Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2023-01-15, 06:58   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou Second Series

This is a fascinating and puzzling development. The language implies a second season, not some sort of recap (or even anime-original) OVA or movie.

If I'm guessing correctly, it seems that the production committee has decided - presumably with Tsukushi-sensei's blessing - to strike out on its own. Given how long it takes him to produce new material (quite understandably, given the complexity of the story and art), perhaps the anime is going to pursue an original course. Certainly a thing fans of series like Hunter X Hunter have long mused about.

If that's the case I have mixed feelings. Lots of faith in the Kinema Citrus staff, who've done phenomenal work with Made in Abyss. But Tsukushi's genius is pretty singular.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-15, 07:47   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Definitely an interesting development.

I'm waiting for more info. The best that could happen would be the author giving them cliff notes so the story can continue to be as close to his vision as possible without being a 1:1 of the manga. Probably not the best example but a bit like what happened with Dragon Ball Super.
Old 2023-01-15, 08:14   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

As a fan of the original FMA anime, I'm not oppose to the idea as long as the author gave his/her blessing (or even advice) and the showrunners know what they're doing.
Old 2023-01-15, 08:55   Link #4
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

On one hand, it is better than waiting another 5 years for the next part of the story to finish.

But on the other hand, a few previous adaptations where the PK went ahead and adapted unfinished story based on the authors input were... pretty devisive (though, I am not as critical of Akuma no Riddle or Akama ga Kill adaptations as most of people).
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-15, 09:13   Link #5
grecefar

This is a surprise.

I don't know, mixed feelings about this.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-15, 09:21   Link #6
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Somehow this feels like likely to turn out like Game of Thrones final season...

I don't know how I feel about this just yet but its been over 6 months since chapter 63 so I guess its also possible Tsukushi decided he'd rather be screenwriter the rest of the way. I think he had a pretty big hand in Binary Star as well.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-15, 10:05   Link #7
Blaat

Interesting development Kanon comparison with DBS is a good one another one is Gintama which had an 'anime only ending movie' (which they then ignored to continue adapting manga chapters) even if it's bad they'll probably make a 'true' season 3 five to eight years from now.
Old 2023-01-15, 16:55   Link #8
kuroyanagi

Considering that Tsukushi is commenting "Hurry!! The manuscript!! While I'm still healthy!!" in relation to this news, I doubt this new anime project will be completely its own thing. After all, he was involved with the production to the point where the manga serialization would stop for 6~12 months at a time while the 1st and 2nd seasons were broadcasting. For now, I'm taking this as more of a announcement of intent to from the anime producers and sit back and wait.

We're not that far from the end, after all; MiA was supposed to end at ~10 volumes in the beginning. The village arc probably went far beyond expectations, but considering how far we are in the abyss now, the currently serialized arc may very well be the last or second-to-last one.
Old 2023-01-15, 18:30   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, between Tsukushi’s tweet and the official anime account tweeting something like “please be patient” it sounds like this is more of a general statement of intent. A “however long it takes” kind of thing.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-18, 19:09   Link #10
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Its definitely going to be a while if we're keeping pace with the manga; as it stands the manga is only 3 chapters past where the anime has ended and hasn't done much other than introduce some new characters.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-24, 21:58   Link #11
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

If the original author spends his time working on the anime, then he should work on the manga instead.
If the author isn't going to help with the anime, then it's really an original anime and that sounds off quite a few alarms

Not really sure why they want to do this. I know we don't got much good left to animate, but isn't there like still thousands of throwaway Narous that can be animated for the sake of doing work?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 05:30   Link #12
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
If the original author spends his time working on the anime, then he should work on the manga instead.
If the author isn't going to help with the anime, then it's really an original anime and that sounds off quite a few alarms

Not really sure why they want to do this. I know we don't got much good left to animate, but isn't there like still thousands of throwaway Narous that can be animated for the sake of doing work?
Because the production comitee does not want another isekai adaptation, they want more MiA.

And, as people above said, this announcment does not mean anything besides "new anime is greenlit". It can take 4 or 5 years to actually release.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote