AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-04-23, 08:22   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Macross Delta - Character Discussion - Freyja Wion

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Freyja Wion related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Macross fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-23, 23:35   Link #2
Mikobun
Eat-suki

Official manga about freyja's daily lifeand pov in windmere is out, and it has some surprising facts about windermere.

Spoiler for freyja's home:

Spoiler for freyja's osananajimi & fiance:

Spoiler for manga:

Spoiler:
Old 2016-04-24, 00:46   Link #3
xeviouses

So kinda like dog years?

Spoiler for hmmm:

Last edited by xeviouses; 2016-04-24 at 05:11.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 00:48   Link #4
Boukenxha

Spoiler for Reaction to manga spoilers about Freyja:
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 01:21   Link #5
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Spoiler for wait what???:

Wow this is huge blown out, i wonder if the fiance will appear in anime later
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 01:43   Link #6
Mikobun
Eat-suki

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
So kinda like dog years?

The short life span could present some problems on the shipping though.

Then again mental gymnastics would say she'd win the triangle since it almost always favor the older girl. Short life span->older age by windermeran standards=Love triangle winner.

Whats Fiance's name btw?
Spoiler for manga:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Spoiler for wait what???:

Wow this is huge blown out, i wonder if the fiance will appear in anime later
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mikobun; 2016-04-24 at 02:32.
Mikobun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 02:29   Link #7
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

So Freyja is actually a technical Christmas cake?

*desire intensifies*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 02:37   Link #8
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobun View Post
Spoiler for manga:

Spoiler:
Well, a correction:

Spoiler for about kaifun triangle:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 05:36   Link #9
Gravitas Free Zone

I remember Misa's one-sided interest in Kaifum because she would make dreamy faces at him (and nothing else would happen) for something like five to ten episodes.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-24, 07:40   Link #10
Mikobun
Eat-suki

How can I forget Misa's one-sided crush in Kaifun, maybe because it's been 10-12 years since the last time I watched SDF or because it was about Kaifun.

Anyway, the opening lyrics of Delta is kinda relevant to Freyja's one chance to love:

Macross Delta OP - Ichido Dake no Koi Nara/If This Love Can Only Come Once

ichido dake no koi nara
kimi no naka de asobou
wagamama na kisu o shiyou
If this love can only come once,
have some fun inside of you
share an indulgent kiss
Old 2016-04-24, 15:42   Link #11
magnuskn

Awo, boo. I really had hoped that there would be more to the whole "marry the son of the apple farmer" thing.

So, 30 years of living. Rough. Do they physically age rapidly, too, or do they live fast, die young and leave a pretty corpse?
Old 2016-04-24, 17:48   Link #12
charles883

I think they physically age rapidly as aerial knight master look like he's at least 50 years old and I think he's actual age is mid 20 years old

I feel sorry for Freyja for seeing her home nation declared wars against entire galaxy. I bet she going to have conflicting feeling for this situation
charles883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-25, 05:00   Link #13
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
or do they live fast, die young and leave a pretty corpse?
Consider the likely reference to Idols IRL who tend to retire after 30, this is probably what they would pick.
Old 2016-04-25, 06:40   Link #14
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikobun View Post
Spoiler for manga:
"Ji-nan" actually means second son. Unless someone decided to give him a name that sounds exactly like the word that means second son.

This was actually revealed in the first episode of the anime as well -- the village mayor ordered her to marry the "jinanbou" (次男坊) of the apple farmer.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-26, 16:03   Link #15
magnuskn

I just discovered another advantage Freyja has over Ranka as the "loli love interest" (which itself is suddenly kinda laughable, given her "real age"):

She won't turn into a whimpering piece of baggage when fighting breaks out.

Honestly, that both female lead characters are capable in a fight makes the whole triangle (as soon as that even starts, they are dragging their feet quite a bit on it) more interesting. If only the male protagonist were more interesting and likeable...

Maybe we should root for F/M instead?
Old 2016-04-26, 22:38   Link #16
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I just discovered another advantage Freyja has over Ranka as the "loli love interest" (which itself is suddenly kinda laughable, given her "real age"):

She won't turn into a whimpering piece of baggage when fighting breaks out.

