AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2004-05-11, 10:47   Link #1
ParaParaJMo

Send a message via AIM to ParaParaJMo
Looking for Z Gundam

Well, I first checked the site's licencsing list and didn't find it. I just wanted to know if I could find torrents of Z Gundam (subbed or raw). Your help is most appreciated.
ParaParaJMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 11:08   Link #2
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Licensed and slated for a 10 disc boxed set release this September from Bandai Entertainment.

Gundam is licensed. All of it. This should be obvious by now.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 12:15   Link #3
ShinDragon

I thought it was 12 discs? I hope nothing's been taken out tho.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 13:19   Link #4
microlith

10 most likely since that's an even 5 episodes per disc (unless something's changed and it's MORE discs.)

Either way us rabid fans get to jump on the complete boxed set first.
Old 2004-05-11, 13:24   Link #5
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
10 most likely since that's an even 5 episodes per disc (unless something's changed and it's MORE discs.)

Either way us rabid fans get to jump on the complete boxed set first.
I owned the R2 DVDs.. and it's 12 discs.... that's why I was wondering about the NA's 10 discs release.
Old 2004-05-11, 15:19   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
<deleted> Oh and by the way not all of Gundam is licensed yet. Victory, Double Zeta, After War Gundam X and Turn A are still up in the air. My biggest worry about Zeta Gundam being aired over in the U.S (Like Canada will ever get anything but Wing) is that it will be chopped to bits (Thirty Bunch Episode) and that Kamille will have a crappy voice actor (Better not be Brad Swaile, poor Amuro) (Hopefully they realize he's a guy, I trust Bandai but not CN)

Last edited by xris; 2004-05-11 at 15:34. Reason: Please read the forum rules
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 15:31   Link #7
microlith

Even if they haven't stated it officially, Jerry is quoted as saying "it's not if, but when" and when is simply a matter of time.

Z Gundam is not going on TV. After MSG doing poorly on TV (worse than DBZ reruns) Bandai and CN decided to jump on Gundam SEED simply cause it's newer and flashier. This is why Z Gundam is getting a big boxed set release (it's been delayed repeatedly for TV,) as a "sorry about that" for the fans.

Also, the dub studios between MSG and Z Gundam have changed (same for the game as well) so no, no one has their previous dub voices.

Last edited by microlith; 2004-05-11 at 15:58.
Old 2004-05-11, 15:50   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Yeah I heard about how poorly MSG did on CN. Its really a shame because it is written so much better than Gundam Seed. Tomino really is a skilled Chief Director and I find a lot of Gundam Series without him at the helm to be lacking a certain feel (Mainly Wing and Seed). I guess people just don't appreciate the classics anymore (I'd give anything to see MSG but unfortunately the only version I can find of it is a strange Italian Dub where Amuro Rei is named Peter Ray. Oh and it looks like I got modded (Have to remember not to post illegal stuff anymore)
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 15:58   Link #9
microlith

Might I suggest grabbing Bandai's Mobile Suit Gundam Movies boxed set?

Fairly cheap and all 3 movies are sub-only. It's not the whole series but if you want to have something of the origin with subtitles, it's your only route.
Old 2004-05-11, 18:24   Link #10
Silver_Scorcher

According to Gundam Plus, the Zeta boxed set is scheduled for September 7th. It was delayed long enough, thanks to the licensing of Gundam SEED, with Zeta having supposed to have been released this passed fall. Gundam F-91 (Taking place after Char's Counterattack), is supposed to come out on DVD sometime this year as well. It seems that the newest series Gundam SEED has taken over the Gundam spotlight while the classic UC series have been put on the back burner. It's kind of aggravating considering that Zeta and F-91 were licensed before SEED, and SEED was the first to air/distribute in North America. The dubbing studio will be from Ocean Group's American studio, which to me personally isn't as good as the one in Vancouver. Well, I've seen bits and pieces of Zeta already, and I'm perfectly happy watching it in Japanese. While Zeta isn't getting the treatment it deserves, it's safe to say that Bandai will soon license Gundam ZZ (double zeta) and possibly Victory Gundam which is the last Universal Century series. After that, all that's left is Gundam X and Turn A Gundam. I hope X gets licensed (my favourite Gundam to date) but given its undeserved treatment in Japan, and with rumors of a sequel to Gundam SEED, it likely won't be licensed either.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 18:30   Link #11
microlith

X will be released, no doubt. It will probably be the last to be done though, due to its shorter than normal run of only 39 episodes and its (IMO) lacking storyline, especially in the later arc of the story.

I want to see Turn A, partly due to the interesting designs (by Syd Mead) but also because of the awesome soundtrack by Yoko Kanno.
Old 2004-05-11, 18:39   Link #12
Silver_Scorcher

Before I knew about Gundam SEED, and having seen Gundam X a couple of years ago, I figured that X would be the next series to be licensed or even Turn A because they were the most recent Gundam series at the time. I guessed wrong. If there was one series that I thought for sure wouldn't be licensed, it was G Gundam, simply due to its sheer goofiness and insensitivity for the first half of the show. Low and behold, G Gundam was licensed, with Zeta & F-91 to follow a year later. I guess if G Gundam could be licensed then surely X can be as well. I've never seen Turn A, but I'd be interested in seeing it.
Silver_Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-11, 19:30   Link #13
ParaParaJMo

Never knew it was licenced that long. I'll most defenitley get the DVD set when it comes out. Does anyone know how much it is estimated to be? Because the Best Buy near my house usually sells it almost 40% cheaper than retail price.

Guess Gundam ZZ has yet to be licenced as well. I haven't watched Z Gundam in almost 15 years . I still need to get the Gundam triology on DVD and 0080 and 0083. Has Last Blitz of Zeon at all been licenced as well?
Old 2004-05-11, 20:26   Link #14
Quiddity
Emma Fan

Quote:
The dubbing studio will be from Ocean Group's American studio, which to me personally isn't as good as the one in Vancouver.
Ocean to my knowledge doesn't have an American studio. They dumped Z Gundam to their Calgary studio, thats still Canada :P

Considering Bandai owns Sunrise, which produces everything Gundam, its safe to say that they already own EVERYTHING Gundam related. And hence, its all licensed and shouldn't be fansubbed, period, if the fansubbers have integrity and follow the unwritten code of only doing unlicensed stuff. Meaning of course that the Z Gundam movies and Seed 2, if it exists, should be left alone by the fansubbers...
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 00:42   Link #15
MrBrown

Remember that Bandai America is not the same as Bandai Japan. While Bandai America definetly gets first pickings for any shows Bandai Japan has, they're still not automatically their's.

Likewise, besides the "it's not if, it's when" quote, Jerry has also said he doesn't mind people fansubbing Gundam shows they (Bandai America) haven't announced.

So, take it the way you want.
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 01:52   Link #16
microlith

Bandai Japan and Sunrise will not let Gundam out of the family.

And my theory on what Jerry said about fansubbing gundam came about due to trash talk and baseless badmouthing of him personally and Bandai in general by fansubbers and other leechers.
Old 2004-05-12, 03:20   Link #17
MrBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
And my theory on what Jerry said about fansubbing gundam came about due to trash talk and baseless badmouthing of him personally and Bandai in general by fansubbers and other leechers.
Hmm, not sure what you're responding to here, but if it's my post, that's not true.

I was part of a group that fansubbed Seed, and after Jerry came online and asked group to stop that (and Zeta), someone in our group phoned him and asked about other gundam series. In that phone conversation he said he wouldn't mind subbing of gundam series' they haven't announced.

I took that to mean that they (Bandai America) don't have other series licensed = they can't take any legal action against fansubbers = he (Jerry) doesn't want say anything official on behalf of the company because they don't have legal rights to anything.

Of course, this has no effect on the likelihood of them releasing all of Gundam eventually in any case (Well, maybe not SD ).
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-12, 07:46   Link #18
Quiddity
Emma Fan

Quote:
Remember that Bandai America is not the same as Bandai Japan. While Bandai America definetly gets first pickings for any shows Bandai Japan has, they're still not automatically their's.
Well, on the day that ADV brings us Gundam X or Turn A Gundam, etc... we can say thats accurate. Bandai of America is part of the Bandai company. The Bandai company owns Sunrise. Hence, all Gundam anime is their property, whether you guys want to admit it or not. I'm sure there are many employees in Bandai like Jerry Chu who don't care if you in this current time fansub something like Turn A Gundam thats years off and is one of the lower profile Gundam shows. I think they'll take a completely different stance if a Gundam Seed 2 comes out. All I'm saying is any fansubber who goes around saying "I'm a righteous fansubber, I only do stuff that isn't licensed" is deceiving themselves when it comes to Gundam shows.

And frankly if Jerry Chu doesn't care, what exactly does that say about the head honchos at Bandai? He only works for the marketting dept, he doesn't have any actual say in policy. And he loves to lie to and deceive loyal Bandai/Gundam fans, I know from personal experience regarding the very show this thread's about. Just because he says he doesn't care doesn't mean Bandai doesn't care. (and for all we know, when he said the Z Gundam box was coming out on 9/7/2004, he could have been blatantly lying then too)
Quiddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-13, 17:02   Link #19
ParaParaJMo

You never know. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was first licenced in like 1998 and it didn't come out until barely this year.
Old 2004-05-13, 18:00   Link #20
ShinDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaParaJMo
You never know. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was first licenced in like 1998 and it didn't come out until barely this year.

Talk about "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure".... it's out of print already, too. (Vol.1 with Box)
I wonder if the company wants to make money or not? This is very odd.