Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2014-11-13, 07:46   Link #1
Tenzen12

EC (Web Novel)

Author : Otori Ishinei
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Seinen
Translation group: RE:translation

In the distant future, after humanity's revival following an apocalyptic event, an inquisitive woman, a young man abandoned by his country, a youth seeking redemption and an isolated young prodigy meet by chance in a game promoted by a certain company. Tricked into running an Academy, the tale follows their lives and adventures in a world not their own.

Suprisningly little known novel whith great great characters, flashy battles and smart solutions. While it use lot of similiar elements like LogHora or Sculptor (also MayoYuu and bit of Mondaiji) it has it's own flavor. Prety much only flaws are occasionaly confusing narative and Kun (but I bet lot of people will like him for some reason)
Old 2014-11-13, 08:06   Link #2
merpati

there are 4 protagonist?
Old 2014-11-13, 08:08   Link #3
Tenzen12

Yep, four protagonists of roughly equal importance, each with different personality and talents. That's one of things I like most about it
Old 2014-11-13, 15:46   Link #4
Namorax

You should warn people that we get little to no explanations of what's happend before the story begins (that comes later, in bits and pieces and flashbacks).

You get dropped into the story and are left to figure out the "stuff between the lines" for yourself.

Also: Who can guess what the EC stands for? xD (As far as I know, nobody has yet guessed the proper meaning behind the title)
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 18:20   Link #5
casgoldsmith

4 MC? eck

spoilers?
Old 2014-11-13, 18:22   Link #6
techblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax View Post
You should warn people that we get little to no explanations of what's happend before the story begins (that comes later, in bits and pieces and flashbacks).

You get dropped into the story and are left to figure out the "stuff between the lines" for yourself.

Also: Who can guess what the EC stands for? xD (As far as I know, nobody has yet guessed the proper meaning behind the title)
Yea I couldn't get into this cause of that I didn't know what the heck was going on.
techblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 19:40   Link #7
nakie08

Hmmm... My interest has been successfully piqued.

One thing first though, they're running an academy? How can this be an adventure story if they run an academy? Or are their adventures only in-campus?
Old 2014-11-13, 20:31   Link #8
bakato

Where are we on romance?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 20:35   Link #9
laclongquan

Romance: slow going.

Warnings: multiple view points. You will get disoriented. Reread everything is recommended.
laclongquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 20:36   Link #10
bakato

I expected that much. I heard something about this being an MMORPG setting. Any truth to this?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-13, 20:58   Link #11
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakie08 View Post
Hmmm... My interest has been successfully piqued.

One thing first though, they're running an academy? How can this be an adventure story if they run an academy? Or are their adventures only in-campus?
Well, not realy. They have adventures outside and often take some handy students with them. Actualy they became quite famous for ehm... various reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
I expected that much. I heard something about this being an MMORPG setting. Any truth to this?
Well yeah it's VMMORPG... but it might be far less V than everyone thinks. I guess it's best think about it as Elder Tales (LogHora) where you can log out. Most "users" threat it EXACTLY as game and obviously don't think much about consequences for non-users who are (not) mere NPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laclongquan View Post
Romance: slow going.
What do you mean "slow going"? Aren't Rick and Bell already Married couple?

EDIT: I just added some tags, feel free add more.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-11-13 at 21:15.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-14, 01:05   Link #12
laclongquan

That's just some heavyhanded flirting online. No way you can call them a couple.
Old 2014-11-14, 01:25   Link #13
Tenzen12

I was obviously joking, but honestly I bet they weren't that different in RL.
Old 2014-11-14, 01:48   Link #14
laclongquan

One is a twenty something (I think, no way 22+) college-boy on baseball scholarship.
Another is a thirty something PhD (or equivalent) stuck in Antartica base
Long distance, age-gap, and no way to meet out of Second Phantasia.

It's not out of consideration, but not yet. I cheer for them, but it does not happen yet.
Old 2014-11-14, 02:08   Link #15
Tenzen12

That's the point of Second phantasia, it remove barriers like distance or even language and it's as real as actual RL. I don't think distance play realy role here. They are close childhood friends and if age gap had any relevance it would show already in one or other way and If even character in-story jokingly call their bickering lovers qurrels, it's definitely worth of consideration.

But yes that's what they are, close childhood friends who started play SP to see each other (probably). I do agree it's not explitly romantic, so don't take that joke too seriously.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-11-14 at 02:39.
Old 2014-11-14, 04:26   Link #16
Namorax

Also, I don't think the protagonists EVER met outside the game. Their backgrounds are too diverse and they live too far apart from each other.

Besides Bell and Rick are more like tsukomi and boke... nobody takes him serious and he's always used for comedic relief.
EDIT: I'm not even 100% sure that one of the protagonists is a real person. I can't remember having read about her doing things in the real world like the other 3...
Old 2014-11-14, 04:35   Link #17
laclongquan

You mean Till, of course. That's at least one scene of her at the latest chapter, v2c7
Spoiler:

That's the start of her scene.
Old 2014-11-14, 04:38   Link #18
Namorax

Ah, that strange cell-like scene... thanks I totally forgot that one
Old 2014-11-14, 04:40   Link #19
Tenzen12

Nah everyone are real.

- Rick lived in Bel household in africa for several years due his diplomat parents.
- Kun lived (at least) four years in wildness until people who pursued him got killed by grizzly.
- Till, was bullied so she destroyed bulies reputation had several teachers fired or arrested and then she stoped attend school regulary and learn everything at home. Her mother is scientist who work on SP and with her she were pretty much first user.

And honestly saying that Rick is just comedy relief is same as claim Bel is musclehead or Till tokken loli. He is pilling influence, battle proves and recently even bright ideas.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2014-11-14 at 05:22.
Old 2014-11-14, 05:27   Link #20
laclongquan

Well, thinking in term of RPG

Rick is a charismatic player with skills in making connections.
Till is aiming at demi-human NPCs, specifically.
Kun is wizard par-excellence
Bell is magic warrior, Fighter/Mage multiclass, or more like specialized-Fighter/Mage.

Tags
comedy, multiple protagonists, virtual reality