AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2023-01-16, 17:24   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1072 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's time to break in the new year with some more OP goodness! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Weight of Memories". The ministory still focuses on the MADS flashback as Queen, Judge, and Caesar are busy creating weapons.

-Speaking of MADS, the chapter starts with a journal entry from Vegapunk's time there, saying he views his experiment (only referred to as "her") as a real human, and expects her to be the first step towards world peace. In the lab, we see Bonney's DF ability at work, as she manipulates her own and Vegapunk's ages (the latter by extracting star-shaped gems from his body). Vegapunk (now a baby) tries to explain that he can't tell her why Kuma chose to become a machine, because the full story is too painful.... plus, he promised Kuma that he wouldn't reveal the truth to her. However, Bonney discovers a room with a bear paw mark on the door, and she busts her way in! Here, we get a brief flashback between Kuma and Vegapunk. The doctor brings up a hypothesis from a West Blue scientist that a human soul has "weight". He also explains how Kuma's DF power works: He can give non-physical objects a physical form by materializing signals sent to the nervous system. This was demonstrated when he extracted Luffy's pain at Thriller Bark, though he's also capable of extracting thoughts and memories. In fact, Vegapunk wanted to conduct an experiment on Kuma by having him extract his own memories.... the doc's intentions being to weigh them. Back in the present, a mass of Kuma's energy is contained in the room she broke into, which she knows are her father's memories. At the same time as she approaches it, we see Kuma getting assaulted by the marines at the Red Line. Bonney is about to touch the memory, against Vegapunk's dire warnings.....

-Back outside, as Zoro takes on Kaku, we learn that the giraffe man, like Lucci, has an awakened form! However, also like Lucci, it soon becomes apparent that Kaku's still no match for his nemesis! The Seraphims appear at the lab as well, seemingly against CP0's orders. This worries them, as Vegapunk still holds higher authority over them than CP0 does. Thus, they order the Seraphims to destroy the lab before the doctor or his clones make contact with them! As the attack on the lab starts, someone bites Kaku's neck, making him pass out. It turns out this was the doing of Stussy, who seems to have a sort of vampire-like form. She says she'll make Lucci sleep, as well. We then find out her true identity: She's a CLONE, the first one ever successfully created by MADS. What's more, she's a clone of a former Rocks pirate, BUCKINGHAM STUSSY....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-01-18 at 18:35.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-16, 17:59   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was obvious Stussy was hiding a big secret, but that certainly wasn't on my list. It explains why she's familiar with Egghead.
Old 2023-01-16, 18:33   Link #3
marvelB

I so hope Kaku's awakened form looks goofier in comparison to Lucci's. Like he ends up resembling the awakened jailers from Impel Down more than anything.

Also, about Stussy, I'm already seeing some speculation elsewhere that the former Rocks pirate she may have been cloned from is.... Miss Bakkin, aka the mother of Edward Weevil. Not sure I'm fully behind that theory, but I DO recall Marco saying that she supposedly had some history with Whitebeard.... which I think in retrospect would make sense if they were former crewmates. But that also brings up the question of whether or not she was that lady scientist who joined MADS, since she had a strong resemblance to Stussy. And if they truly are one in the same, I think that raises some more questions as to Weevil's exact origins.....

Edit: Welp, a little more info came out, and it's pretty much confirmed to be Bakkin (or more accurately, Bucking), all right. That thing with Kuma extracting memories sounds pretty wild, too... could that be an awakened ability?

Last edited by marvelB; 2023-01-16 at 23:14.
Old 2023-01-16, 21:08   Link #4
Gerard07

Having seen the spoilers, Kuma's ability is explained (although it is not said how he uses it, is it?), Kaku awakened his fruit (it's only been 2 years since he ate it, right?) but even so he is no match for Zoro and Sstudy has a relationship with the Rocks Pirates, it will be interesting to see how things will turn out, wait for more spoilers.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-17, 08:30   Link #5
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I find it so odd the arc featuring the Emperor crew full of Zoans had zero confirmed awakening, and we're getting two in the arc right after. I assume that will be cleared up in a future SBS, because there's no way people won't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Edit: Welp, a little more info came out, and it's pretty much confirmed to be Bakkin (or more accurately, Bucking), all right. That thing with Kuma extracting memories sounds pretty wild, too... could that be an awakened ability?
If she used to be part of Rocks' crew and was such a looker, that makes Weevil a lot more likely to be Whitebeard's son. On the other hand, he looks way too ugly and dumb to be their actual son. I'm rather curious why she of all people was cloned, unless there are other cloned Rocks members around.
Old 2023-01-17, 08:45   Link #6
Homura7

The more we do learn about DF awakening, the bigger the evidence that Kaido had yet to awaken his because he couldn't die...
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-17, 13:14   Link #7
hyuugalegacy
Otaku, author wannabe

Sounds interesting. I think I can agree to the bakkin clone theory, mainly because I don't think it would be that good writing saying this person is a clone of someone who is not relevant (especially if they are revealing it so soon). The whole idea of Kuma being able to pull out memories, this is obviously going to play a clear part in bringing him back to himself. Zoro beating Kaku was obvious. Something I've always felt is that once a villain has been beaten once, you lose all sense of fear of them. I think they can only really be used as a bench mark to show the MC growth.
Old 2023-01-17, 19:02   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Full summary is out, and the early spoilers left out the juiciest part as usual.

Kaku seems to have a Hagoromo as well, so I guess it'll be the telltale sign of Zoan awakening.

Bonney's power is even more OP than we thought. It's not just controlling a person's age, she can basically pick whatever possible future she wants for herself (she turns super buff apparently) and I'm guessing she can do it with others with awakening. Remember all those "good timeline", "bad timeline" drawings for the SHs Oda did? That might just be plot relevant.

Kuma flashback will start soon, with Bonney experiencing her father's memory. Safe bet he isn't actually her father.

Stussy seems to have some vampire DF and seemingly turns against Lucci and Kaku! She is not just any clone, she is the very first successful human clone.
Old 2023-01-18, 06:41   Link #9
Homura7

https://ibb.co/x8GqSMC

"How many decades ago?"
Old 2023-01-18, 18:45   Link #10
marvelB

Alright, OP fully updated! Boy, this is a wild chapter. Memories made manifest, clones, more awakenings... so much to take in, lol. Still, that being said, I don't really have much to add to what I already said earlier about the connection between this Stussy and Weevil's mother. Does this make Weevil a clone too, or did (original) Stussy and WB really get busy and make a kid the old fashioned way? So many questions....

Oh, and I guess awakened Kaku, much like Lucci, doesn't look that much different, after all. Wish he could've used Pasta Machine again though, lol.
Old 2023-01-18, 21:13   Link #11
Gerard07

In the end, the condition for awakening the Akuma no mi is that the user is VERY close to death but still survives.
I'm a bit surprised that Kaku has already awakened his fruit even though he only ate it 2 years ago (he's been an Akuma no mi user for a relatively short time) while other users have been around longer and have had experiences close to death. during the manga and they have not, in fact it is not confirmed if Kaido and Big Mon awakened their fruits or not?; Maybe it has to do with the fact that since they've always been strong, they haven't had many near-death experiences, or maybe it has to do with the "will" that Akuma no mi have?.
Hopefully Oda explains clearly what are the conditions for the awakening of the fruits.
Old 2023-01-19, 09:58   Link #12
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

For Kuma, does anyone remember that Kuma takes out Luffy's exhaustion and fear at Thriller Bark before Zoro absorbs it? If so, then I believe that Kuma can be capable of extracting anything as long as he sees it fit.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-19, 16:24   Link #13
Homura7

Now that we have got evidence about what differentiates awakened zoan from normal ones, I'm afraid Luffy might have opened the pandora box.
Old 2023-01-19, 18:50   Link #14
Theia_Loki

I pretty much had a hefty double-take once I saw all those bombshells regarding Stussy. Had to take a bit just to get a good long gander at all of it just so I can memorize and process all of it.
Really puts the WHAM in "Wham Episode." Or, you know, WHAM Line(s).

Just...ouch.
Hell of a curveball there, Oda.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-19, 20:16   Link #15
Gerard07

Having seen the chapter, it seems that Bonney will soon find out what is happening to Kuma, Stussy is a clone (who apparently has vampire powers), and about Kaku's awakening I don't have much to add to what I said before, hopefully Oda will explain soon, to wait for the next chapter.
Old 2023-01-20, 07:46   Link #16
Rainbowman

Interesting how Stussy of CP0 is a double agent and a possibly a clone of Weevil’s mother who is a former member of the Rocks pirates. I find it frustrating that we still haven’t learned the name of Bonney’s Devil Fruit since we’re learning more about her. Hurry up with that information Oda!
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-20, 19:36   Link #17
Gerard07

Well, considering that Stussy put Kaku to sleep, I guess she's Vegapunk's secret ally I talked about earlier? (maybe she sees Vegapunk as a father or something and that's why she wants to help him).