AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2023-10-29, 08:08   Link #1
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Question Latest good mature anime

Hey guys! So, I'm an old guy now, and I can't watch more shounen or anime with a young MC anymore. I had enough and I just can't relate. I'm looking for some good recommendations about mature anime with mature characters, if possible new stuff, love me some oldies too but I've watched most of them. I'll watch any genre but I'm more into Sci-fi and horror. Please no fan service or echi BS. Some of my favorite shows are:

Akira
GITS
Vinland Saga
Berserk
Bokurano
Mushishi
Parasyte
Hellsing
Monster
Master Keaton
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Space Brothers
Black Lagoon
Goblin Slayer
Kaiji
Knights of sidonia
Blame!
Legend of the galactic heroes

Thanks for your help guys and gals!
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-30, 23:18   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Pluto just released in full. Aka from Urusawa (Monster/Keaton).

Frieren and Apothecary Diaries are proper, non-modern isekai fantasy/medieval series.

Odd Taxi is a very unique noir thriller.

Summertime Rendering, while technically released within Shounen Jump, isn't shounen. It's more like anti-shounen. Sci-fi thriller with a very mature cast (despite the age of some) and the most detail/rationale I've seen in a non-Urusawa title.

Hakumei and Mikochi is a very mature slice of life of tiny people in the late 1800s.

Penguin Highway is an usually mature scifi kids film of an 8 year old boy and the 24 year old woman he has a crush on solving a mystery involving penguins.

Last edited by Last Sinner; 2023-10-31 at 00:01.
Last Sinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-01, 13:32   Link #3
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I am not sure why you called Frieren and Apothecary Diaries isekais. The former is classical fantasy, while the latter is a historical fiction in the setting hevily inspired by late Ming dynasty China.

Isekai specifically means that the main character got transferred to another world, no reason to lump anything with fictional world as a setting with it.

But overall I am second on this list.

I will also add a relatively not so old series Yomigaeru Sora - realistic anime about everyday job of JP rescuers.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-10, 09:58   Link #4
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

It's sad how the word shonen is used by people nowadays like it's a bad thing. Also, it's hard to avoid wanting fanservice when one of the main characters from Black Lagoon barely wears clothing.

If there are anime that made me cry, it's the first episode of To Your Eternity and the first episodes of Stein Gate 0 and at least the former is shonen.

What about shojo? The themes of Tokyo Babylon are pretty serious but I admit the first I read I was quite homophobic when thinking about the premise.

Trigun also started as a shonen manga but due to a change of publisher it was moved to a seinen manga demography.
Old 2023-11-12, 12:50   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
It's sad how the word shonen is used by people nowadays like it's a bad thing. Also, it's hard to avoid wanting fanservice when one of the main characters from Black Lagoon barely wears clothing.

If there are anime that made me cry, it's the first episode of To Your Eternity and the first episodes of Stein Gate 0 and at least the former is shonen.

What about shojo? The themes of Tokyo Babylon are pretty serious but I admit the first I read I was quite homophobic when thinking about the premise.

Trigun also started as a shonen manga but due to a change of publisher it was moved to a seinen manga demography.
Yeah, "Shounen" is more about what magazine it's published in than what age it's made for. I mean, Shinu Hodo Kimi no Shojo ga Hoshii (I Would Die to Have Your First Time) is considered "Shounen" because it was published on an online Shounen manga magazine, but it won't take you any time to realize that this should be for college students at the bare minimum, and not just because the MC is technically 30.

Either way, sorry that I can't offer much in the way of suggestions, though honestly the series I've seen among your list I wouldn't actually call "mature" so much as "edgy".
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-11-13, 05:33   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Another voye for Odd Taxi
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen, seinen anime suggestions