AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-09-15, 06:29   Link #1
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Strange slowdown + windows update

Good evening everyone. I will say things in the order that they happened. My pc is using windows 7 32-bit. For almost a year now, I have been converting anime episodes from mp4 to avi using Xvid4psp, so that episodes can be viewed using a portable wide screen video player. Typically a 30 minute episode takes approx an hour to convert.

Now 3 days ago..

1. One morning, instead of taking 1 hr to convert an episode, it suddenly took almost 3 hrs to convert one.

2. That same day, evening I searched up some possible solutions and saw Disk Cleanup to free some space, and hopefully the pc would be faster again.

3. Deleted almost 3 GB of files from various temp folders. The temp folder found by Disk Cleanup. The TEMP folder by Xvid4psp.

4. Tried converting... and also went to Task Manager and gave more priority to Xvid4psp and encraw. The conversion is still slow..

5. I then went to sleep with the pc turned on and converting. Woke up at 4 in the morning and saw that Windows 7 has downloaded updates - and the video file has been 100% converted as well.

6. Tried converting again, and surprisingly. Everything is back to normal now. Xvid4psp now converts at it's normal rate of 1 hr per episode. And so far no problems in my pc.

Question: Did emptying all those temp folders cause Windows to suddenly update? Or it's just a coincidence that windows updated itself that night? Thank you for answer.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2016-09-15 at 06:48.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-15, 09:17   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
If Xvid4PSP is CPU bound (and supports multi core processors) then it is likely that windows update was running in the background downloading updates and that will be using one whole core on your processor and will increase the converting time.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-16, 06:27   Link #3
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Hmm, good observation. I guess that's one possible explanation.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote