Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2022-10-21, 07:21   Link #1
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Netflix reconsiders role of anime

Quote:
Another executive at another anime production company said, "Not only have the number of projects that go through have decreased, but there have been cases where projects that were about to start moving suddenly stopped, so the impact is serious." Several people involved in anime production have told similar stories, and Netflix is ​​believed to be reducing the number of anime productions in Japan from 2022. It is also the time when the number of members has started to decline, and there is a growing view that they are reducing animation production in order to cut costs.
https://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/627318 (auto-translates to English)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 09:58   Link #2
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
As far as french internet users are concerned, it's actually anime that make them stay on Netflix. The rest it's either cooking shows, animal documentaries. They are not watching Netflix for, I quote, "Twitter propaganda".
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-21, 10:05   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

They might re-reconsider now that their numbers shot up again.

I certainly don't keep Netflix for anime, personally. I can count on one hand the number of good anime they've put out. The fuckers have also ruined Jojo with their batch releases. Koutaro lives alone and Cyberpunk Edgerunners are the only two good anime I've seen this year on their platform.
Old 2022-10-21, 12:15   Link #4
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Hmm, so what happened to Isekai Ojisan is indeed a precedent.

Then again, AFAIK dominating titles of Netflix are not their titles.
Last time I saw its Hunter x Hunter and Cardcaptor Sakura instead of, well, their titles like Violet Evergarden, Ultraman, etc.
So it looks normal to me if they cut some help to anime production as amount of people maintaining membership declining.

Really doubt Edgerunners popularity will change their mind as amount of tries to reach that point would be considered no good, while the popular title as mentioned only proven its better to fund big names like JoJo, Saint Seiya than betting on weird titles like Reincarnated as Sword; popular ones, propaganda, as long it sells.
Old 2022-10-21, 12:15   Link #5
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They might re-reconsider now that their numbers shot up again.

I certainly don't keep Netflix for anime, personally. I can count on one hand the number of good anime they've put out. The fuckers have also ruined Jojo with their batch releases. Koutaro lives alone and Cyberpunk Edgerunners are the only two good anime I've seen this year on their platform.
I'm looking forward to Romance Killer...
Old 2022-10-21, 18:40   Link #6
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Netflix making less anime?
Yes! Do it! DO IT!

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-23, 08:53   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Netflix has been frustrating at times with anime, especially with distribution (less so than Disney). But they've done some very good work lately - Extraterrestrial Boys and Girls, Godzilla SP, Great Pretender, Kotarou et al. They've been getting better.

Most importantly, they're an influx of money into the industry, albeit most of it isn't going where it should yet, and they aren't making the same cookie-cutter shows we're mostly getting through the production committee system. I think if you're celebrating Netflix getting out of anime, you're effectively saying a third of the schedule being Isekai adaptations and CGDCT shows on shoestring budgets isn't enough - you want it to be even more.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-23, 18:17   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Most importantly, they're an influx of money into the industry, albeit most of it isn't going where it should yet, and they aren't making the same cookie-cutter shows we're mostly getting through the production committee system. I think if you're celebrating Netflix getting out of anime, you're effectively saying a third of the schedule being Isekai adaptations and CGDCT shows on shoestring budgets isn't enough - you want it to be even more.
I'm watching a dozen shows this season and not a single one is Isekai. And it's not like Netflix produces a massive amount of anime per season, it's just one or two. Them washing their hands off anime wouldn't matter much, just like Amazon doing the same didn't end mattering.
Old 2022-10-23, 21:31   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Considering the success of Edgerunners, Netflix pulling out of anime production is weird.

That said, fewer anime with good quality is still better than a ton of run-of-the-mills.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-24, 03:26   Link #10
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Netflix need for increase of subscribers is no different than committee need for source material sales boost.
Isekai and CGDCT sold well and generated more writers than other genre in Japan so we got a barrage of it. If Netflix data shown Isekai and CGDCT are the one doing well on their libraries, then it won't be different. Them funding titles like Eden Zero, CG Saint Seiya and JoJo: Stone Ocean is reflecting how shonen did pretty well on contributing numbers than most of their original titles.

It down to either Netflix focusing on more popular attribute for better subscribers number to keep things alive or pull the plug and not looking back.

It already happened on several anime streaming service. At first it looks like they have nice selection of titles; as time goes it started focusing on what makes their top dog popular for effectiveness and efficiency. Service A, Fairy Tail have highest amount of viewers, grab all actions they could; service B, SAO is popular, power fantasy and isekai easily dominates their licensing choice (it helps that they're cheaper than big titles), things like that. They didn't completely ditch other genre, but surely you can't expect every works is a big hit friendly to casual audience like Spy x Family or enticing enough to ensure mouth-to-mouth marketing like Edgerunners.
Old 2022-10-24, 21:34   Link #11
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Them washing their hands off anime wouldn't matter much, just like Amazon doing the same didn't end mattering.
Prime Video anime was a nightmare to find unless you knew what you were looking for. They had a few gems though like Made in Abyss, Happy Sugar Life, and a couple others. In all honesty they had an interesting selection overall.

Netflix had more of a WTF selection. For some reason I got randomly into a few 4/10 series on Netflix just because I had a shared password though; shit like Japan Sinks 2020 or Children of the Whales. They had a fixation on 3DCG anime too, though it worked for series like Hi Score Girl. I won't miss Netflix jail, but Disney jail is even worse now.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan netflix, netflix