AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-09-05, 18:32   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1059 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

How's it goin', guys! We've got new spoilers, fresh from the break! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

Chapter title is "Captain Coby's Case". In the ministory, Katakuri and Oven mistakenly beat each other up as a result of Caesar's hallucinogenic gases.

-The chapter begins with the Red Hair pirates dropping Marco off at Sphinx Island, which was Whitebeard's homeland. Shanks asks Marco to join him, but the former WB commander declines. After saying their farewells, we see a brief flashback of the night of Ryokugyu's attack on Wano. Yamato declines Luffy's offer to join, as she feels she needs to stay and help protect Wano for the time being. Kaidou may be gone, but she's concerned that other powerful enemies such as the admirals will show up.... and there can't always rely on a stranger's powerful haki to scare them off. Marco then arrives to give his farewells to Luffy, saying that Ace would be proud to see how high his little brother has risen.

-Back in the present, we cut back to Amazon Lily, which is recovering from the recent marine invasion. We then flash back to sais invasion: The marines, led by vice admiral Yamakaji (one of the VAs introduced during the Enies Lobby Buster Call), unleash their new weapons against the Kuja tribe.... a new model of Pacifista, known as the Seraphim. The first one to attack resembles a little girl, with traits of the Lunarian race (white hair, brown skin, and black wings). And if that weren't enough, the situation gets further complicated with the arrival of.... BLACKBEARD!!! He brought along Catarina Devon and Vasco Shot with him, and he's here to steal Hancock's DF power!

-Deeper in the isle, Coby tries to peacefully negotiate with Hancock. Unfortunately, Blackbeard's arrival puts a damper on that. In fact, the emperor's crew are attacked by another Seraphim, this one resembling a kid Mihawk! Hancock joins in on the battle as well, turning nearly everyone around her into stone (Devon and Shot included), but she gets caught in a stranglehold by Blackbeard! Here, we learn their new bounties: 1,659,000,000 for Hancock, and 3,996,000,000 for Teach, respectively. Hancock warns him that if she dies here, anyone she turned to stone will remain that way forever, since even the next user of her power will be unable to undo the process. Teach, who's unfazed by her words, gives his thanks to Coby for his role in the Rocky Port incident. Thanks to that, Teach was able to seize control of the pirates' island from Wang Zhi (aka Ouchoku), a Rocks Pirates veteran! The emperor then decides to kill Hancock right then and there.....

-When suddenly, a newcomer's powerful haki can be felt! As it turns out, it belongs to none other than the Dark King, Silvers Rayleigh!!! Needless to say, both Blackbeard and the marines alike are alarmed by his arrival. He asks Hancock to turn the petrified people back to normal, and warns everyone else to leave the island, which they do. Back in the present, we see that Rayleigh didn't come to AL alone, as he was accompanied by Shakuyaku (aka Shakky), who's revealed to be a former Kuja empress from two generations past, AND a former Kuja Pirates captain! Ray says that despite the show he put on earlier, he's not sure if he can defeat the current Blackbeard on account of his age. He also surmises that the new Pacifistas are meant to replace the Shichibukai system. Speaking of, Hancock's sisters mention that one of them resembled Boa herself when she was a child. Back out at sea, we see a marine ship reporting that Coby has been captured of the Blackbeard Pirates, a fact that has already made the headlines....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-09-08 at 13:18.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-06, 06:50   Link #2
grecefar

Well I'm glad Hancock is safe.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-06, 07:02   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, now it's Luffy who is officially the Emperor with the lowest bounty. I'm not sure why Blackbeard's bounty shot up all the sudden. However, it makes more sense than him having such a low bounty before, since the guy has the world's most dangerous/powerful devil fruit and he has a means to steal DFs from others.

Another thing that's confusing is why he'd bother capturing Coby instead of just killing him. Does he intend to torture him for intel? The boy doesn't have much value beyond that.

I'm so glad we're finally out of Wano. The story is finally interesting again.
Old 2022-09-06, 15:14   Link #4
hyuugalegacy
Otaku, author wannabe

Well Coby getting caught by blackbeard is a nice touch. Can't see anything happening to him though (I suspect he will escape with Aokiji's help). Maybe I'm missing something with Hancock's Devil fruit, but I thought it was effective because it paired with her beauty. I can't see it being too useful for Blackbeard. Although, I think his new bounty makes a lot more sense. Despite the fact he keeps getting beaten due to his carelessness/arrogance.
Old 2022-09-06, 15:32   Link #5
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Well, now it's Luffy who is officially the Emperor with the lowest bounty. I'm not sure why Blackbeard's bounty shot up all the sudden. However, it makes more sense than him having such a low bounty before, since the guy has the world's most dangerous/powerful devil fruit and he has a means to steal DFs from others.

Another thing that's confusing is why he'd bother capturing Coby instead of just killing him. Does he intend to torture him for intel? The boy doesn't have much value beyond that.

Perhaps he’s planning to use Coby to lure out Luffy to take his Nika fruit.
Old 2022-09-06, 17:55   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Perhaps he’s planning to use Coby to lure out Luffy to take his Nika fruit.
How would he even know they're friends?
Old 2022-09-06, 18:21   Link #7
Gerard07

Seen the spoilersl Hanconk is fine and if reward increased a lot, BB's reward also increased and he is no longer the Yonkou with the lowest reward and Coby was captured but why?, as far as we know he is not an Akuma no Mi user, maybe BB is interested in him because he is part of SWORD? Or because he was saved by Shanks when Akainu wanted to kill him for wanting to stop the war? Wait for more spoilers.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-06, 23:05   Link #8
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuugalegacy View Post
Well Coby getting caught by blackbeard is a nice touch. Can't see anything happening to him though (I suspect he will escape with Aokiji's help). Maybe I'm missing something with Hancock's Devil fruit, but I thought it was effective because it paired with her beauty. I can't see it being too useful for Blackbeard. Although, I think his new bounty makes a lot more sense. Despite the fact he keeps getting beaten due to his carelessness/arrogance.
Back in Marineford, Hancock was able to even petrify inanimate objects and Pacifists through her techniques, using her beauty for that instant win technique is only one aspect of her DF.
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-07, 07:24   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Read the full summary and the chapter is even more interesting than it sounded!

There's a flashback with Yamato where she explains to Luffy she realized thanks to the recent incident with Ryokugyu she needs to stay behind to protect Wano. I think that was obvious, but a lot of people didn't get it so it's good that was included.

More interestingly, the Seraphims appear to be some kind of clones of the former Warlords combined with Lunarian DNA, with one of them looking exactly like Hancock as a child (something her sisters point out) and another looking like the drawing of Mihawk as a child in a SBS (he also uses a sword similar to Mihawk's to fight). Really unexpected twist! I really, really hope there's one based on Buggy who is super weak for reasons they can't understand
And there's another reveal: Shakky is a former Empress of the Kuja, and she tagged along with Rayleigh this time.

And that's not all! Blackbeard's interest in Coby is apparently because the Rocky Port incident he is considered the hero of helped BB defeat the boss of the Pirate Island he's currently ruling.

Man, this is so good.
Old 2022-09-07, 07:41   Link #10
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

I would say Luffy is like 2nd bottom for the starting bounty as the Emperor. BB's starting bounty is around 20% lower than Luffy's bounty when claimed as the Emperor. For the current, maybe, since it's a good starting bounty for Luffy as Yonko with 3 billion.

As for Coby, I would say that he could spill his relationship with Luffy, which BB probably makes him a hostage. For Kuja, though, I think it'll be a nice reunion between Nyon and Shakky since both were former Empress of Kuja.

Hancock probably would be surprised when Rayleigh wed former Kuja Empress.

Maybe there would be another Zoro vs Sanji about Yamato? (Would be nice to see Zoro mocks Sanji like at Fishman Island).
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-07, 13:45   Link #11
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Sucks Yamato won't join but it does makes sense, with Jinbei finally joining the crew was along time coming. Now We entering the final saga, who will be the final nakama?
Old 2022-09-07, 22:01   Link #12
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

There's a lot to sink our teeth into this chapter.

Oda is now beginning to address the dangling plot threads from Wano. I'm calling this current arc the Post-Wano Arc.
  1. Yamato is now explicitly de-confirmed from joining the SH crew later on by herself. So I guess Kanon was right about it not quite being a Jinbe scenario.
    • The reasoning is much better than simply following Oden and is consistent with her sendoff in 1057.
    • Yamato is still keen on joining through. Its possible for her to join later when the threat to Wano dissipates. But only after Zunesha opens the border of Wano and unleashes Pluton. That'll happen towards the final war.
  2. Marco finally got to have his moment with Luffy.
    • This was something that Oda had to include for completeness and I'm glad that he covered it.
    • This might be the last time we see Marco in action for the rest of the series unless Edward Weevil causes some kind of disturbance.
    • This also probably rules out the SHs going to Sphinx Island as their next destination.

