AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2022-05-24, 17:14   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1050 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

We're back from break! Credit goes to Redon and co. from AP (which seems to be down again at the moment) for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Glory". In the ministory, Reiju and Ichiji have arrived to rescue their siblings Niji and Yonji!

-Luffy's final attack sends Kaidou plunging so deep under Wano's earth that he falls into a pool of magma! Coincidentally, Big Mom is there, as well. Yamato manages to catch the exhausted Luffy as he falls from the sky. Meanwhile, back on the mainland, Toko talks to Hitetsu about her father, Yasuie. We see a brief flashback of the two, where it turns out the former daimyo took a bite of the same failed SMILE that Toko ate because he didn't want her to suffer from fits of laughter all alone. Hitetsu tells Toko that her father gave his own life to ensure Wano has a happy future, and that it's the greatest honor that a samurai can wish for. We also see that Toko changed the wish on her floating lantern to read, "thank you, father".

-Nekomamushi announces Luffy's victory over Kaidou to all of Onigashima! He also notes that Momo was the dragon who prevented the island from getting destroyed. As the heroes start celebrating, Momo tells Zunisha that he does intend to open Wano's borders... but not right away. The remaining Beast Pirates try to dampen the mood, saying they still outnumber the samurai, but Yamato tells them the battle is over, since Kaidou lost. An earthquake can be felt under Onigashima, as both Kaidou and Big Mom are shown floating in the pool of magma. Suddenly, an underwater volcano erupts, as the narrator announces that Luffy is indeed the victor of this great battle!

-As the people of the Flower Capital are confused by the eruption, Momo flies down there and transforms back into human form.... which us readers don't see yet since he's covered in smoke. Also emerging from the smoke are Hiyori and Denjirou! The latter makes an announcement to the surrounding denizens: He's brought with him the new shogun of the land of Wano....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2022-05-26 at 10:47.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-24, 22:14   Link #2
Gerard07

Looks like Kaido's defeat is confirmed, I'm guessing a celebration party is coming up followed by intel gathering and nakamas (I keep saying Carrot and Yamato should join the crew), then they'll leave Wano, there will be new rewards and we'll find out what what happens outside with Sabo and the Shichibukai, to wait for the full chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-24, 23:47   Link #3
mickbis

Why I feel like Oda save Momo adult scene for a comedic purpose next week
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 01:06   Link #4
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Sorry, but I have to make some meta commentary here, because Oda has almost clearly retconned two things:

First, he completely scrapped his plans for "Well, I don't want Luffy to just punch Kaido and win"- I think this was in an SBS a few years ago. And yet, look at how Luffy won. Normally, this wouldn't be so bad... except we had this thought of Oda's in actual print.

Second, the whole Kabuki act bit appears to have been completely forgotten about.

On one hand, I'm glad that Wano is finally coming to a close, and hopefully we can start getting more info on Rocks and the God Valley incident. On the other hand, it feels like maybe Oda is under some sort of pressure, because these tiny little inconsistencies are showing up, when he's been very consistent for the last couple of decades.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 05:04   Link #5
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

To be perfectly honest, none of the events in this chapter are surprising. Its about what I expected... Except the whole pool of magma bit. That's weird even by One Piece standards. Something funny is going on.

Regardless, if Act 3 ends relatively soon without any plot twists, its safe to say its over. These next few chapters are going to be pivotal in determining the direction for the rest of the arc.
Old 2022-05-25, 07:51   Link #6
Kaz_

Its the party over my defeated enemies body time of the year! About time for some BIG news to land in for main story to advance.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 07:58   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm sure there are still some people hooked on copium, but it's officially over. I haven't checked myself, but I've heard Luffy's victories are always announced by his allies and not the narrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
First, he completely scrapped his plans for "Well, I don't want Luffy to just punch Kaido and win"- I think this was in an SBS a few years ago. And yet, look at how Luffy won. Normally, this wouldn't be so bad... except we had this thought of Oda's in actual print.
I don't know what people expected when he said that. It was always going to end with a punch, but it was no simple punch. Gigantic fist (way bigger than Gear 3 could ever produce) coated in conqueror's haki+ ryuo.

What kind of alternative did you have in mind?
Old 2022-05-25, 13:41   Link #8
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
To be perfectly honest, none of the events in this chapter are surprising. Its about what I expected... Except the whole pool of magma bit. That's weird even by One Piece standards. Something funny is going on.
As a fellow OP reader, I'm sure you're smart enough like me to tell where this is heading. A "pool of magma", to not say the innermost area of a inactive volcano, and Kaido just fell straight into the lava.

Furthermore. From the looks of it, it's a sea volcano.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-25, 20:40   Link #9
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
As a fellow OP reader, I'm sure you're smart enough like me to tell where this is heading. A "pool of magma", to not say the innermost area of a inactive volcano, and Kaido just fell straight into the lava.

Furthermore. From the looks of it, it's a sea volcano.
Its actually weirder than that. The full spoilers say that Kaidou falls near Big Mom; both KO'd. The volcanic activity begins later and the magma consumes BOTH Kaidou and Big Mom.

What's the takeaway here? Are they both dead then? Not only would that be a huge departure from what normally happens in One Piece, that kinda ruins the line of logic for there being more for Kaidou and Big Mom post-Wano.

And if they're not dead, why have them consumed by magma in the first place? Is it just rule of cool?

There are so many red flags here.
Old 2022-05-26, 01:37   Link #10
Hoodspirit

They look pretty dead to me.
On the page before the huge erruption we see their bodies disintegrating.

Something the spoilers didn't mention: the cannons are finally here.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 05:40   Link #11
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Ok, found the source of my irritation. This is from an interview about six years ago. I'll still post the whole thing here, but basically Oda said "I don't think my audience will be satisfied if I just end things with a punch".

Well Oda, it looks like you scrapped that idea after all. Though to be 100% fair, Oda also said about 3 years ago, he wanted to end the main part of the manga in 4~5 years... and he stuck to that too. So maybe he'd rather stick to finishing things than try to get extra creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Hey, guys! This isn't exactly SBS-related, but I thought would make for a neat thing to post, anyway! Oda's had a few interviews recently, I believe for the main purpose of promoting Film Gold. Nonetheless, they contain some very interesting info (though some of it may come across as a bit worrying, admittedly....). Credit goes to AP's Sandman for the summaries!

First up, it's Oda's interview from the One Piece Great Newspaper Vol. 2 (spoiler tagged for length)

Spoiler for summary 1:

Next up is a summary of some other recent interviews (again, spoiler tagged for length):

Spoiler for summary 2:

Next up, Oda confirms that he knows exactly he's going to draw in the final panel of the series:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...ill-be/.104694

And lastly, some more bits of trivia (some of this is already somewhat common knowledge, but for those who missed it, here ya go):

Once again, credit goes to Sandman for most of that info! Yes, those bits about Oda's health are concerning, but at least he's still truckin'. Otherwise, lots of interesting info there, particularly stuff like Oda himself not knowing how Kaidou will be dealt with, or the CP0 stuff (so Lucci is a commander, and Spandam is still as power-hungry as ever.....). I also like that we got more info on Chaton and Momousagi. Sounds like Oda made those characters canon after all, which is great in my book! Lastly, depending on the source, the series is somewhere between 65% to 70% completed... though I can still see the series taking another decade before ending (and hopefully with Oda in better health...).

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 08:00   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It turns out the narrator updated the results and declared Luffy the winner of the decisive battle in the sky, as opposed to Kaido simply winning the battle on the rooftop. But I'm sure that still won't be enough to convince the people in denial, they'll only come around once we leave Wano.
Old 2022-05-26, 11:09   Link #13
marvelB

Alright, OP updated! Heh, I had brought up that thing about Luffy ending the fight with a punch a thread or two back, but honestly I'm not bothered about it at this point. Perhaps Oda did have a different kind of finisher in mind, but it's been so long since that interview that I'm not surprised that he'd change the outcome. I mean, don't forget that this is the guy who originally wanted to wrap up the series about 5 years after serialization began.... and yet it's been running for about quintuple that amount of time, lol.

Anyway, even if they fell into the magma, I don't see this being the end of Kaidou and BM just yet. I'm sure both their bodies are tough enough to withstand getting turned into charcoal, even without shielding themselves with CoA haki. As for where the story goes from here.... well, my guess is as good as anyone's at this point, I think. However, I do find it interesting that Momo chose to delay opening Wano's borders.... though to be fair, that may be the wisest choice right now with those WG battleships stationed at the nation's doorstep. Speaking of, I still think there may be a possibility that Zunisha is carrying some special guests on his back who can help intercept the WG's invasion.... namely, Shanks. What with the hype the redhead has gotten lately (thanks in no small part to the upcoming movie), I wouldn't be surprised if this is finally the time for Luffy and Shanks to meet each other again. The emperor even hinted that the time of their reunion was nigh around the time of the Reverie chapters.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 13:54   Link #14
Gerard07

Question, assuming both Kaido and Big Mom are alive in the manga, will they be able to go out on their own or will they not be able to move as Akuma no mi users? (All non-mi Akuma users' weakness is the sea, but I have doubts if that weakness will also apply if they're in the magma).
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 18:59   Link #15
itachi-san314

Woah, Big Mom and Kaido are knocked out floating in a magma pool? That's pretty crazy. It'd be weird if they die like this, but it's also weird for everyone to start partying when they could just recover and start the fight again
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 20:09   Link #16
Hoodspirit

Emotionally this chapter felt pretty flat.
Maybe because we didn't see like a third of the crew,nor any reunion of them with Luffy. No reaction to his injuries too, already received medical treatment and cleaned up. Your average tuesday.

One other thing that really bothered me was the introduction of an unreliable narrator.
This is going to hurt the series so much.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-26, 21:52   Link #17
patnam

so 3 of the "original" Four Emperors are gone, only Shank left...
patnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 01:40   Link #18
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I'm going to reserve judgment until we get a clear indication that Act 3 is over. But as of right now, this is looking to be the worst conclusion to a Luffy fight since... ... geez, I think it might be the worst.

Like, I had problems with the Doflamingo fight's final clash, but at least there was this sense of spectacle and finality with it.
Old 2022-05-27, 03:14   Link #19
Homura7

The battle has concluded, but what happens with Kaido & Big Mom is still left in the air.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-27, 04:47   Link #20
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnam View Post
so 3 of the "original" Four Emperors are gone, only Shank left...
Don’t forget that Blackbeard has replaced Whitebeard. Of course I wouldn’t be surprised if emperor system ends up being abolished at some point.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote