AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-17, 21:24   Link #1
*Pyoro*

Took a break from anime, need suggestions on good new series!

I've been busy for a while and haven't watched much anime, so I need your help finding the best new series to watch. The last series I watched was Death Note, absolutely loved it. So please, if any new series come to mind that are similar to the my favs listed below, let me know! Thanks in advance.

Currently working on:

Seirei no Moribito

Memorable favorites:

Death Note
Elfen Lied
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
GITS:SAC
FMP
FMA
Honey and Clover
KimiNozo
Suzuka

Recently Finished:

Aishiteru ze Baby
Baccano!

I've seen quite a few series, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind. Basically I like series that are either excellent storylines with good action and character development, or slice of life romance. Things I don't like are anime like Naruto or Bleach which run on with barely any plot development. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by *Pyoro*; 2007-12-19 at 15:47.
Old 2007-12-17, 22:29   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

I'd highly reccommend any of the 5 shows in my sig-banner, though if you want a place to start specifically, I'd do Baccano first since it's the mot refreshing, original anime to exist in... like, ever. But if you'd rather have something to really really get drawn into, go for Welcome to the NHK.
Old 2007-12-17, 22:55   Link #3
*Pyoro*

i've watched all of NHK and a bit of eureka 7, couldnt really get into eureka. NHK was pretty good, but i was watching it in the middle of dead winter in cleveland so its depressing nature hit a little too close to home

ill definitely check out the others tho, thanks for the tip!
Old 2007-12-17, 23:48   Link #4
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
If you can take a bit of a depressing theme and being eaten alive - literally - by dramatic settings, then watch Clannad. I'm watching it as I post and given I already want to crawl into fetal position and take cover in a corner, I'd say it's good.

I second Tengen Toppa. Awesome storyline and lots of action - good character development too.
Eureka SeveN is very good and I recommend it. Get to it if you can.
Lucky Star is obviously an unspoken candidate to you, if you like the slice of life/comedy genre.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2007-12-17, 23:55   Link #5
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

Try Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, first and 2nd season, which just finished today. Mystery/thriller that while confusing at first will keep you guessing and has great characters to boot
Old 2007-12-18, 00:03   Link #6
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Check out ef ~a tale of memories~. It's a refreshingly original romance with deep characters and "interesting" presentation. Not for everyone, but I loved it. Work through the first few episodes of boring cliches and paper thin characters. It gets far better later.

If you liked Kiminozo/KGNE, check out Hanbun Tsuki ga Noboru Sora. It's got a lot of the same themes.
Old 2007-12-18, 08:27   Link #7
Reno

Send a message via MSN to Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pyoro* View Post
I like series that are either excellent storylines with good action and character development
Monster is excactly that!
Old 2007-12-18, 08:38   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

I've found the best titles this year to be Baccano!, Gurren Lagann, Seirei no Moribito, Terra e and ef ~a tale of memories~. Try them out as well as stuff like Mononoke, Dennou Coil & Ghost Hound.
Old 2007-12-18, 10:30   Link #9
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Pyoro* View Post
I like series that are either excellent storylines with good action and character development
Seirei no Moribito has all those things. A fantasy series with a great story, great characters and some great action. Arguably one of the best shows of 2007.
Old 2007-12-18, 14:08   Link #10
*Pyoro*

thanks for all the suggestions, i finished Aishiteru ze Baby and i am about halfway through baccano!, and it's quite good. i like how its fast paced and keeps you on your toes.
Old 2007-12-18, 15:06   Link #11
Dxon
Inactive Member

Kaze no Stigma
Ikki Tousen
Mahou Sensei Negima. (comedy in those three. )
I dont know if they really have character development but I think they have.
Old 2007-12-18, 19:25   Link #12
tbl
Affably Evil

Code Geass - watch it now. The lead surpassed Light imo.
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2007-12-19, 10:07   Link #13
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Seirei no Moribito very good anime

Quote:
Code Geass - watch it now. The lead surpassed Light imo.
i totally agree
Old 2007-12-19, 15:50   Link #14
*Pyoro*

ok finished baccano last nite, liked it a lot despite the ending feeling a little rushed. I watched the first episode of Seirei no Moribito, and it seems a little slow to me, not much action to grab my attention and characters seem a little distant. I'll stick with it for a few more tho, and I will check out Code Geass.
Old 2007-12-19, 16:34   Link #15
Cheezy
brrr

Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Clannad
Kaiji
Bamboo Blade
Minami-ke
Shion no Ou
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun

These are all new animes that are currently airing. All of them very great.
Closed Thread