AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-11-15, 11:22   Link #1
.Incarnate//
Such is life

Unfairly killing off a character

Ok, i know that certain characters have to be killed off to further progress and develop the storyline but i would have to say killing off the sand kage was not a good move for loads of reasons imo and they killed off his character in a very very very stupid way imo.

When i first saw the sand kage and saw gaara's story i started to picture the current and future relationship between gaara and his dad, they could've made it rival the sasuke and itachi relationship imo?! can u see why i hate to see a good character killed off when they could've improved the story imo,
like if gaara and sand kage were to meet again anything interesting could've happened but instead they just killed him off so we'll never know.

I mean, they show us fights likes sakura v ino and that Aoi one and even mizuki v naruto but they choose not to show us a kage level fight?!; sand kage v oro match.....very logical.....

I really wanted to see the sand kage in action but he got robbed of his spotlight imo.

p.s. u should all listen to a song called MAPS from YEAH YEAH YEAHS, i keep rinsing it and it don't get old
.Incarnate// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 11:59   Link #2
HopelessLover

Too be honest with you I was surprised when they revealed that the sand kage was assasinated. I atleast thought he should of had a fight scene prior to his death, so it could of added beef to the over all plot of the story.

Oh and I forgot, who took him out?
HopelessLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 12:01   Link #3
_Cyberwiesel__

True i wanted to see this action to because we haven't seen much sand village jutsus especial high lvl jutsus .

And we could say how strong the kazekage in comparison to the 3rd was.
_Cyberwiesel__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 12:44   Link #4
Ponko

I really would have liked to learn more about the Kazekage. He almost seemed as much as a victim as Gaara in someways. His village was in danger of becoming extinct because of the Wind Lord, so the Kazekage was desperately trying to come up with ways to save his village. Gaara was one way, and restoring the Sand's reputation was another. Not that I think he did the right thing, but he sounds like a guy who put his village before his family, but was being screwed no matter what he did.

I actually want to know more about his family life as well. Like did he intend for his wife to die, or was it just something he did not expect when Gaara was born? And his relationship with all three of his children, not just Gaara, would be interesting. I hope in the future they have some character development with Temari and Kankuro that maybe reveals a bit about their relationship with their father. It would be interesting to know their reaction when they found out their father was dead.

Baki seemed incredibly loyal to the Kazekage as well. Maybe he was well liked in his village as well, or maybe Baki is just a loyal guy. I forget where, but in a profile I read it said that the Kazekage's ninja skill was possession. Does anyone know if that is true, or if they were only saying that because of the stuff with Gaara?

I also laugh because the Kazekage looks really short. ^___^ Not a good sign if Gaara ever hopes to stop being called shrimp.
Ponko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 12:47   Link #5
sinistral
SOS団

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Oh and I forgot, who took him out?
Orochimaru or maybe his subordinates.
sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 12:52   Link #6
kboykb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral
Orochimaru or maybe his subordinates.
Definitely either Orochimaru, or Orochimaru *with* Kabuto so the fight wouldn't take too long. Orochimaru couldn't risk getting hurt before the invasion.

Spoiler:
kboykb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 13:27   Link #7
.Incarnate//
Such is life

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Cyberwiesel__
True i wanted to see this action to because we haven't seen much sand village jutsus especial high lvl jutsus .
Exactly, it's like them killing off shino or neji or even anko without seeing there true potential or even ultimate jutsus or just plain character development. I didn't care about dosu doh lol

Last edited by .Incarnate//; 2004-11-15 at 14:04.
Old 2004-11-15, 13:34   Link #8
J_san

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboykb
Definitely either Orochimaru, or Orochimaru *with* Kabuto so the fight wouldn't take too long. Orochimaru couldn't risk getting hurt before the invasion.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
J_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 14:29   Link #9
MysticNinjaJay
Ninja Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Incarnate//
Exactly, it's like them killing off shino or neji or even anko without seeing there true potential or even ultimate jutsus or just plain character development. I didn't care about dosu doh lol
I would have liked to see what else Dosu was capable of. It seems that he only had one attack and thats the only one we are ever going to see but it was a good one. He is probably one of the few people who could have given regular Gaara problems because his attacks would go right through that thin sand and effect his inner ear.

As far as Kazekage goes, yeah the man's character was wasted. Subtle things like Temari's cross look at Kazekage made me wander what she thought of her father. His general badass nature when he and the 3rd Hokage were sitting down having a conversation (even though that was ofcourse Orochimaru doing the talking in disguise).

