Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2004-11-12, 11:19   Link #1
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Send a message via Yahoo to 音楽は死んだ
Cant Play WMV files

Okay since no one is even viewing the KeinikuSuki's End All(?), "My Codecs are Screwed Up" Guide thread, it screwed up my computer's ability to play WMV files. Is there any way to fix this?
Old 2004-11-12, 11:30   Link #2
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 音楽は死んだ
Okay since no one is even viewing the KeinikuSuki's End All(?), "My Codecs are Screwed Up" Guide thread, it screwed up my computer's ability to play WMV files. Is there any way to fix this?
When I ever encounter problems like these I just do a simple system restore.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Old 2004-11-12, 16:21   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm not sure what's in the thread you referred to, but I do believe I know the fix for your problem.

Go here to get the WMV9 Codec - even if you have WMP Series 9 installed on your system, do it anyway. I did a fresh install of WinXP SP2 and I had to install this to make WMV files work, so go figure.

Just scroll down and download the one that matches your OS. It won't install a player, just the codec. If that doesn't fix your issue, post back here.
Old 2004-11-12, 16:54   Link #4
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Reformating isnt an option, if thats the effect of using that guide its dangerous and should be mentioned in big bold letters. "BTW THIS WILL FUCK UP YOUR CODECS TO THE POINT WHERE YOU WILL NEED TO REFORMAT" ~_~

And I dont have windows media player, I havent had it since I uninstalled it 2 years ago.
Old 2004-11-12, 16:59   Link #5
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Well, I doubt that whether the player's installed or not should matter. Regardless, the link I gave you is purely for the WMV9 codec, NOT the Windows Media Player. It should fix your problem.
Old 2004-11-12, 17:35   Link #6
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Well, I doubt that whether the player's installed or not should matter. Regardless, the link I gave you is purely for the WMV9 codec, NOT the Windows Media Player. It should fix your problem.
tried before I posted, it dosent work
Old 2004-11-12, 21:21   Link #7
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Please provide the following info so we can better identify what is causing the problem.

1. Which WMP do you have? version 9 or 10?
2. Is this with all WMV files or on a streaming video site? If it's a site, please provide link. If you DL it, is it a valid file? Some point to streaming video site. Can you describe what happens (error messages, downloading codec..., etc) when you run a WMV file.
-> go to albinoblacksheep.com and try viewing any wmv encoded file. does it work?
3. Is the WMV DCMA encoded? Do you have the right license key?
4. What is your OS and patch level? (e.g. XP sp1, XP sp2, etc).
5. Which CODEC pack(s) did you install?
-> for example, did you install the Matroska WMV codec?
Old 2004-11-13, 11:24   Link #8
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Oni I already said I dont use any windows media player at all, its BS player for me or Winamp.
I just have tried regualr run of the mill WMV vids that I have been playing for years, there is no key or anything like that for them.
The error I get is no combination of filters can decode the file.
And my OS is Windows ME 4.90.3
And all I had installed before was FFDshow and the AC3 audio codecs, I couldent play MKV stuff so thats why I tried that guide in the first place.
Old 2004-11-13, 12:00   Link #9
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

If you went through that guide; you've probably unregistered the filters that handle WMV files, you could try running through the guide again up to the point you unregistered the filters and click the "Re-Register System Filters" button. The guide is meant as a "last resort" not the first step in fixing codec problems ...

The program should then search your hard disk for any filters and register them. It will take a while but it should find the filters that it previously unregistered. I'm not 100% convinced it does (so do it at your own risk), but I can't think of another solution (that doesn't involve you doing the same by hand ... i.e. searching for the WMV filter dlls and register them manually, which is do-able).

Also, try loading the video in GSpot and tell us what it tells you about the codecs you have installed.
Old 2004-11-13, 12:54   Link #10
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
If you went through that guide; you've probably unregistered the filters that handle WMV files, you could try running through the guide again up to the point you unregistered the filters and click the "Re-Register System Filters" button. The guide is meant as a "last resort" not the first step in fixing codec problems ...

The program should then search your hard disk for any filters and register them. It will take a while but it should find the filters that it previously unregistered. I'm not 100% convinced it does (so do it at your own risk), but I can't think of another solution (that doesn't involve you doing the same by hand ... i.e. searching for the WMV filter dlls and register them manually, which is do-able).

Also, try loading the video in GSpot and tell us what it tells you about the codecs you have installed.
Yea it was kinda hard to miss the huge red letters saying it was a last resort, lol. And it was, after following the Media configeration guide to try and be able to play MKVs EVERYTHING wasnt working. Couldent even play avis that were encoded in xvid after I had reinstalled ffdshow and got rid of everything I could think of it did to my codecs.

I already tired re-running Zoomplayer and using the re-register system filters, that was the first thing I did. I tried removing any of the MKV filters in the list after I could see, still didnt work, just went back to the same way it was before where nothing worked.

Whats GSpot?
Old 2004-11-13, 12:59   Link #11
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

GSpot is a tool mentioned in one of the posts of the Media Configeration Guide thread.
Old 2004-11-13, 18:31   Link #12
音楽は死んだ
Boobies˛ = Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish
That seems like its for problems with a single video that wont play, my problem is that nothing plays when it comes to wmv files.
Old 2004-11-13, 18:47   Link #13
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Yes but if every video fails to play, then each video that won't play is a single video that won't play. You can apply the same deductive processes. GSpot will allow you to look at the video file (or a set of them if you try it for more than one video) and work out what the system (i.e. the video players) will do to render it. That is, it will explain which codecs are being used and if applicable (as it is in your case) where it is failing to find a suitable codec.

You might have a problem with all you files, but if you don't start with one or two you'll never get anywhere in discovering what exactly is causing the problem. You may think you know because you removed them all, but that is an assumption. It's much easier to work from the ground up on facts and information that tools, known to work, give you. Especially if you don't really know what the system is doing when it tries to read the files.

Not only that, the program will also list all available video and audio codecs using the same methods players use. This will let you see the codecs available from the player's perspective rather than any other behind the scenes hack that might not be reliable.
Old 2004-11-13, 19:28   Link #14
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Did you Check your FFDShow settings and see if WMV is enabled?

Run FFDSHOW Configuration
- Codecs
- WMV1/7 - libavcodec
- WMV2/8 - libavcodec

FFDSHOW will decode but some Codec packs will disable it. If you did install the WMV9 codec, then just toggle it back to ffdshow.