AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-12-29, 01:38   Link #1
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This thread is to be used for discussing the printed adaptations of of Valvrave the Liberator. This include the two manga by Karega Tsuchiya and Ichiya Sazanami. There are also two spinoffs, Ryūsei no Valkyrie and Uragiri no Rakuin, focused on the characters of Saki Rukino and A-drei, respectively. There is also a 4koma series as well as a manga anthology.

Besides manga there have been two light novel series: An adaptation of the series and the spin-off Undertaker.

Also, please don't link to any scanlation sites as it is against AnimeSuki's Forum Policy. Enjoy the discussion.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2013-12-29 at 09:48.
Mad Pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-29, 03:54   Link #2
zztop

So what details does the LN adaptation of Valvrave include that were not present in the anime?

And does anyone know what happens in Undertaker yet?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-03, 19:01   Link #3
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Undertaker focuses on two New JIOR members called Jin and Nao who pilot new mechas known as Kagerou. I don't know much about the mission. It appears it starts in season 2's beginning before the Valvrave pilot went to Earth.

The only notable piece of information I foun about the LN version of Valvrave is the infamous epiosde 10's event. We get more thoughts about Saki and even actions but it still happens.
Old 2014-01-05, 22:43   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The manga anthology focuses on really random stories. Probably the best part is when L-elf believes that Haruto is saying that somebody will (I'm not kidding) masturbate to Lieselotte's pic. Also there is a Super Valvrave

Old 2014-01-08, 09:22   Link #5
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
The manga anthology focuses on really random stories. Probably the best part is when L-elf believes that Haruto is saying that somebody will (I'm not kidding) masturbate to Lieselotte's pic.
That's not right. The chapter is based on L-Elf misunderstanding everything Haruto says to be about Liselotte's photo when he's actually texting Shoko about ruining her cow shirt (texting out loud...). He starts dissing her taste (which L-Elf hears as him dissing Liselotte). The final straw comes when Shoko threatens to not share any of her hell spawn cooking with Haruto and he comments "Are you actually going to eat that thing?" which can be misinterpreted as "Do you actually fap to that?", which lead to L-Elf trying to kill him.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 07:46   Link #6
kiak666

Hmm, it seems that someone has translated the epilogue of the third and final official novel.

It seems that in the end, the world was divided into three factions:

1) ARUS, which are now composed of humans that are Anti-Magius/Kamitsuki.

2) Remnants from the Council of 101, worshiped and supported by humans who wished to seek immortality.

3) Third Galactic Empire, formed by survivors of Neo-Jior, Dorssian Royalists and and a few Magius whom shared Lieselotte's dream of coexistence with humans.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-11, 22:42   Link #7
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post
Hmm, it seems that someone has translated the epilogue of the third and final official novel.

2) Remnants from the Council of 101, worshiped and supported by humans who wished to seek immortality.

3) Third Galactic Empire, formed by survivors of Neo-Jior, Dorssian Royalists and and a few Magius whom shared Lieselotte's dream of coexistence with humans.
This sounds like the perfect setup for a third season, which is really unfortunate since I'm kinda doubting there'll ever be one.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 01:16   Link #8
LightDragonman

Hey, there still is that fan event coming up on the 20th of April. Maybe they'll announce something there, as the sales, while not amazing, haven't been too shabby for this series.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 02:02   Link #9
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

If there is a season 3, I say new writers
Old 2014-03-12, 02:05   Link #10
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
If there is a season 3, I say new writers
Okouchi's fine, I'd say we need a new director.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 02:15   Link #11
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Okouchi's fine, I'd say we need a new director.
At least give him an editor.
Old 2014-03-12, 02:33   Link #12
LightDragonman

Indeed.

I'm still bitter about the decision to just leave Saki behind in Dorssian territory for example.
Old 2014-03-12, 03:12   Link #13
DevilHighDxD
Zero Two Best waifu 2018

I'm still very much bitter on the treatment Saki received throughout the series. If Saki were to suffer similarity in a hypothetical sequel, I rather there will be no sequel at all. Best girl deserved better treatment and Okouchi need to hand off anything related to Saki.

Off topic, the nostalgic of the Valvrave's sub-forum is sure coming back to me~
Old 2014-03-12, 14:26   Link #14
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiak666 View Post

That definitely sounds like it can take the story somewhere.

I figured as much with 3GR's situation. Kurohane, looks like you could be right about the Dorssian King. Still, if the royalists comprise the 3GR, what about the ones that do support the Dorssia that was under a dictatorship?

Looks like the Council of 101 is gonna need a new name...lol (Lame, joke was lame.)

Here's to hoping that the upcoming fan event gives us what we're hoping for.

DevilHigh, I wouldn't worry too much. It looks like FutureSaki was doing pretty fine, doesn't look like she got the Dorssian treatment again. Then again, A LOT can happen in 200 years, so I'm not sure either...lol
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-12, 23:23   Link #15
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
At least give him an editor.
His background shows that he is more capable than most editors in the industry. In Japanese publishing industry, they select editors from college graduate. He and Yoshino both graduated from Waseda University. The university is known for its excellence in literature. I was thinking it was their fault for the lousy dialogues, but I am changing my opinion. If they sing "boku ja nai", I am thinking it is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
Indeed.

I'm still bitter about the decision to just leave Saki behind in Dorssian territory for example.
The good thing is Sunrise did not overdo it. You know...what happened to Saki...can be worse. In this brighter route, Saki became the bridge between Michael and Adrei's friendship. Their friendship was ruined. Adrei swore to hurt Michael really really bad. Also, Saki turns from POW to rescuer. It is as if she's living the life of John Rambo(of movie Rambo 2). In the middle of the story, Saki(Rambo)'s stealth mission is in disaster. Saki is stripped of her jump suit and putted into straijacket and gas mask. Dorassian already treats her as the doctor(of Silent of Lamb). However, she cannot pull off the escape stunt. After suffering some "minor torture", Saki(Rambo) manages to escape with some surprising assistance. During her escape, Saki(Rambo) managed to knock down some fascist mecha. She managed to save Haruto and Michael. So, it was a happy ending.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 01:00   Link #16
LightDragonman

Good point.

I guess I'm just ticked that they made almost no-one in JIOR give a rip about her status. When they returned with her still in Dorssian territory, rather than ask about her, or heck, even show some concern, they just act all happy and plan festivities. That really doesn't sit well with me.

On the note of A-Drei, I really don't like the pairing of him with Saki that the fanbase apparently does. I, mean, I get that he helped her escape, and that he isn't all that bad of a guy, but I still can't get over the fact that he was directly responsible for her capture and subsequent humiliation. That just makes puts a bad taste in my mouth, regardless of whether or not he released her.
Old 2014-03-13, 06:59   Link #17
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
His background shows that he is more capable than most editors in the industry. In Japanese publishing industry, they select editors from college graduate. He and Yoshino both graduated from Waseda University. The university is known for its excellence in literature. I was thinking it was their fault for the lousy dialogues, but I am changing my opinion. If they sing "boku ja nai", I am thinking it is possible.
I'm not putting it all on the writing. It's the sum of it's parts. It had some cool concepts and ideas, but the execution could have been better. One of the reasons I say bring in someone new as a writer is someone who will do something better with the characters. One of the main complaints I had with Valvrave was that it was hard to find someone that I really cared about and could get behind in the cast. Even though I liked the characters of Cain and Kyuuma, even Haruto, they could have been much more. Characterized better. One of the problems I had with L-Elf's character was that I never felt invested in his character or his mission. Potential new season, I would like someone who would put more work into the characters and how they're developed.

But at the same time, the show did feel like it was cut short. Like they had more planned, but executives stepped in and told them to wrap it up earlier than thought.
Old 2014-03-13, 10:46   Link #18
Fjoergyn

Saki manga seems to bring freshness to the story so we can get a more enjoyable epilogue.

Drama CD in May
Fjoergyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-13, 12:56   Link #19
Kurohane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
That definitely sounds like it can take the story somewhere.

I figured as much with 3GR's situation. Kurohane, looks like you could be right about the Dorssian King. Still, if the royalists comprise the 3GR, what about the ones that do support the Dorssia that was under a dictatorship?

Looks like the Council of 101 is gonna need a new name...lol (Lame, joke was lame.)

Here's to hoping that the upcoming fan event gives us what we're hoping for.

DevilHigh, I wouldn't worry too much. It looks like FutureSaki was doing pretty fine, doesn't look like she got the Dorssian treatment again. Then again, A LOT can happen in 200 years, so I'm not sure either...lol
It does seem that the LN gave us more info on what happened after the battle with Cain. While no doubt the LN has things different from the anime, they basically ended the same way. Well, it seems this was the situation before the 200 year timeskip, when the Third Galactic empire took over everything. I still feel as if we'll just get summaries of what happened though, because our next point should be Third Galactic Year 214, where we last saw Saki. That scene must have relevance, and once we know what's going on there, we'll have a better picture on how the story will move forward.

I figured the Royalists and New Jior teamed up. The royalists could have taken the opportunity to insert their king into power during that time. The New JIOR kids wouldn't suspect it either. L-elf could have seen and tried to prevent it, but again his major problem is that the Sakimori students aren't as military trained as him.

Fingers crossed for the event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjoergyn View Post
Saki manga seems to bring freshness to the story so we can get a more enjoyable epilogue.

Drama CD in May
Another thing to look forward to in May.
Old 2014-03-13, 17:22   Link #20
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjoergyn View Post

Drama CD in May
Oh? So Ryuusei no Otome expands on the epilogue?

Do we get to see her reaction to Haruto's death?