Well, it's ok 25 50.00%
Not good 8 16.00%
Superman is ghey 9 18.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-07-01, 22:33   Link #1
bluemist
i am the mist

Superman Returns

Anyone care to talk about the latest movie of the greatest superhero of our time?

In a time when we want superheroes in movies which are all angsty and psycho with cooler darker costumes, here comes classic Superman, with almost the same colorful tone as the 1980's, which seems to be a parallel of Christian savior Jesus Christ, and a being who stands for truth, justice and all that stuff.

Was the movie good or bleh to you?
Old 2006-07-01, 23:22   Link #2
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Well i saw it yesterday and for 2 and a half hours I sat there and not once did the build up of the movie have any resolve the ending was so stupid he
Spoiler:
Although the movie did show Supermans strength that was all it was good for.

The moive was to religous for me watch it and you will undersatnd ............
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 02:37   Link #3
Lost

Well, I am goning to watch it tomorrow night; I'm digging for the good pwning evil and justice-winning-in-the-end themes; I know its so unrealistic in this sick sick world, yet thats exactly why I (and I think many other people) need it so much (for me, especially after Hellywood, I am disillusioned).

Does anyone think that the new face of Superman fit the bill of the classic superhero? I think its quite good; I mean, chiselled jaw and confident stony eyes; yet I do think he looks too cute for Superman
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 03:38   Link #4
jedinat

You're missing the "very entertaining, but a bit lame" choice. I liked the guy who played superman, he was hilarious.

Spoiler:
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 09:04   Link #5
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I wasn't planning on going to see it, but then I saw that it is also being shown in 3D Imax, so I thought I would check that out. (I'm lucky enough to be 5 miles from an Imax theater) Anyone see it in Imax to know if it looks good?
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 12:51   Link #6
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I have to say for a Super Hero movie its probably up there.
Its on level with Spiderman and X-men.

I think the reason why its a success/(fails a little) is the fact it borrows and modernizes the old style of the superman movies with Chris Reeve.

For one I was presently suprised.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 14:45   Link #7
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
I wasn't planning on going to see it, but then I saw that it is also being shown in 3D Imax, so I thought I would check that out. (I'm lucky enough to be 5 miles from an Imax theater) Anyone see it in Imax to know if it looks good?
Yep IMAX is worth it.

Well.. yeah I hesitated between okay and not good.. A particular scene got me off the hook pretty bad. The one where lois and her new boydaddy tries to escape in a hydroplane and can't realy take off.. arg. Pittyfull stupid worthless scene where superman isn't even involved. This is superman for god sake whats the point? Anyway drama was awfull so was the hole armagedon-like plot at the end. Far to easy.

Action was pretty good and so was Clark Kent. Big props for Clark he saved the whole movie imo which is not the case with Kevin Spacy. Kevin Spacy = incredible actor but Not a bad guy. Ever ever anymore. Such a funny baby face for a Lex Luter. ^^
Old 2006-07-03, 01:44   Link #8
aahhsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Anyone care to talk about the latest movie of the greatest superhero of our time?

In a time when we want superheroes in movies which are all angsty and psycho with cooler darker costumes, here comes classic Superman, with almost the same colorful tone as the 1980's, which seems to be a parallel of Christian savior Jesus Christ, and a being who stands for truth, justice and all that stuff.

Was the movie good or bleh to you?
Well... that was superman.. Truth, Justice, and the American Way. He was made during the Cold War I believe. I think you're over thinking the Religious thing too much. Superman is Superman.

But I felt the movie kept draging on and on and on. It just wouldn't conclude with a bang. All it does is show Supes do this, then that, and then this again. We get it! He's Superman!!! We don't need to see him save every single person in the world, just punch Lex Luthor already. Punch Lois Lane too. She's a bitch.

Then there's Lois's kid. Which people who watched it would understand. There was so many plot holes regarding this issue that I can't even start.

I'll just say this. "The Devil Wears Prada" was a much better movie than "Superman Returns".
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 10:33   Link #9
DaFool
Resident devil

Just OK. I'm glad I didn't have to pay more than 100 pesos for that $260+ million movie.

The allusion to Jesus Christ is total B.S. If you want a real Jesus Christ kinda story, watch Gandhi. Sure JC wont make an angsty hero, but the shits he had to go through are similar to plotlines of more angsty shows.

A movie doesn't have to be totally escapist and simplistic to be appealing to downtrodden crowds. It can also be complex and cynical as long as it is warm-hearted in its core. I can't think of any Hollywood example at the moment so I suggest Elfen Lied.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 10:42   Link #10
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Entertaining, in a summer popcorn flick kind of way.

And it's not just you jedinat,
Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-03, 10:44   Link #11
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Well... that was superman.. Truth, Justice, and the American Way. He was made during the Cold War I believe. I think you're over thinking the Religious thing too much. Superman is Superman.
Umm, Superman was created either right before or during the earliest days of World War II.

I didn't see Devil wears Prada this weekend (I wanted to, but we never quite managed to make it out, maybe tomorrow), but I'm pretty sure it's the better of the two movies.
Old 2006-07-03, 11:34   Link #12
Lost

I was appalled at the cannibal scene!!

