Old 2010-09-20, 23:28   Link #1
Nosauz

Fall 2010 US TV Season Premiere and Expectations

Spoiler for Mondays:

Spoiler for Tuesdays:

Spoiler for Wednesdays:

Spoiler for Thursdays:

Spoiler for Fridays:

Last edited by Nosauz; 2010-09-26 at 10:07.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 01:16   Link #2
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We watched Mike&Molly ... not great but not as bad as expected.
Followed that up with the new Hawaii 5-0. More complex feelings. Its a bit less fantasy than the original in the rationale for the unit's existence.... but still fantasy My wife isn't sure yet whether she likes the "anti-terrorist international crime" re-interpretation rather than just fighting island crime.
We liked the characters so that makes a lot of difference (unlike NCIS:Los Angeles where both story and characters just failed from the beginning). We'll see if 5-0 can maintain the budget they spent on the first episode for 5-0. My older son gave it +10 karma points because they used the original theme song

I'm already hating "The Event" just because of the hype, we watched about 20 minutes and didn't care anymore ... and meh most everything else. The Big Bang Theory is getting a new character which might re-energize the series (which is like saying returning to Warp 7 from Warp 4).

The original NCIS and the original CSI are still entertaining to us... but most evenings if the tv is on at all, we're watching BBC/NHK/DeutscheW and the News Hour.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-09-21 at 01:26.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 01:57   Link #3
james0246

With TiVo, I always make sure to watch first episodes :

Lonestar was okay, but everything else was expected.

Hawaii 5-0 was just an action show (which will probably put in some CSI-style faux procedural work starting next episode) nothing to write home about (save for Grace Hall's slightly emaciated but still rockin' bod )...it was also kind of funny to see Spike (James Marsters) as the bad-guy who will, much like the original show, obviously come back again sometime in the future (God I hated the reoccurring villains in the original series).

I generally dislike all the CBS sitcoms (There is really only 2 shows I watch on CBS, Good Wife (2nd season premier next Tuesday...I think); and Medium (this Friday)), so not much to see on Monday. Much the same as CBS's sitcoms, ABC's dramas are boring (but their sitcoms are damn good).

House was House (not much new there, either), but Lonestar was pretty good (could be very interesting). So, for FOX Mondays, I'll keep an eye out for Lonestar, but that's about it...

Chuck was Chuck, and I stopped watching that show years ago (for good reason). The Event was okay, and I'll watch another episode are two (personally, I was more interested in the fact that Scott Patterson and Melissa McCarthy were put on shows competing against each other (The Event and Mike & Molly, respectively); I found this very amusing, and I hope other Gilmore Girl fans did as well ). The Chase was boring as all get out, so one more episode then I'm through...

90210 is awful, so I don't have to worry about that, and Gossip Girl is okay as background filler while working on something else...

Last edited by james0246; 2010-09-21 at 09:58.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 02:30   Link #4
Aqua Knight

I think they are dragging House too much. This should be the final season.

What I am waiting for is new season of Bones.
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 02:41   Link #5
Irkalla
I asked for this

Nothing out of those, really. I just watch House here and there, but I'm nowhere near a rabid week to week watcher, just when I feel like.

There are other returning shows I'm eager for, though. Fringe, Supernatural and Dexter, can't wait!
Old 2010-09-21, 02:48   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
I think they are dragging House too much. This should be the final season.

What I am waiting for is new season of Bones.
Agreed, House was outstanding in its prime but the weak-knee system can't bring itself to tell a story and then say "THE END" most of the time. Even the supposed "short" or "mini" series end up going several seasons past their due date (*cough* lost *cough* 24 *cough*).
Old 2010-09-21, 03:38   Link #7
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't think House is going to last too many more seasons. They shouldn't go past 8-9, especially considering that House's story can only go so far. But hey, the show is still entertaining, and though it is not necessarily as fresh as it used to be, the characters themselves still remain fairly interesting.

But yeah, they shouldn't try to milk it too much more or it's going to start actually becoming stale.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 05:12   Link #8
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
To be honest, I see House more like as I see GTO, it got a unque protagonist who is very interesting and entertaining, awesome to watch but someone you don't want to entrust your children with in real life, and at the beginning it's really really good. However, it's overstayed it's welcome and by this point it's getting really and the cases become predictable.

None of the new shows really strikes me, so I guess I'll just wait and see what the general consensus for these shows are, maybe watch some that is really good. Shows I enjoyed last season and definitely will follow again are Castle, Community, and Modern Family. I'm kinda disappointed in last season of Chuck, but I loved the first two seasons too much that I'm willing to give the new season another chance. Same with How I met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, I dropped it in the middle of last season but there was a point in the past where I loved it, maybe I'll check out the first few episodes to check if they have successfully recapture that magic. If not, I'll drop it again.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 06:38   Link #9
Nosauz

I use to be a religious House watcher, House and the gang solving wierd diseases due to weird conditions was great, after Cop arc Seasons 4 and 5 I think the show has just run out of things to do, especially when the most compellling thing is no longer even the cases which at least use to bring intrigue. Anyway yes I believe that House is at it's wits end and on the case of GTO, the GTO series does not even hold a candle to the old series, it's basically like what they did with the next Idolmaster.

Also Hawaii Five-O's conclusion destroys any chance for a real plot thread and if it's action adventure I'll go watch Band of Brothers. The cast is like able and if Spike was going to be the major big bad it would have been interesting.

I still think out of the new stuff Lonestar is very good. Maybe it's because of the lacking in quality for the rest of the new things that premiere yesterday. Still it's pretty awesome that we get network TV in the fall and kick ass cable in the late Summer.

CBS Comedy Block: I love HIMYM, this wasn't as LOL funny as say any of the slap episodes, or memorable such as the kraw mcgraw episode, but still a couple of the jokes connected. Two and a Half men is two and a half men, if you like chuck lore he's pretty on point, and bad boy charlie sheen is still quite funny. Since there tend to be a lack in good drama, (demise of the Shield and Breaking Bad is on break) I'm enjoying Rules of Engagement for what it is, nothing great but for some reason Patrick Wharburton's voice is soothing, must be all the years of watching Buzz Lightyear Space Cadets (or whatever that show was called). All in all my Mondays are going to be pretty packed because of MNF and then Rules, HIMYM, and Lonestar for now. Unless House goes gangbusters and it's more than gimpy and a cane I won't come back, so much wasted potential in Cameron and Chase.
Old 2010-09-21, 11:43   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Oh yeah... Rules of Engagement. I was going to give that a look purely on the basis of Kronk and the Llama being the cast (Emperor's New Groove).
Old 2010-09-21, 12:27   Link #11
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I love House so I'll be watching that and also Two and a Half Men, but I'm really looking forward to the new episode of Nikita this Thursday I love that show it kinda reminds me of James Cameron's Dark Angel. I'm also looking forward to No Ordinary Family cause it sounds interesting.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 13:27   Link #12
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Oh yeah... Rules of Engagement. I was going to give that a look purely on the basis of Kronk and the Llama being the cast (Emperor's New Groove).
Ha, I actually forgot he was Kronk, but yea Warburton is my favorite American VA, his characters are always spot on, and he does have good comedic timing, the only problem with rules is that it does rely heavily on stereotypes about genderroles which to some and sometimes even I view it as lazy writing, but then again David Spade, Wharburton and spade's assitant do create a good dynamic that is funny.

Boardwalk Empire (HBO) This is a homerun, after the end of the Sopranos, the Hay day of Six Feet, and Band of Brothers, I really think HBO has a certified hit on it's hands. It's way better than the new things produced for the network such as the pacific and that new Walhberg exec produced show. Anyway this is what premium cable is about and I'm glad that they felt like they needed to bring out the big guns. Buschemi is great, and you really don't think of him as you did in Tarantino's work. The narative is a bit confusing if your not familiar with the time period and there quite a few people in this pilot that clocks in at 75mins. I find it interesting and it's nice to have a gangster show that is really well executed.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:21   Link #13
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well the new Hawaii 5-O was good but im waiting for Fringe
Old 2010-09-21, 22:23   Link #14
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm looking forward to the premier of the only American show I watch - Criminal Minds. I didn't bother watching last season's finale after hearing it was disappointing, but I'll give S6 a chance. Pity how the show didn't pick up again after the amazing 100th episode
Old 2010-09-21, 22:30   Link #15
james0246

Detroit-817 was pretty damn good. Eagerly awaiting next episode.

Nothing else was worth watching...(besides the Warehouse 13 season finale ).

Good Wife is coming back next week, so that'll relieve my Tuesday boredom...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 22:40   Link #16
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Detroit-817 was pretty damn good. Eagerly awaiting next episode.

Nothing else was worth watching...(besides the Warehouse 13 season finale ).

Good Wife is coming back next week, so that'll relieve my Tuesday boredom...
There were a couple of cop pilots floating around, Rookie Blue, The good guys, Detroit 817 and Blue Bloods, of the 4 I put my money on Detroit 817 and Blue Bloods (I don't know why but Selleck seems great) Yeah I think tuesday will be my anime catchup day because it really seems lacking in content.
Old 2010-09-21, 22:48   Link #17
Gin
*Artist

Bunch of mediocrity so far, with the possible exception of How I met your Mother. At least Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse are back for new seasons, but I was hoping for some watchable live action shows this fall.
Old 2010-09-21, 23:09   Link #18
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Bunch of mediocrity so far, with the possible exception of How I met your Mother. At least Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse are back for new seasons, but I was hoping for some watchable live action shows this fall.
sad note, Venture Brothers is only 8 new episodes and they gone through two already. Hope the new South Park is on par with last seasons episodes.
Old 2010-09-22, 07:14   Link #19
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Looking forward to Sherlock (Moffat) / Supernatural / Dexter / Fringe . Currently following Vampire Diaries / Merlin / Sons of Anarchy / Entourage . The only new show I picked up is The Gates . Also recently finsihed Hyde / Pschyoville
Old 2010-09-22, 09:10   Link #20
Nosauz

Wow, I just watched the season premiere of Chuck... holy hell has that show gone campy, to my chagrin this show has become NBC's new Heroes, first season was all right and it's been down hill ever since. I guess you can blame the writer's strike but wow the writing is OH SO BAD. I really understand why people think network TV is so bad, because for the most part it is.