading the thread, I'm assuming that they're some type of drawing/animation of a character form an anime or something?
I gave a link so people could go look at cel shops cuz someone said that anime sites dont have cels, so i just figured id post that., I dont gain any profit by doing that.

Cels are hand painted drawing's that are used to make an anime, at first you look at em and go, eh big deal , but once you buy one and find the part from the anime, theres just this awesome thing about having the screen paused and your holding that picture in your hand, haha its just awesome!
Old 2008-04-06, 04:13   Link #9
wao
OK.

AFAIK "cel" is short for celluloid, which is the sheet of plastic on which the pencil drawings were transfered with ink. Then the plastic was painted and photographed. You can imagine what a huge difference digital colouring made to the production process!

I guess holding a piece of paper that might have been changed in many ways (modified, darkened, coloured in different ways, digitally altered) is quite different from holding a cel - the physical, actual frame of animation that appeared in the anime (there was much less modification especially when special effects were still hand-done, like through airbrushing).
However, a genga/douga sheet ought to feel more direct in the sense that you are touching the same paper that the animator used (sounds creepy when I say it like this) and for genga especially, you can see the nuances and variation of the lines as drawn by the animator (rather than a clean, traced version)

But I've never actually seen an actual genga or douga drawing with my own eyes (as in... the actual object), only scans/photographs, so I'm wondering when people order them through Yahoo Auctions and so on... they're the actual pencil drawings right, not photocopies?

As for cels in modern productions, I had heard that Gisaburo Sugii's Stormy Night (Arashi no Yoru ni) had actually used cels on top of CG, but I don't know whether that was really true or not. I think it wasn't.

I'm also reminded of the 3rd Blood+ OP, where they used cels to achieve some visual effects for the background.
Old 2008-04-06, 04:45   Link #10
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

At the Tokyo anime fair, in the bazaar section they had a few stores, one of which (I never even heard of called "Anime world fair", I think) had a 50% off sale on a ton of old anime cels, mostly crappy quality, but CHEAP, ranging from $2-$100.

I got a few of Black Jack for a friend of mine, and I got a $10 one from Daa! Daa! Daa! .

First cels I ever bought, but actually they're pretty neat when you can look closely at them. I think of them kind of like getting a single frame of an anime at essentially infinite resolution .
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 05:14   Link #11
LR2

I really like cels. I have always wanted to buy one. However, I have never seen a cel with the right balance of likability and price. I have even considered having someone reproduce a cel; that was a while back and even if I wanted to I have already lost their URL.
LR2 is offline   Reply With Quote