Quote:
Umm, Superman was created either right before or during the earliest days of World War II.
An anachronism hit me. The Superman of 1940s wouldnt have said that smoking was bad for you. Would he? Haha.. Nice movie on the whole; felt like a simple walk down a path you already know so well Altho,

Spoiler for MAJOR SPOILER:
Old 2006-07-06, 23:51   Link #13
kujoe
from head to heel

A few details would've helped the movie a lot in my opinion.

Spoiler:

So am I to assume that these things happened off-screen? Or am I being too anal? I guess I am. Still, I found the whole movie entertaining overall.

I was hoping that he would punch something though, just for the hell of it. All that strength and not one punch thrown.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-07, 00:35   Link #14
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
I was hoping that he would punch something though, just for the hell of it. All that strength and not one punch thrown.
Man, you made me laugh because I realized something:

Almost all the things Superman did the ENTIRE MOVIE was:
Spoiler for movie events:

Where's all the other stuff? It was so anti-climactic, that last action thing he did. The best sequence was still the very first one (plane crash). I would have preferred more city-tremor chaos.
Old 2006-07-07, 03:43   Link #15
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaki
Just watched it in a Imax and its definitly worth it.

And if they ever make another Superman movie it has to have Doomsday in it. Now that I think about it the only Superman comic I ever read was the death of Superman . But it was badass.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 02:53   Link #16
iceyfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I was appalled at the cannibal scene!!

An anachronism hit me. The Superman of 1940s wouldnt have said that smoking was bad for you. Would he?
smoking is bad for you, but not for me! why you ask? uhh... its because... HELL IM SUPERMAN!! it doesnt affect me at all!

good movie. the cannibal dog scene was like ew ew ew. that guy looked like christopher reeves..
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-08, 09:42   Link #17
Ending

Quote:
Does anyone think that the new face of Superman fit the bill of the classic superhero? I think its quite good; I mean, chiselled jaw and confident stony eyes; yet I do think he looks too cute for Superman
Same. The actor lacks that blocky mascule build with corners and chiseled muscles. I haven't seen the movie, never will, but the ads make him look just... boyish.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 09:01   Link #18
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Yep IMAX is worth it.

Well.. yeah I hesitated between okay and not good.. A particular scene got me off the hook pretty bad. The one where lois and her new boydaddy tries to escape in a hydroplane and can't realy take off.. arg. Pittyfull stupid worthless scene where superman isn't even involved. This is superman for god sake whats the point? Anyway drama was awfull so was the hole armagedon-like plot at the end. Far to easy.

Action was pretty good and so was Clark Kent. Big props for Clark he saved the whole movie imo which is not the case with Kevin Spacy. Kevin Spacy = incredible actor but Not a bad guy. Ever ever anymore. Such a funny baby face for a Lex Luter. ^^
Agreed. Kevin Spacey does not has the megalomaniac villain spark on him. I would have casted Anthony Hopkins for the role instead. Though I must admit that he's little better on the role than Gene Hackman.

I watched the movie Friday on 3D IMAX screen, and like everybody else has previously expressed it is worth the visual experience.

Granted, the whole film felt dragged with all of those soap opera moments particularly...
Spoiler:

The only thing I'm grateful that did not kill the plot was that the scripwriters chose not to fill the movie with excessive flashback after flashback.

For those who have seen the movies or at least read some of the comics, they should have a pretty idea about Superman's origins, how he crash landed on Earth as a toddler, and who took care of him.

And I agree that the plot holes were rather confusing and made felt the movie disjointed.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-10, 12:17   Link #19
Lost

Yep, boyish, thats the word. But it was okay for me after watching the show. I felt that the expressions he carried were quite fitting for Superman. Just the whole eyes and that evil way he smiled when the bullet bonged off his eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Spoiler:
I felt that that was pretty much a useless tribute to the old Superman.

Spoiler for imo the most riduculous thing in the show:
Only Louis Lane.
Old 2006-07-10, 14:42   Link #20
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

I thought the movie was entertaining, but definitely not a worthy sequel in terms of plotline, and it definitely did not seem to be a movie deemed as the most expensive movie ever made at 250+ billion dollars. I was actually kind of bored during some parts. One thing is for sure, this movie is definitely not up there with Spider-man series. What this movie lacks is an actual conflict.

In other superhero movies, you have a villain that is physically or ability-wise as strong or even stronger than the hero to make a good fight and conflict. I know some of you would probably say that psychological warfare can also work if the enemy is weak. Well, that only works with Batman movies since he's a friggin detective AND he's human. Superman is the friggin strongest man in the world, you can't just ave him standing there just LOOKING at Luthor half the movie. You need a scifi villain that can put up a good fight and made using the 200+ billion dollars budget. That's what the fans wanted to see.

What made Spider-man a successful series was that it had drama AND a fight-worthy supervillain to put on a good show for us viewers. The only action sequences in Superman was him carrying stuff. Hardly a conflict or even n obstacle for the man of steel.

Another inconsistency is the case of the kryptonite land mass. The first time he landed on the thing, he could barely stand. Then he attempted to CARRY the ENTIRE THING with KRYPTONITE SONES RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM, and actually attempted to throw it into outer space. WTF?! Keep in mind that he still has a piece of Kryptonite shard in his body at the time. With him throwing it out into space, Kryptonite infused rocks and all, I'm hoping to see a Doomsday story in the next movie to realy fire things up.

One last question...
Spoiler:
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote