Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-09-03, 12:54   Link #21
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
I didn't quite like 0083 as much in the beginning, but I thought that Nina really dragged the latter part of the show down. I'm usually fairly tolerant of characters, but she has the dubious honor of being one of the two anime characters that I actually despise.
The truth. If Kaoru from Kenshin's the other one then we're on the exact same page.

There are several anime characters who annoy me, but very rarely do they SINGLE-HANDEDLY ruin an entire series...Nina Purpleton is one of those characters, a blight upon anime, a Lynn Minmay, a "eff the whole thing up" button if you will. Man, I wish she had died in the end.

*wishes a cool Gundam female like Aina/Rain would come out and slug her*
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 09:31   Link #22
Gundam Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizoku Luffy
What? What's bad about that?
"The Titans" thought that if taking peoples lives away from space colonies will cause more peace! "The Titans" are nothing but assassins!
Gundam Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 20:43   Link #23
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
"The Titans" thought that if taking peoples lives away from space colonies will cause more peace! "The Titans" are nothing but assassins!
Not defending the Titans or anything, but good old Zeon killed far more people than the Titans ever did...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 21:30   Link #24
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Pilot
No, they're fascists who try to keep people in line by use of force and threats regarding the use of even more force.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 23:37   Link #25
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon
The truth. If Kaoru from Kenshin's the other one then we're on the exact same page.

There are several anime characters who annoy me, but very rarely do they SINGLE-HANDEDLY ruin an entire series...Nina Purpleton is one of those characters, a blight upon anime, a Lynn Minmay, a "eff the whole thing up" button if you will. Man, I wish she had died in the end.

*wishes a cool Gundam female like Aina/Rain would come out and slug her*
Heh, can't say I hate Nina Purpleton (I hate the name, though). She came off more realistically as a character than say... anyone from CE. Yes, although I love CE, and I love its characters, deep down, CE is nothing more than... pure fantasy. In fact, its so 'fantastic' it cannot be redeemed by any measure of 'realism'.

Anyway, for a woman her age, Nina must have been through a lot, especially when she is involved with something as serious as a Gundam. Its only natural for her to be confused and indecisive from time to time. Although I do admit, I disliked her indecisiveness, but not to the point where I completely loath the character

Lynn Minmay came off in the beginning as an annoying brat, but she redeemed herself later on (I am referring to DYRL). So gotta give her credit there.

But Aina is one of those rare female characters we should really see more of. She has the kind of strong will that people can put their trust on. A person of reliance. You don't see many of those around. Not to mention, MS08 is as close to a war drama as Gundam could be. Unlike the more fantasy-driven G Gundam, Wing and of course, SEED.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2006-09-05 at 09:24.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 01:35   Link #26
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah...if you think about it overall, the Titans, while they may not have killed as many people as Zeon, are far worse in general than the Zeon ever were, even under the leadership of power-hungry scoundrels like Gihren.

At least, if only in the beginning, the Zeon only committed such acts for the sake of their homeland and freedom. (like gassing the colonies for colony drops and such)

The Titans, on the other hand, only made such acts to instill fear in the people and maintain an iron grip over everybody else and nothing else while under the guise of "maintaining peace".

I sort of relate the Titans to the Galactic Empire of Star Wars during the times of Episodes IV, V and VI, lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 20:28   Link #27
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera
At least, if only in the beginning, the Zeon only committed such acts for the sake of their homeland and freedom. (like gassing the colonies for colony drops and such)
Gassing and nuking colonies where civilians lived because they were following the Earth Federation isn't exactly justifiable. It's like saying that 9/11 was justifiable because the US supports Saudi Arabia and Osama bin Laden wants the fascists there overthrown, which of course is a ridiculous statement to make.

Quote:
The Titans, on the other hand, only made such acts to instill fear in the people and maintain an iron grip over everybody else and nothing else while under the guise of "maintaining peace".

I sort of relate the Titans to the Galactic Empire of Star Wars during the times of Episodes IV, V and VI, lol.
Faulty comparison. The Emperor closed down the Senate and granted his military commanders full provincial governmental rights, the EA bureucracy and government is still an independent entity at the height of the Titans' atrocities. A better comparison would be to compare them with the Jedi Knights during the reign of the Republic, a special task force to "preserve the peace" and use "aggressive negotiations", only with plenty of less scruples and with ideological hatred fueling them.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 08:57   Link #28
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Heh, can't say I hate Nina Purpleton (I hate the name, though). She came off more realistically as a character than say... anyone from CE. Yes, although I love CE, and I love its characters, deep down, CE is nothing more than... pure fantasy. In fact, its so 'fantastic' it cannot be redeemed by any measure of 'realism'.
I don't think that neither Nina's indecisiveness nor her relative realism have anything to do with my loathing her. I dislike her because of her stupidity, selfishness, and that she was allowed such a sensitive position to begin with. In particular, she wondered why Kou and Gato had to fight illustrates that. Perhaps she didn't notice the fact that Gato had just nuked thousands of Kou's (and her) compatriots, or maybe she just didn't care. Pulling the pistol on Kou later only mad things worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
But Aina is one of those rare female characters we should really see more of. She has the kind of strong will that people can put their trust on. A person of reliance. You don't see many of those around. Not to mention, MS08 is as close to a war drama as Gundam could be. Unlike the more fantasy-driven G Gundam, Wing and of course, SEED.
Aina is one of the better-written female Gundam characters, but I don't think that the choice she made at the end was very poor. Trying to evacuate the ship in the face of the Federation siege was both foolish and futile. As it was a hostile vessel, there wasn't any reason for the Federation to not shoot it down, and there was nothing the Zeon forces could do to protect it. It would have made a lot more sense for them to simply surrender.

Even so, Aina did things for humanistic reasons, and I still like her for that.
Old 2006-09-06, 09:29   Link #29
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran

Aina is one of the better-written female Gundam characters, but I don't think that the choice she made at the end was very poor. Trying to evacuate the ship in the face of the Federation siege was both foolish and futile. As it was a hostile vessel, there wasn't any reason for the Federation to not shoot it down, and there was nothing the Zeon forces could do to protect it. It would have made a lot more sense for them to simply surrender.

Even so, Aina did things for humanistic reasons, and I still like her for that.
Surrender was not an option. The Feddy commander, as we have observed, is a psychopath! Surrendering to him would have probably given him the perfect opportunity for a mass execution.

Aina of course, had the capacity to nuke the Feddy base if she chose to. Unfortunately for her, she had not the will to press the trigger, which the Feddy commander knew very well of, especially after she opened her cockpit and demonstrated her naiveness of the matter. All in all, she was doing it for the best of two sides (or she thought she was), except her lack of a willpower became her downfall.

Well, at least her brother redeemed himself by completing the job (of nuking the Feddie base)...

- Tak
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 16:51   Link #30
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
yep, Aina's biggest flaw was being naive, but i think that makes her one of the better female characters in gundam unlike some of which we have seen.
Old 2006-09-06, 22:42   Link #31
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Surrender was not an option. The Feddy commander, as we have observed, is a psychopath! Surrendering to him would have probably given him the perfect opportunity for a mass execution.
We're going a little off-topic here, but I don't think that that's necessarily true at all.
Old 2006-09-07, 14:48   Link #32
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
all the Ryer wanted was to prove himself to General Revil, and he was willing to do anything to prove it.
Old 2007-01-30, 23:51   Link #33
gp02

I thought that Nina likes Uraki
gp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-30, 23:57   Link #34
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah...?? and..? o_o
Old 2007-01-31, 00:11   Link #35
gp02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveKiyone View Post
OMFG!!! 0083 IS MY FAV GUNDAM SERIES OF ALL TIME!!! These young
whippersnappers that are swooning over gundam seed need some re-educatin'!
Kick-ass Mech designs, rockin' 80's-esque soundtrack, a storyline which flawlessly
closes the gap between 0079 and zeta, the most spectacular mobile armor on
mobile weapon action ever, and finally, the damn sexiest mobile suit ever, AMX-04
Gerbera Tetra! This show is perfect.
It is mine too
gp02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:11   Link #36
warrenw
Patriarchal Member

Question The sequel in Gundam 0083

Im a little confused with something in the last episode of 0083.....
Where on earth did the colony hit??? and what exactly Gato did to the colony, changed its route as it should crash to Jaburo?
warrenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 21:17   Link #37
M L Monster
三尉

Gato changed its route to North America where it has the Federation's Food Resources(? not sure)

This weakened the Earth Federation and made way for the Axis Forces for invasion 4 years later.
M L Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 23:11   Link #38
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

As mentioned, it struck mid-western North America, but most likely that is where the Delaz Fleet planned to drop it all along. The Federation merely looked at the "worst-case scenario" which was the colony hitting Jaburo and they focused all their attention and effort on that.

Gato merely programmed in the final coordinates, which gave it a more precise drop location. Where exactly that was is unknown.
Old 2009-01-06, 08:56   Link #39
mikoo
Banned

http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/2009/

Last edited by mikoo; 2009-01-06 at 09:55.
mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-06, 09:04   Link #40
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I like 0083, but why does it deserve the remake?