I'm now feeling much more confident that Oda will continue to address the remaining threads of the Wano Arc that needed immediate attention. Mainly:
  • Proper closure for Carrot who still hasn't been explicitly de-confirmed on stowing away on the Sunny.
  • Zoro visiting Ryuuma's grave and his connection to the Shimotsuki (maybe even getting the Nidai Kitetsu).
  • X Drake and Caribou's whereabouts.
TL;DR…
Carrot Copium Tracker
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Anyways the most exciting thing to come out from this chapter are the new Pacifistas, the Seraphim.

They are so damn OP:
  • Standard Pacifista abilities and toughness.
  • Lunarian DNA and abilities.
  • Young Shichibukai appearance and potential abilities.

Last edited by OH&S; 2022-09-07 at 22:30.
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-08, 13:29   Link #13
marvelB

OP updated! Damn, a lot happens this chapter. Still, I have to echo that I find it odd that Blackbeard wants Hancock's power.... maybe there's also some secret to it, like with Luffy's fruit? It doesn't seem to be a good fit for him, otherwise. As for the new Pacifistas, I had kinda figured that they may be clones of the warlords, but them being part Lunarian is a twist I didn't see coming.... yikes. It'll be kinda funny to see if Vegapunk even made clones of Buggy and Moria, though.

But that being said, the highlight for me was definitely the further hyping of the Rocky Port incident. We've only been given scant details about it, each nugget we get is more interesting than the last, especially now that we know another former Rocks pirate was involved. I do so hope that Oda gives us a flashback of that incident, one day....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-08, 13:29   Link #14
Rainbowman

After some consideration, I think my main highlight for this chapter is the introduction of the Seraphim.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-08, 18:10   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
OP updated! Damn, a lot happens this chapter. Still, I have to echo that I find it odd that Blackbeard wants Hancock's power.... maybe there's also some secret to it, like with Luffy's fruit? It doesn't seem to be a good fit for him, otherwise. As for the new Pacifistas, I had kinda figured that they may be clones of the warlords, but them being part Lunarian is a twist I didn't see coming.... yikes. It'll be kinda funny to see if Vegapunk even made clones of Buggy and Moria, though.
I'm still asking myself what would be funnier: Marines being puzzled that Buggy's seraphim is super weak; or Buggy's seraphim somehow turning out to be the strongest of them all.

Also, it's pretty much a certainty there is a Kaido seraphim, given that he spent time as a lab rat. Ace and Whitebeard's bodies were taken by Shanks so I think we can exclude a pseudo edo tensei plot, at least.
Old 2022-09-08, 20:01   Link #16
patnam

so it's confirmed, Teach will be the final boss for Luffy to beat...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-08, 21:13   Link #17
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
For Final Boss, it still remains whether it's Akainu or Blackbeard- Luffy has major history with both.

Though I supposed that TECHNICALLY Blackbeard is more or less responsible for Ace's death, even if it was Akainu himself who killed Ace.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 01:42   Link #18
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
For Final Boss, it still remains whether it's Akainu or Blackbeard- Luffy has major history with both.

Though I supposed that TECHNICALLY Blackbeard is more or less responsible for Ace's death, even if it was Akainu himself who killed Ace.
Did you completely forget about Imu? Who is probably the most significant?
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-09, 07:51   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Although it was played as a joke, Hancock leaving the island to marry Luffy isn't a bad idea. Everyone would benefit. Of course, Luffy wouldn't agree so easily, unless we get a Dragon Ball situation.

But yeah, not gonna happen, I know.
Old 2022-09-09, 08:38   Link #20
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmariofan7 View Post
Did you completely forget about Imu? Who is probably the most significant?
The problem with Imu is that he (she? it?) ties into the overall Big Picture story- this involves the Void Century, the three Weapons, and so on. In other words, we just don't know how credible a threat Imu and all related parties will be right now.

Meanwhile, Blackbeard and Akainu have 100% proven they're Big Bastards.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote