Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-17, 02:56   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Is One Piece only partially licensed?

I almost added this to One Piece Licenced, but that is so long and rambling that it would be totally lost. Besides, I've noticed that the topic in that thread is the pros and cons of licensing One Piece. This doesn't quite fit.

It seems that according to a search of government copyright records, only episodes 1-50 of One Piece have been copyrighted. I'm not sure good an indication of licensing this is. Perhaps someone who knows more about the subject can fill in some details

This is posted in a AnimeOnDVD Forum Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dythim
If you visit this search page for the US Copyright Office:

http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html

and do a "Combined Search" (not the default choice) for "One Piece", it shows entries for only episodes 1-50 of the series (roughly two north american seasons?).
Would this mean that 4Kids has only licensed these episodes?
And perhaps more to the point, would this make fansubs for episodes 51 and beyond legitimate?
I wonder...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-17, 03:16   Link #2
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

well... I checked that site... and followed the instructions in the post above... and I can only see a few items that relate to One Piece... I'm not familiar with copyright law or whatever... but the only claimant I saw there was Toei Animation Company, Ltd. ... shouldn't it be 4kids?

for example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. Copyright Office
8. Registration Number: PA-1-123-018
Title: One piece : no. 15, Defeat kuro] Usopp's determination.
Description: Videocassette ; 1/2 in.
Note: Japanese. Based on the comic book series entitled Weekly Shonen jump.
Claimant: [Author and claimant] Toei Animation Company, Ltd. (employer for hire)
Created: 2000
Published: 23Feb00
Claim Limit: NEW MATTER: animation, soundtrack, screenplay & all other cinematographic material.
Special Codes: 4/X/L
damn... I just confused myself... hopefully someone clears this up..
Old 2004-06-17, 04:10   Link #3
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

well it looks like it only listed #15 so every episode has an individual license ... See if you can go past episode 50. If 51 doesn't show up ... then it's not licensed yet.
Old 2004-06-17, 06:52   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Sorry but this thread and the points it makes are misleading.

Copyright does not equal Licensed.

Why is it that if you search for other recently licensed series you get no hits. I tried for series such as "Gunslinger Girl", "Azumanga Daioh", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Flame of Recca", no relevant hits. This is the Copyright Office, the entries for "One Piece" just means someone bothered to log the name for copyright protection. Somethimes they are copyrighted (such as Dragonball), mostly it seems they are not.
You'll also notice that while it goes up to "ONE PIECE : NO. 50", it was registered on 6th Feb 2003 by Toei, which clearly shows it has nothing to do with the recent license announcement.
Old 2004-06-17, 09:10   Link #5
jennwenn

Other posters have also been speculating (?) that One Piece is only licensed for the first season or so. Even if that were the case, don't companies at least have an option for the rest? I think that would be enough to consider it all taken anyway.
Old 2004-06-17, 09:37   Link #6
hi no ken Jebus

im almost positive its licensed up to a certain number since that's how anythign over 26 eps gets handled as a trial thing to see what market it has. 4kids is quite tight lipped about the whole thing and its impossible trying to reach someone competent at their offices. so i guess we wait and see if they divulge that. at the moment i suggest to leave it as licensed until further notice.
Old 2004-06-17, 10:08   Link #7
Jn183

Could be...the only licensing I kinda follow is Berserk Manga. Dh say they licensed Berserk manga but it was only 3 vol of it. Not until it was a success that they license more or all of Berserk Manga. So, 4kids might just licensed the 1st 50 eps. Imagine them licensing 195eps and ongoing. And next thing you know, the show wasn't a success in the US. They are screw. Remember how Inuyasha was only licensed for I think 26eps or something like that until it was a hit. I could be wrong on the Inuyasha thing, just remember something related to Inuyasha and license.
Old 2004-06-17, 10:39   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

No, 4kids DOES have the licence to ALL of the OP episodes. The only thing is, they're on probation, so if OP doesn't go over well in the states within the first 50 episodes, then they loose their licence to Funi and all rights to sell, distribute, and show what they've already produced. We're all praying for that.
Old 2004-06-17, 15:08   Link #9
quiet insanity

And you know this how?
Old 2004-06-17, 15:53   Link #10
[^_^x]

only 1-50 have been licensed and they might loose the license. 50 and up are still free even tho they will most likely be. I doubt Group will halt their subbing either way.

Its not like FMA or Chrno Crusade got stopped.