He was an intruiging character who was at the very least important to Gaara and the Sand nin trio. His character design was also far superior to the Hokage design. This makes me wander if we will ever even see the rest of the Kages if one who seemed somewhat important gets thown away like trash. Whats it say about Naruto's ambition to be Hokage if the Kages in general aren't glorified a little bit as superior ninja? Kishimoto should have in some way displayed Kazekage as the awesome charcter he appeared to be. Fans deserved atleast a fight, not a disgraceful death scene. Kishimoto should redeem that loss somehow. Perhaps have someone replace Kazekage like say have his brother ascend to the position and be more ruthless than he was (another bad uncle for Gaara to contend with)? I atleast hope Kishimoto doesn't throw away good characters like that again, its a travesty.
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 15:09   Link #10
Shrimpusmaximus

The kazekage hasn't been discarded in the least. He is no longer alive in the storyline but the impact that he has had on the characters is not gone in the least. He might have at one time been a loving father and that all changed when blank and blank happened, he could have been an demanding jerk that Temari and Kankuro despise. Just because the character is dead doesn't mean they are dead to the other characters. In many cases the characters that are already dead have the most impact on the characters that we really do care about. Namely the sand trio.

It seems that the majority of the gripes are that we were deprived of a Kage level battle. Okay I can see this as irritating but I'm not sure taking every opportunity to fight naruto style is the best as their fights are not brief. I would have rather seen an improvement in their fight choreography than addition of meaningless, or tertiary combats. And if the manga is the question well, I have gotten goosebumps from a few fights but none of them involved none main characters.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 15:26   Link #11
MysticNinjaJay
Ninja Emperor

But the thing is the Sand trio are supporting characters. Gaara seemed to compare himself so much to Sasuke that he even mentioned having a fellow nemesis like Itachi who caused his painful existence. That was obviously Kazekage. We don't get to see the impact he has one those characters at all he's just dead, thats makes 2 Kage down out of 5 as Kabuto said. I agree that another Kage battle would have disrupted the pace of the story so it wasn't necessary, but he was still killed off. Killing off someone like Dosu is understandable but even Dosu got a death scene howeevr breif it was. Kazekage just got a dead body scene. Thankfully he got even that but his impact wasn't felt enough imo. I loved the Sand trio and I hope we get to see the emergence of another Kazekage.
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 15:53   Link #12
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurikenJay
But the thing is the Sand trio are supporting characters. Gaara seemed to compare himself so much to Sasuke that he even mentioned having a fellow nemesis like Itachi who caused his painful existence. That was obviously Kazekage. We don't get to see the impact he has one those characters at all he's just dead, thats makes 2 Kage down out of 5 as Kabuto said. I agree that another Kage battle would have disrupted the pace of the story so it wasn't necessary, but he was still killed off. Killing off someone like Dosu is understandable but even Dosu got a death scene howeevr breif it was. Kazekage just got a dead body scene. Thankfully he got even that but his impact wasn't felt enough imo. I loved the Sand trio and I hope we get to see the emergence of another Kazekage.
Spoiler:
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 15:57   Link #13
hiko

Who says Kishimoto is done with the Kazekage character?

Spoiler for Possible manga spoiler:

I've seen nothing to suggest that we won't get more Sand character development in the future and Kazekage could be intrinsicly bound to that. His death has provided ample enough motivation for an inevitable clash between Sand and Sound at some point in the story, and when all that shit hits the fan we may well get some Kage level action between Oro and Dosu (although I'd imagine it was a sneaky take down as Kage level fights ain't exactly low profile) shown in a flashback.

Naruto has always relied heavily on flashbacks, so I think it's too early to claim the Kazekage was underdeveloped just yet.
hiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 15:57   Link #14
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

I completely disagree, Kishimoto put the down the character of Kazekage as a powerhungry villian. Not exactly the most original type if you ask me....let alone " intruiging". This, sadly, remains a personal opinion ofcourse.

Thank god he was killed by Orochimaru. Now before anyone whines about a Kage being so easily killed, remember that the man who killed him also killed the famous 3rd Hokage a.k.a. the "professor" of Jutsu's. Since that's the case, killing a kage with no (known to us) status, AND probably having the element of suprise, doesn't seem like a big suprise to me.

Furthermore I doubt his so called "impact" on the storyline, Kishimoto made him a bastard for a reason: to forget his sorry ass, as soon as possible.
Gaara's flashbacks scarcely covered the Kazekage, and quite frankly I think the sand-trio will get little time for flashbacks about their youth, especially since the most important of the three: Gaara, his past has already been shown.

The man died a quick dead in airtime. To call him intruiging is like saying Birdman is intruiging, which we all know he isn't....

Old 2004-11-15, 16:02   Link #15
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
Yeah well, I guess Kazekage's character was wasted a tiny bit. Would have been a bit better if we saw his assasination...
Then again, his character didnt influence the story that much...he only influenced it in death. Maybe we will get to see some other kage's in the future though...
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 16:07   Link #16
kboykb

Psh, Birdman was the most intruiging character of all the old school super heroes. BIIIRDDDDD - MAANNNNN

Nah - Space Ghost pwns 'em all.

About the Kazekage, it didn't upset me because I'm very interested in all the kages. Any ninja that is sannin level is up really makes me want to know about them. He did seem to be a pretty bad-ass character, especially when he looked Gaara down in the village.

I think he should've at least gotten a little air-time. Hopefully we'll get to know about the other kages pretty soon, and have some of them get some air time.
kboykb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 16:55   Link #17
.Incarnate//
Such is life

It doesn't make sense how kishimoto dealt with sand kage's death, especially when kazekage and gaara's relationship is basically the equilivant of sasuke and itachi's imo and i really doubt he would kill off Itachi but killing off a kage/gaara's dad/gaara's nemisis.....do u get me?

What gets me is that there are much less interesting, important, powerful characters that have had been developed and showcased more so than the best ninja in the sand village. Who's to say that we will not see kazakage developed after death but atm it seems unlikely to happen imo. Kishimoto just have so much potential characters in this show so some characters will be overshadowed but to kill off a Kage?! in that manner, especially when he could've brought many other aspects in the story was kinda dissapointing imo.
Old 2004-11-15, 17:15   Link #18
Shrimpusmaximus

Acually I think that Yashamaru was more of the Itachi foil to Gaara. Gaara has similarities to sasuke but he is really naruto's dark reflection. Sasuke and naruto click because they are unalike, naruto doesn't understand sasukes motivations, read ch 234 I think, however he is terrified by Gaara because he sees one step between them.

Gaara has by no means recovered but his father is never the one that he wanted to love him. He never wanted his affection, and the night Gaara became Gaara who loves himself had nothing to do with the Kazekage.

Also the realtionship between Itachi and Sasuke was one of aborted affection and competition for a fathers praise. Gaara never wanted a fathers praise all he wanted was to end the isolation.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 17:26   Link #19
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
this may be true, that the Sand kage has too little of a role in furthering the storyline, but kishimoto really has too many characters as it is... if he keeps adding more and more he cannot develop the other characters as well.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-15, 18:03   Link #20
Kayess
Guy From Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Incarnate//
Ok, i know that certain characters have to be killed off to further progress and develop the storyline but i would have to say killing off the sand kage was not a good move for loads of reasons imo and they killed off his character in a very very very stupid way imo.

When i first saw the sand kage and saw gaara's story i started to picture the current and future relationship between gaara and his dad, they could've made it rival the sasuke and itachi relationship imo?! can u see why i hate to see a good character killed off when they could've improved the story imo,
like if gaara and sand kage were to meet again anything interesting could've happened but instead they just killed him off so we'll never know.

I mean, they show us fights likes sakura v ino and that Aoi one and even mizuki v naruto but they choose not to show us a kage level fight?!; sand kage v oro match.....very logical.....

I really wanted to see the sand kage in action but he got robbed of his spotlight imo.

p.s. u should all listen to a song called MAPS from YEAH YEAH YEAHS, i keep rinsing it and it don't get old
It is a subtle thing that the creator did to show orochimaru's power. Not only did he kill a kage (kazekage), he also killed the guards and the kage WITHOUT anyone else knowing. That means he did it quickly and silently. Think of the Sarutobi/Oro fight... The entire battlefield was twisted because of the fight (trees everywhere, floods, gigantic wall out of no where)... There were no major signs of a battle happening with the kazekage. If there had been, there would have been signs for other shinobi to pick up on and fight out the kazekage was dead long before the chuunin exam.
Kayess is offline   Reply With Quote