AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-10-15, 10:14   Link #1
Scy

[GSD] Shin looks too much like Kira.....

I am having difficulty telling those two people apart. While seeing the opening and ending, I could hardly identify who is who.
I know that the hair color is the easilest way to identify them, but even that is difficult to see sometimes.
Is anyone else having this problem?
Scy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 10:23   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Alright, I don't mean to be disrespectful but even I who have problems with my eyesight can tell them apart really easily. They DO look alike, yes, but not so much alike that it is difficult to tell them apart unless you have a really bad memory or something like that. I NEVER thought that Shinn was Kira in any of the promos or anything like that - I instantly thought to myself "that's not Kira".

And the hair colour is certainly not the easiest way - the eye colour is.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 10:56   Link #3
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Alright, I don't mean to be disrespectful but even I who have problems with my eyesight can tell them apart really easily. They DO look alike, yes, but not so much alike that it is difficult to tell them apart unless you have a really bad memory or something like that. I NEVER thought that Shinn was Kira in any of the promos or anything like that - I instantly thought to myself "that's not Kira".

Maybe whenever Kira and Shin appear in the same episode they could have both characters cry.

That way whichever character is the one I want to slam a pick-axe into I know it's Kira.
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 20:15   Link #4
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Don't you friggin dare. Kira wasn't that annoying, you try, without military training, to experience what happened to him and not be traumatised.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 20:23   Link #5
Naiji

Kira might have been annoying, but it did go well if you followed the story line. (about crying issue)
Naiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-15, 20:37   Link #6
wao
OK.

Well, is there really that much of a difference between Kenichi Suzumura's crying and Souichiro Hoshi's crying? I suppose I like Suzumura's a bit more...

But what I can't stand is Tetsu Shiratori's crying :x (Kouji in Infinite Ryvius. He voiced Sai in SEED)

In some ways I mistake Kira and Shin... but would you believe that I mixed up SHin and Athrun in the OP? I seriously was going "WTF are Athrun and Cagalli doing naked?!?"... >_> I maintain that Shin looks like a lovechild of Kira and Athrun... just the difference in eye colour.

I think we'll get used to seeing the difference between Kira and Shin though. I almost said "differentiating". What about integrating?
Old 2004-10-15, 20:51   Link #7
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Well, is there really that much of a difference between Kenichi Suzumura's crying and Souichiro Hoshi's crying? I suppose I like Suzumura's a bit more...

But what I can't stand is Tetsu Shiratori's crying :x (Kouji in Infinite Ryvius. He voiced Sai in SEED)

In some ways I mistake Kira and Shin... but would you believe that I mixed up SHin and Athrun in the OP? I seriously was going "WTF are Athrun and Cagalli doing naked?!?"... >_> I maintain that Shin looks like a lovechild of Kira and Athrun... just the difference in eye colour.

I think we'll get used to seeing the difference between Kira and Shin though. I almost said "differentiating". What about integrating?
Well Shin cried out after his whole family was killed in front of him, so I'm willing to give him a little slack. Where as 90% of the time Kira cried in seed it sounded like someone was choking a cat to death.

And yea, Athrun+Kira=Shin. I swear it's like Hisashi Hirai has one of those flip-book sketch-artist things like the police have with different hair-styles, faces, noses, mouth, etc... and he just flips thru it to create a new character from like a dozen different variety of parts.
Old 2004-10-15, 22:35   Link #8
InsiderGamer

Quote:

While many can easily discern between Kira and Shin, there is still a great deal of people that have difficulty in their differentiation. The point is, the anime shouldn't have to make the viewer look carefully and pick apart their differences. Unless the designers had some ulterior motive behind making his appearance similar to Kira (and/or Athrun), it's just an indication of bad character design.

~IG

Last edited by InsiderGamer; 2004-10-15 at 23:04.
InsiderGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 01:11   Link #9
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Well Shin cried out after his whole family was killed in front of him, so I'm willing to give him a little slack. Where as 90% of the time Kira cried in seed it sounded like someone was choking a cat to death.

And yea, Athrun+Kira=Shin. I swear it's like Hisashi Hirai has one of those flip-book sketch-artist things like the police have with different hair-styles, faces, noses, mouth, etc... and he just flips thru it to create a new character from like a dozen different variety of parts.
But still, I did read the comment someone else said about Fukuda basically owning the show and that Hisashi Hirai was told to make his designs like that and it wasn't under his control. There is no proof to this but I'd like to believe it, because Hirai's designs for Infinite Ryvius were more varied than that in SEED. Okay, fine, Aiba Yuuki may look like Kira and Aiba Kouji a dead ringer for SHinji from Eva, but other than that...

Of course there's the thing that if it wasn't Hirai's choice to have so many lookalikes in Destiny, then why does Kazuki from Soukyuu no Fafner look fairly similar to Kira/Shin and, more obviously, Maya from the same show look so similar to Miriallia. But then again, Soushi doesn't look like anyone else so far.

I should go listen to Akira Ishida's crying. I don't even remember what it sounded like but I remember I didn't mind it as much as Souichirou Hoshi's.

EDIT: Of course there's the thing about face shape, but there's been bajillions of anime where the face shape is largely similar. It's much easier to draw, trust me... Also, it's not like Hisashi Hirai can't come up with other face shapes, a number of older, secondary characters in anime he's worked on don't have the same face shape. Now if you want my personal opinion, character designs I don't like would be the ones from Mari-mite. Arrrgh.
Old 2004-10-16, 02:48   Link #10
Evan
天使我爱你

I agree that Shinn looks too much like kira...

They even look like Kazuki from Fafner!! Argh!!!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 12:10   Link #11
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Of course there's the thing that if it wasn't Hirai's choice to have so many lookalikes in Destiny, then why does Kazuki from Soukyuu no Fafner look fairly similar to Kira/Shin and, more obviously, Maya from the same show look so similar to Miriallia. But then again, Soushi doesn't look like anyone else so far.

I should go listen to Akira Ishida's crying. I don't even remember what it sounded like but I remember I didn't mind it as much as Souichirou Hoshi's.
I always thought Soushi looked like Cagalli
Old 2004-10-17, 01:30   Link #12
AOforever1

Send a message via AIM to AOforever1 Send a message via MSN to AOforever1
Hey, it's the same artist who designed the original GS obviously.
Kira and Shin do look alike, but you can tell them apart.

The similar characters actually add to the plot of the squel in my point of view so far into the series.
AOforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 01:56   Link #13
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
I always thought Soushi looked like Cagalli
What?! Nos!! He doesn't, come on, he has a longer face, the hair is much longer and quite a different colour, does not stick out so much, and Soushi always has a rather differetn expression from Cagalli.
Old 2004-10-21, 02:51   Link #14
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

They are totally different. I don't get why people can't tell if the character in the mid-ep interlude is Kira or Shin (When Lacus throws him the Haro). Shin's hair is black, more wavy and messy and has a few parts sticking upwards and his eyes are red. Kira's hair is brown, and is totally straight and clean and every strand goes downwards. But even though Kira's face looks the same from SEED, I can see that his design is somewhat more mature (along with many of the old characters) than Shin, who looks a little more childish.
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 02:53   Link #15
katon
Some random dude

In the beginning, I do thought they look alike. Now as time goes by, I can tell the difference, heh.
Old 2004-10-21, 03:20   Link #16
Evan
天使我爱你

Well,I still can't tell the difference between them. *slaps head* lol

Shinn's hair color should be white,that way he will looks bishie~
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 06:18   Link #17
OMchan
オムちゃん

Shinn sometimes looks like Kira... well actually, the only time I think he looks like Kira is when I look at my sig. :P

Kimi ni Todoke
OMchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 06:31   Link #18
rorosama

I 100% agree with the poster. They look to much alike unless like someone above said, their may be a reason they look alike but i doubt it. cagalli and that new blonde girl also look too much alike in my opinion. Inuyasha's character facial features were a lot alike but you could easily differentiate between the characters. In gs:d it's getting a little cluttered with many look alikes.
rorosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:33   Link #19
Lunchboxx

Send a message via AIM to Lunchboxx Send a message via MSN to Lunchboxx Send a message via Yahoo to Lunchboxx
I Also have alot of Trouble telling the diffrence between Shinn and Kira, Especiallly in the OP it get confusing sometimes. Also am I the only one that has problems telling the diffrence between Cagalli and the New Blonde GUNDAM Pillot in the OP, I have no problem durring the show becuase they wear diffrent cloths and act alot diffrent but in the op it can be confusing. Like Im Not sure if its Kira or Shinn but they are like Naked together and at first I thought it was Cagalli and Kira...but that just be wierd.
Lunchboxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-21, 09:38   Link #20
JohnSilver
MS Technician

Send a message via MSN to JohnSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Don't you friggin dare. Kira wasn't that annoying, you try, without military training, to experience what happened to him and not be traumatised.
*coughAmuroRaycough* anyways...

Shinn does look like Kira, but you quickly figure out the difference due to A) the hair color and form, b) because Shinn is not whining all the time.
JohnSilver is offline   Reply With Quote