Honestly, that both female lead characters are capable in a fight makes the whole triangle (as soon as that even starts, they are dragging their feet quite a bit on it) more interesting. If only the male protagonist were more interesting and likeable...

Maybe we should root for F/M instead?
I don't know if I'll call Freyja a "loli" when her body seems more developed than Mirage's or that green haired fellow Walkure member. Her breasts at least are a tad bigger. I imagine she'll have to carry big hopes and dreams in a couple of years more The main problem with Ranka (TV series speaking), besides her reliance in general, was her wardrobe. Freyja is spazzy but she never feels like less of a teenager and Hayate looks around her age mostly due to his design. Ranka looked at times like she was 11 years old while Sheryl and Alto designs were too mature (they looked in their early 20s to me). Also sympathetic focus. Most of Ranka's struggles were linked to superficial things (like how Alto prefers to fly in the sky instead of eating her burned cookies, yeah...) until Vajra came around and that wasn't handled well, IMO (and I understand her position, it wasn't portrayed well) while Sheryl's struggles were completely understandable (when she speaks of Galaxy, her disease, the betrayal of Grace), right? Freyja's struggles and hardships aren't about 'oh boy he doesn't love me' but really portrayed as heavy stuff which makes her sympathetic, same thing as Sheryl. Even if she had a 'he doesn't love me' angst, it will be palatable because of her lifespan and having little shots to love. That's probably why you like her too?

I don't care about romance this time around. I feel the characters are real nice platonic chemistry overall. I do appreciate Freyja can smart talk back at Hayate. It creates a playful bantering between them (like how she returned his "aren't you the lucky one"? back at him when he passed the test). I was bracing myself for the worst of another cripplingly shy unable to talk back heroine, but Freyja surprised me in a good way.

While it's interesting some are comparing her to Ranka (because of the youth?), I feel Freyja is dangerously close to be copy/paste Sheryl (in particular Movie Sheryl), except younger and without her class act which comes with age (even design wise, they both also have the weirdass gradient-dual hair blonde hair color: Sheryl had yellow+pink, Freyja has yellow+orange). I am hoping it won't keep borrowing aspects to keep her uniqueness.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2016-04-26 at 22:50.
Old 2016-04-27, 10:39   Link #17
Gravitas Free Zone

One difference, Sheryl didn't know that the V-type infection meant death until some episodes in. Freyja definitely knows that her timer runs shorter than for those around her.

Sheryl got a character boost from finding out; Freyja already knows, so her arc should proceed differently.
Old 2016-04-27, 11:57   Link #18
azarhal

I don't think Freyja's lifespan is going to amount to much outside of Mirage feeling sorry for her.

It's basically there to explain why Windermere is full of angry teenagers and why she left her homeworld so young to follow her dream of becoming an idol.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-27, 12:57   Link #19
Gravitas Free Zone

It does go toward her (and the Knights') high level of motivation. So far she doesn't seem like the sort of character to mope around or dwell on the small things.
Old 2016-04-27, 13:13   Link #20
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
One difference, Sheryl didn't know that the V-type infection meant death until some episodes in. Freyja definitely knows that her timer runs shorter than for those around her.

Sheryl got a character boost from finding out; Freyja already knows, so her arc should proceed differently.
This is why I clarified that Freyja is definitely alike Movie Sheryl who also had an upped cheerfulness and cutesy-ier moments. She also knew she was sick since the beginning and belonged to the 'enemy faction'. Movie Sheryl unambiguously gives Alto the sky, while Freyja gives Hayate the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I don't think Freyja's lifespan is going to amount to much outside of Mirage feeling sorry for her.

It's basically there to explain why Windermere is full of angry teenagers and why she left her homeworld so young to follow her dream of becoming an idol.
There's a pan to Hayate looking thoughtful after Mirage mentions that. Lifespan is definitely part of the drama when Heinz is mysteriously ill. It's definitely playing a part when Freyja's motivation to run off is because she can't waste time when her life is short to fulfill her dream. It's already an integral part of her characterization.

Tags
characters