Either way lots of Anime gets licensed if you really want it you can still find it.

I posted some links for one piece 98 and 99 by Group but I guess its against the rules.

Anyways what cant be found on google can be found on IRC.

Edit by Mod: Actually we go as far as asking that you don't even mention groups that might be subbing it... for the reason you mentioned above... group name / link -- might as well be the same thing.

Last edited by NightWish; 2004-06-17 at 16:28.
Old 2004-06-17, 17:29   Link #11
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

What? We can't mention who's subbing it?? So like if I said that......[lost carrier]

*Just kidding. I know the rules.*
Old 2004-06-17, 17:43   Link #12
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Correct. I've already given someone a temporary ban for that minor sin. He thought that only links were verboten and tried to help people find the show. Repeatedly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-06-17, 17:59   Link #13
HopelessLover

You guys are funny, you don't want us mentioning the fansub group that subs this anime because it's lisenced, but ironicly enough, that same fansub group can be easily found and linked at your main website.

Where is your logic you crackers?
Old 2004-06-17, 18:12   Link #14
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Exactly, its listed right on thier site linking the groups homepage (which has the torrent page) and the irc channel. Gee wonder if il get banned linking to animesuki
Old 2004-06-17, 19:21   Link #15
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessLover
Where is your logic you crackers?
Context and Intent. You have to look at it in context, there are two:
  1. Group's home page link on the information page for that group
    (Amidst lots of other similar links)
  2. A thread about a licensed anime
    (Amidst information about how the show is now licensed)
In the first there is nothing that says "here is licensed anime"; in the second you are creating a clear relationship between the anime and a source. It is the intent of the second we do not allow.

Really, it's quite simple.
Old 2004-06-17, 19:43   Link #16
HopelessLover

never mind me then.

Last edited by HopelessLover; 2004-09-09 at 17:38.
Old 2004-06-17, 19:46   Link #17
Knight Hawk
Lurker

Quote:
In the first there is nothing that says "here is licensed anime"
Then expect some of the members linking to that information page when asked.
Old 2004-06-17, 20:51   Link #18
-|(aGe-BuNsHiN-
Vandread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hawk
Then expect some of the members linking to that information page when asked.
Well this is what I posted in the License thread:

Ok this is the more recent news I have gotten from abroad.

It seems the 4Kids didn't get the license for all the episodes. Instead they have only received the license for the first 50 episodes (due to their "whining") and if the public response isn't what they expect from such a popular show, they are apparently yanking the license from 4Kids and giving it to Funimation or some other company that are willing to license it.

Not to be technical here, but then isnt it alright for animesuki to post episodes 50>? Just a thought....(hope 4Kids loses it to someone decent...)

This was really a rumor but seeing as how so many different people in so many different forums are getting the same answer...I'm guessing there is some truth in this after all...

Edit: xris correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt a copyright and licensing essentially the same thing?
Old 2004-06-18, 02:49   Link #19
mickdawgx81

"Copyright" just means that they own a certain brand name, i.e. One Piece anime/manga, and also the characters. You copyright something to make sure no one steals your idea or product.

And "license" means 4Kids paid the creator/company of One Piece, has the sole right to show One Piece in America. Or I heard, Funimation will distribute the DVD, that could also be part of the licensing agreement. Cuz I don't know the terms of the agreement. Some say they they only bought 50 episodes, which sounds about right, that's about two years on Saturday morning FoxBox.

You don't buy too many episodes, because if One Piece never catches on to the American audience, it'll be a waste of money for 4Kids. I'm sure somewhere on the contract though, 4Kids will probably have first dibs on 51+. If they decide to buy more episodes, it must've meant One Piece was a success, and both sides will probably not want to mess with a good thing.
Old 2004-06-18, 09:17   Link #20
hi no ken Jebus

is the funi with the DVDs official i keep seeing people say it with great confidence but i have not seen anything official or concrete. Also still no luck reaching any 4kids PR folk to see what exactly it is they have 50 or the whole series. people have been speculating too much and taking word of mouth as truth so you dont know what to believe anymore.

[OT] also its kind of catch 22 about the whole not mentioning [insert group] because they still do [insert licensed anime here] on this website with few exceptions some do other stuff but still continue their licensed work but all that falls on the perogative of the website folk so dont pay it much mind. some of you really should consider law as a career field i mean wow.
Closed Thread